Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2010, 04:48 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,875,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Around 8pm. I like daylight, especially for driving.
Yes, the sun sets 8-9pm in the summer, which I love as well. And I'm with you, I hate driving at night, rainy and dark, and I'm definitely not driving!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 04:52 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,738,466 times
You want sunlight and cold jeesh lol - you want everything - just kidding. Glad to know it gets darker later there I like that idear!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:16 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,545,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
You want sunlight and cold jeesh lol - you want everything - just kidding. Glad to know it gets darker later there I like that idear!
In the winter the sun sets about an hour later in Miami than NY

Old 02-03-2010, 06:33 AM

561 posts, read 1,915,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llong View Post
Once again at the near end of NY winter and every year I contimplate a move. From those who lived in both places, which is better and why do you think so.....
After living 20+ years in NY/CT and 7 years here in FL, I knew after 3 years here that the lesser of the 2 evils (weather wise), is metro NY.

Looking at City-Data weather stats for NYC, it looks to me that the average daily daytime temps don't often drop below 40 UNTIL Late Dec through mid March. And I don't know about you, but I want it cold in December for the holidays anyway.

For me, anything below 30 is where I start to get uncomfortable outside in extended periods. On the flip side, anything above 80 here in FL from April-November is uncomfortable for me because of the humidity factor.

I'll take April-December in NYC metro ANY DAY of the week over April-December here.

Florida wins for January through March.

It comes down to NOT which place has a more extreme hot or cold climate, but which place enables me to spend more ACTUAL days outside for extended periods of time COMFORTABLE, without having to rely on a coat to keep me warm or a pool to keep me cool.

Last edited by markhunt; 02-03-2010 at 07:51 AM..

Old 02-03-2010, 06:46 AM

334 posts, read 1,146,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
In the winter the sun sets about an hour later in Miami than NY
And rises earlier in Miami as well. Of course in the summer, the opposite is true! The north gets longer summer days than the south, but shorter winter days than we do.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:52 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,726,445 times
I want to be a rich snowbird.....

Old 02-03-2010, 06:57 AM

5,806 posts, read 11,824,327 times
Winter in New York only lasts for 3 months??? As if. It's freezing cold from November to April, and Mays are rainy and cold as well. Lived in New York for 17 years.

You've got a point here! One doesn't need to go as far south as Florida, but I think any location North of 40° Lat (or North of ...20°Lt if its in the mountains) has a far too long winter to be enjoyable.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:34 AM

I hate to disappoint you but we haven't seen 40 in over a week and that was the high not the low - so who ever is posting that info is wrong 34 has been the high for a while now and if you think that is better than 90 you are welcome to it my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhunt View Post
After living 20+ years in NY/CT and 7 years here in FL, I knew after 3 years here that the lesser of the 2 evils (weather wise), is metro NY.

Looking at City-Data weather stats for NYC, it looks to me that the average daily daytime temps don't often drop below 40 from Late Dec through mid March. And I don't know about you, but I want it cold in December for the holidays anyway.

For me, anything below 30 is where I start to get uncomfortable outside in extended periods. On the flip side, anything above 80 here in FL from April-November is uncomfortable for me because of the humidity factor.

I'll take April-December in NYC metro ANY DAY of the week over April-December here.

Florida wins for January through March.

It comes down to NOT which place has a more extreme hot or cold climate, but which place enables me to spend more ACTUAL days outside for extended periods of time COMFORTABLE, without having to rely on a coat to keep me warm or a pool to keep me cool.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:59 AM

561 posts, read 1,915,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I hate to disappoint you but we haven't seen 40 in over a week and that was the high not the low - so who ever is posting that info is wrong 34 has been the high for a while now and if you think that is better than 90 you are welcome to it my friend!

Typographical error on my part. I meant to say:

Quote:
Looking at City-Data weather stats for NYC, it looks to me that the average daily daytime temps don't often drop below 40 UNTIL Late Dec through mid March.
Again stating that my "uncomfortable weather zone", is really around 3 months in metro NYC as opposed to 8-9 in FL.

I corrected my original post to reflect.

Last edited by markhunt; 02-03-2010 at 08:11 AM..

Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Typographical error on my part. I meant to say:

Again stating that my "uncomfortable weather zone", is really around 3 months in metro NYC as opposed to 8-9 in FL.

I corrected my original post to reflect.
Gotcha.

Here is my take - October & 1st half of November are chilly, but not so cold that it is unbearable if dressed in a warm jacket and light scarf and sometimes the use of gloves (the wind is really cold 99% of the time) temps are anywhere from 40-55 - late November it gets cold all the way through to Mid March - so, that is 4 solid months of cold, cold, cold weather - temps well under 40 - with the occassional warm-up for a day or 2 - you must wear a heavy coat, thick scarf jacket under the coat and warm gloves. Late March - end of April - temps are anywhere from 40-55 - with both the occassional warm and cold front allowing temps to be either colder or warmer for a few days. May 55-75 - with the same room for warm and cold fronts, and usually a lot of rain. June 70-85 with the same room for warm and cold fronts, but definitely on the warmer side with the HHH usually a daily factor. July and August (I love it) - 80-95 with the same room for warm and cold fronts, but mostly warm and HHH usually a daily factor. September is weird because right after Labor Day, I literally can smell Fall - this weather is comfortable, but you can feel the chill in the climate - 55-75, with a lot of rain - boooo!

I didn't go into the fact that the skies are very grey here, more often than not. That part is depressing.

So, really there is no wrong or right for anyone because everyone feels cold and hot differently, like markhunt said.

I personally feel a chill at 65 or below, I'm wearing a jacket in that weather unless the sun is beating down, then maybe not.

Others don't feel chilly until about 50 - big difference. I do think the heat is oppressive when in excess, but it is much easier to sit in the shade and watch a little league game than to run around trying to get warm watching one LOL. My boys played what they call Snowflake baseball - because sometimes the snow falls in late October early November. It is very difficult trying to keep little guys warm in a sport that requires you to wear less clothing. I am just not a cold weather person, but I don't think those who like cold weather are crazy, but I do think that we have to admit when cold is cold and hot is hot. I will never argue that Florida is Hellahot, but it boggles the mind when people can say that NY is not cold and in the same sentence say I love to wear layers and layers and layers of clothing (not you mark, I have read that in other posts). Your basically proving the point that yes it is cold - LOL - and Upstate - yuck that is even colder - I would never move there for that very reason. That being said we I think we must admit that NY is really cold for a solid 4 months, Cool for 3 months - chilly for 2.5 and really warm for .5 and just plain hot for 2 months. This is a rough estimate. Sometimes it gets hotter earlier in June allowing for more hot, but then it usually gets cool a little earlier at the end of August. SE Florida according to my sister who live there 2months of warm to cool (with room for cold and hot fronts - as seen this winter); 2 months of perfect weather; 2 months of warmer to hot; 1 month of hot to hot, hot; 3 months of hot, hot, hot; and 2 months of warmer to hot.

Given the choice I might choose a place more temperate like LA or something on the lower half of the west coast where the tempratures do not seem to be as extreme, but with that you have the fear of earthquakes - I don't like that idea too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida