Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2010, 09:28 PM

330 posts, read 1,081,404 times

Advertisements

I had to add this because I just got done watching the weather. The weather guy says we have a WARM front coming in tomorrow, its gonna get UP to 27 degrees. HAHA. How you liking the NY winters?? Me, I'll take the florida summers anyday. Oh ya and I forgot, I slipped and fell last night on my own driveway. Im a little sore today!! If I wasnt in supreme physical condition i could easily have some serious injuries from the fall. Its not only cold up here its dangerous!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 10:13 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,032,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
long - I have 2 boys here in NYC - my boys are very active - baseball, basketball and everything in between - my schedule with them is extremely busy, I imagine not a whole lot will change with that - what I do expect to change is when those activities are done and we come home at 7:30 - they can play outside in the yard until dinner is done or it is time to take a shower and go to bed - there will be no more cabin fever hopefully - I know that Florida is not utopia by any means but Florida definitely solves a huge portion of our problems. We are indoors all the time and because I limit the game playing they get really bored and it is just too damn expensive to keep them not bored - it is lose lose for me here. Good luck with what you choose!
The late afternoon hours are usually pleasant here, even during the summer.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:03 AM

872 posts, read 1,703,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
I agree. Even a one hour drop into the 70s would tarnish the results. I'd like to see an hour by hour temperature recording and THEN figure out an average. Besides, dew point and humidity combined with the TRUE average temperature history would give a more honest description of heat index.
To take two numbers and add them together and then divide by two is ok when dealing with two, static variables, but not very accurate when dealing with something that possibly changes constantly.
I'm not trying to dispute the numbers people are putting out and I realize people are reporting temps from the entire state and they vary. However, in Orlando where I reside its beautiful this time of the year. May absolutely sucks, no if ands or buts about it. Lots of clear skies and low 90's during the day. those mid 60's as average lows occur at 4am so really don't factor into most lives. Mike Peterson, where you are over on the gulf is not as bad in the spring and summer as it is in the Orlando Oven. I've lived in both areas so I know.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:01 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,723,341 times
I lived in Winter Park, and Winter Springs back in 1994-1998 and those were the most miserable places from May-November, running close behind is down here in SWFL... I hate when April comes, because I know the crap is on the way.....

Old 02-04-2010, 07:35 AM

18,003 posts, read 11,687,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 419gottaminute View Post
If you believe that then please pass what your smokin...
That ***MOD CUT*** gotta be goood...

Besides, its not the temps that kill you, it's the humidity....

I'm still breathing ....

Old 02-04-2010, 08:48 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,924,635 times
I wish that it would get hot up here in April, and May. By then, I'm so sick of Winter, and cold weather, and have such cabin fever, that I'm going nuts! The first warm spell that we get in March and April, I'm on my patio in shorts, working on my tan. We do get 80 degree weather in April, but it is short lived. Never seen 90 in April. On numerous occasions we've had the Indians opening day snowed out! Here's a story for you... My son was born in mid April. We had a 2nd birthday party for him in which it was 80 degrees. It was nice, and I ended up in shorts and flip flops. A week later, we got hit with one of the biggest snow storms ever in April. It hit on April 23rd and parts of NE Ohio received well over a foot of snow. While we can get flurries in late April, and in May, a big snowstorm like that is rare even by our standards. For those of you that hate the heat down there, because it starts in April, would you rather have to deal with the cold, rainy, and dreary days that still tend to hang on up here at times until Memorial Day?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:04 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,540,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I wish that it would get hot up here in April, and May. By then, I'm so sick of Winter, and cold weather, and have such cabin fever, that I'm going nuts! The first warm spell that we get in March and April, I'm on my patio in shorts, working on my tan. We do get 80 degree weather in April, but it is short lived. Never seen 90 in April. On numerous occasions we've had the Indians opening day snowed out! Here's a story for you... My son was born in mid April. We had a 2nd birthday party for him in which it was 80 degrees. It was nice, and I ended up in shorts and flip flops. A week later, we got hit with one of the biggest snow storms ever in April. It hit on April 23rd and parts of NE Ohio received well over a foot of snow. While we can get flurries in late April, and in May, a big snowstorm like that is rare even by our standards. For those of you that hate the heat down there, because it starts in April, would you rather have to deal with the cold, rainy, and dreary days that still tend to hang on up here at times until Memorial Day?
Both extremes can be uncomfortable sometimes...guess one has to look at the total package and see what's best. I too vote for Florida summers - but I know that it too can be uncomfortable at times.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,924,635 times
I've been to Florida at least once in every season. I know how hot summer can get down there! Was there one year at the end of July, beginning of Aug. Tried playing basketball in the middle of the day! WHEW! I'll tell you that didn't last long. Fortunately, there was a pool nearby. Yeah the pool was warm, but not much for cold water anyway (except to drink). Still was more tolerable than the cold. We have a pool in our development, so usually on the weekends, we live there, and it's heated. Some days the water is warmer than the air. Also was in Florida (Tampa area to be exact) at the end of March, early April, and it felt like our July. Very nice, 70's and 80's the whole time. Came back to Ohio, and brrrrrrr! Then when I was a kid, we had to go to Florida at the end of Nov, because a great uncle of mine (who lived in Hollywood) passed away. While the funeral was sad, we did have time to go to the beach, a couple of times, and it was so nice to escape the chilly temperatures typical of November up here. That was in 84. The following year we returned at Christmas in 85 which had to be our worst Florida experience. We had 2 feet of snow up here. Our first day there we went to the beach and it was 55 with a wind chill. The days that it was in the 70's were rainy. Christmas Day was nice, and it was awesome being in the sun that morning with my shirt off, but by the afternoon it got chilly. The next day was cold, and that night got into the 30's in Miami, while in the northern parts of the state you were getting record lows in the teens. We were kind of bummed, but it was still better than what he had up here. Bottom line, if our winters only lasted 3 months, and not 8, then it wouldn't be so bad. Like I said, I like my state, but the winter weather is the one thing that I do not like. That's why if I could, I'd spend part of my time down there, and summer up here. Ideally I would stay up here until New Years, because my wife likes the Fall colors, and the cold isn't as bad because of the holidays. Right after New Years, we'd go down there, and come back up here right around Mother's Day when all the trees are starting to bloom. Yeah, we'd be snow birds, but like I said, not all of us northerners are rude, and inconsiderate.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,666,322 times
Chelsa, I think you are going to love it here. I only wish more people did as much research as you have and were as open minded before moving here. Too bad for every one like you who moves here we can't trade one of the heat whiners to go back in your place! Sometimes when I hear transplants crying about the heat and humidity I want to pull my hair out. It's freaking Florida for crying out loud. What did you expect? Icebergs?

Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,540,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen1971 View Post
Chelsa, I think you are going to love it here. I only wish more people did as much research as you have and were as open minded before moving here. Too bad for every one like you who moves here we can't trade one of the heat whiners to go back in your place! Sometimes when I hear transplants crying about the heat and humidity I want to pull my hair out. It's freaking Florida for crying out loud. What did you expect? Icebergs?
LOL...so true. Hello, it's Florida, it's hot and yeah, it's swampy..so bugs, moving critters also come along for free. Know this ahead and you're halfway there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida