Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 09:53 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,218,845 times

Advertisements

Summer's in N.H. Winters in Fla
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:00 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,821,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
summers in the NC, SC, TN etc are often hotter than in FL.

Temperature-wise, they can be. It's the humidity in FL that's so brutal. Not only that, but the length of extreme heat and humidity doesn't last nearly as long either.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 26,590 times
Default Sammy

In the 90's that's it, that is beautiful! The way you people are talking I thought it was around 120 in the summer time. I would take that anytime compared to Old, Ugly, Cold, Dark, Nyc in the winter. I been to Florida many times it is beautiful all year long.

Last edited by Sammy 1253; 01-31-2010 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: add mor words

Old 01-31-2010, 11:13 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,329,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC View Post
That is 100% correct
That's the whole thing: I do not like to "bundle up". I don't like putting on my leggings to wear underneath the pants, I don't like putting on 3 layers of clothing underneath of a heavy jacket. My son also hated it, he hated layers. It's so much easier to just put on a pair of light pants and a shirt be off.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:15 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,329,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
it's people who think anything BELOW 70 is WINTER. I never said it was 70 in November, but I don't think 40s or 50s, which it mostly IS in November, is cold. This past Thanksgiving it was in the 50s on Long Island. I was there. Actually, I was laughing while cooking the turkey thinking it went to 82 in Naples then.
Well, to each its own I guess (shrug). I think 40 is cold. The rain and the wind makes it even colder and more unpleasant. We don't have that many sunny clear days in New York, let's be honest.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:20 PM

776 posts, read 1,664,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
NY winters-I don't need temperatures in the 80s and 90s for nine months a year. And I don't need to look at unattractive people wearing shorts and sandals year round.
Most people once they become 'adults' look more presentable dressed up a bit even if it is jeans, a polo and leather shoes or sneakers. This at one time was considered dress down in big cities up north<g> Why this is not more the norm in FL away from the beach or pool is beyond my comprehension as most buildings folks spend all their time in have the ice cold A/C cranking nonstop.

The only time I wear shorts is either working out or at the beach just like when I lived up north.. I guess I am not into the 24/7 trashy tees, baggy shorts and flip flops many find so endeering to a 'laid back' life in FL.. Folks need to realize it is all plays a part leading to our decaying culture down here, lack of professionalism, of declining values and poor work ethic .

So I'd vote for NY winters over summer in FL even though I don't like NYC weather much except it is not consistently hot and humid making it more tolerable... Our 6-8 months of relentless heat and humidity is a total waste except for a dip in the ocean which is incredibly refreshing even when the water temp is 87..

Old 01-31-2010, 11:30 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,509,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llong View Post
Once again at the near end of NY winter and every year I contimplate a move. From those who lived in both places, which is better and why do you think so.....
Im not from New York, but Im from the next best place. Connecticut

Having experience both up north winters, and Florida summers, I pick Florida summers through and through, hands down, no questions asked

My childhood was split evenly between Orlando and Connecticut. I can say I prefer Florida summers over New York/New England winters. I will tolerate 90+ degrees from May to October with afternoon thunderstorms if I do not have to shovel snow or just be freezing cold in general. That what my car's AC is for. During the summer I keep a light jacket in the car because the AC is THAT cold in my car

But man it feels good getting into that after being in the summer heat for a good few minutes. The heat ad the humidity dont bother me. Call me sick and twisted but I like it. During summer months people seem happier and more easy going because the days are long, and it doesnt get dark at 5 or 6 like it has been lately

Long live summer time!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:47 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,666,062 times
Florida summers all the way. Which is why I live here. If I wanted NY winters, I would move to NY.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:08 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,540,632 times
I have previously lived in NYC and moved to Florida 20 years ago. I have moved all over Florida to find the right spot for me because like NY the weather can be drastically different in other parts of the state.

The inland portions of the state will usually be a little warmer than both coasts. During the summer the difference between north and south Florida will not be as distinct as the difference in winter.

To give an example the average July temp in Miami is high of 91 and a low of 77 and Jacksonville is high of 90 and a low of 74 but during January the average high for Miami is 76 and the average low is 60 while Jax will have an average high of 64 and an average low of 45.

I left NY because I hate the cold just as some in Florida hate the warmth. It does still get cold in Florida but not for as long. This winter we had a week or 2 with lows in the 20's and 30's in central Florida.

I think Florida has much better weather no matter what part of the state but it is all just a personal preference.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:35 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,540,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I have previously lived in NYC and moved to Florida 20 years ago. I have moved all over Florida to find the right spot for me because like NY the weather can be drastically different in other parts of the state.

The inland portions of the state will usually be a little warmer than both coasts. During the summer the difference between north and south Florida will not be as distinct as the difference in winter.

To give an example the average July temp in Miami is high of 91 and a low of 77 and Jacksonville is high of 90 and a low of 74 but during January the average high for Miami is 76 and the average low is 60 while Jax will have an average high of 64 and an average low of 45.

I left NY because I hate the cold just as some in Florida hate the warmth. It does still get cold in Florida but not for as long. This winter we had a week or 2 with lows in the 20's and 30's in central Florida.

I think Florida has much better weather no matter what part of the state but it is all just a personal preference.
Excellent post, sir.

Your anlaysis of the weather in Florida highlights a number of important issues. First, personal preference is the key. Second, - and this is so important to those contemplating North Florida vs. South Florida as an escape from Northern winters - the summers throughout Florida are hot and humid but the Southern part of the state has milder winters than does North Florida. So many end up in North Florida then realize that the winters there can be a little too cold for them while at the same time the summers are just as hot as in South Florida. You also appropriately point out that inland can be hotter than on either coast.

All good info for those whose relocation to Florida hinges predominantly on weather, and who are considering which portion of the state is best for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida