Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:48 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,826,737 times

Advertisements

Instead of one extreme to another, why not move halfway to TN or the Carolina's? I just cant understand how picking one extreme (NY winters) over another extreme (FL summers) solves anything. Why not have 4 mild seasons and not have to deal with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 12:53 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,953,904 times
I don't have NY experience, but I do have Vermont and Ohio winter experience and Florida wins hands down! I find that if you don't keep the a/c too cold, it's easier to adapt to the weather down here. I've never been a hot weather person, but I've adapted just fine. In fact, Florida hot doesn't seem as uncomfortable as Ohio hot and certainly not as unbearable as DC hot.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:27 PM

284 posts, read 981,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
And I don't need to look at unattractive people wearing shorts and sandals year round.
Are you attractive and in shape ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Florida summers - hands down.

Winter in New York only lasts for 3 months??? As if. It's freezing cold from November to April, and Mays are rainy and cold as well. Lived in New York for 17 years.
exactly my thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I also second the previous comment about unattractive people wearing shorts and sandals.
Are you also attractive and in shape ?

Old 01-31-2010, 01:35 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,220,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
NY winters-I don't need temperatures in the 80s and 90s for nine months a year. And I don't need to look at unattractive people wearing shorts and sandals year round.
Especially the sandals with the socks.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:37 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,331,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Absolutely, NY winters. I also second the previous comment about unattractive people wearing shorts and sandals. If you think anything under 70 degrees is "winter", then yeah, it's winter in NY 9 months out of the year. I lived in NY for 58 years.
You are kidding right? It doesn't get 70 until way into May most of the years, and it's no longer 70 in November. Maybe in your home.
Sometimes New York gets warm fronts in the middle of April, it only lasts for couple of days and it doesn't happen every year. Lately, New York has even seen snow in April.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:45 PM

96 posts, read 283,345 times
I moved from NY to Florida when I retired. I tried it for two years, but the heat and humidity were too much for me. I'm back where it's cold, but I'm not complaining about it anymore.
I appreciate Spring and Fall in New York even more so.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:45 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,598,107 times
Default No, I am 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC View Post

exactly my thoughts

although a size 1. I didn't wear shorts in Florida even when I was 22 either. I certainly wouldn't NOW. I wear either capris or long pants. You can get lightweight long pants, you know.

It's the 300 lb people who are 50+ who should look in a mirror.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:48 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,598,107 times
Default I said

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
You are kidding right? It doesn't get 70 until way into May most of the years, and it's no longer 70 in November. Maybe in your home.
Sometimes New York gets warm fronts in the middle of April, it only lasts for couple of days and it doesn't happen every year. Lately, New York has even seen snow in April.
it's people who think anything BELOW 70 is WINTER. I never said it was 70 in November, but I don't think 40s or 50s, which it mostly IS in November, is cold. This past Thanksgiving it was in the 50s on Long Island. I was there. Actually, I was laughing while cooking the turkey thinking it went to 82 in Naples then.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:51 PM

4,972 posts, read 7,158,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC View Post

exactly my thoughts

Yes, I am. And if I had legs that looked like a topographical map of the Western United States and had gnarly, yellow toe nails, I wouldn't wear shorts and sandals.

Last edited by vaughanwilliams; 01-31-2010 at 02:33 PM..

Old 01-31-2010, 02:36 PM

275 posts, read 789,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCali View Post
I moved from NY to Florida when I retired. I tried it for two years, but the heat and humidity were too much for me. I'm back where it's cold, but I'm not complaining about it anymore.
I appreciate Spring and Fall in New York even more so.
Couldn't agree more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida