Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 07:13 AM

1,288 posts, read 2,893,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
If you bundle up in NY it isn't bad at all. Just wear hat and gloves, no big deal. The people who complain are the ones not dressed right.
Sorry, wrong. I complained even while wearing a very warm down coat that had a hood and reached past my knees.

And with the arthritis in my hands, I was never without gloves in the winter.

You've been told before, some people just physically can't handle the cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
As for the question, I'd rather have a Florida summer. Yes, it's hot from June to mid-October (4.5 months) but NY starts getting quite chilly in early to mid October
Do you remember how cold it was for the American League Championship Series at Yankee Stadium? I've never seen players wearing baseball caps with ear flaps before....

Old 02-05-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♥♥PRINC3Ss♥♥ View Post
Florida summers.

But I what I hate the most is those short winter days. Sunsets at 4:30pm I cannot even stand this time of the year here in Florida, and I'm being serious, I hate it. I can't wait for March 14th!!!
Here in the Ocala area, it's light a lot later in the day than it is back in NJ -- but the sun comes up a lot later, too. We've been here 2-1/2 months, and I can't get used to sunrise at 7am.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
So, it is the exact same thing as NYC - someone on CD said it was lighter there for at least an hour longer and I thought really it is still the east coast but if you say so.
Chelsea, it's light past 6pm here in the Ocala area at this time of year.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
In the winter the sun sets about an hour later in Miami than NY
It comes up an hour later too -- bummer. I'm an earlybird, and I like it to be light early.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:56 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
It comes up an hour later too -- bummer. I'm an earlybird, and I like it to be light early.
I agree with you Kathy! Everytime it gets light early....we have daylight savings time again and it messes it up for me.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:44 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Kathy/Glory - the sun rising isn't that differnt than NY it is just lighting up at 6:30 here - but waking up to pitch dark is a bummer believe me I understand. I am investing in a special alarm clock that wakes you up early with gradual light - I'll let you guys know how that work out for me.

Still, I respond differently to darkness when it is warm - I feel like I should be out doing something.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:02 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Sorry, but I bundle up in the winter with a heavy jacket, hat and gloves all of the time, and it is still cold. Especially with the wind becoming a factor. Bundling up is a pain in the ***! Not to mention tracking salt and snow everywhere! Factor in that you have to start your car 10 minutes before you leave every morning just to warm up. I would much rather be in short sleeves, and at minimum a light jacket which is sometimes required in Ohio in the morning even in mid July. Last summer was unsually cool here, despite having a fairly mild spring, and virtually no snow in March or April. On 4th of July, we generally go swimming all afternoon, as it's usually pretty hot. Later we usually retire to the patio with the neighbors to barbeque and knock back a few. In years past, we've been able to sit out in shorts, short sleeves, and flip flops. Not this past year. By 8PM (still light out mind you) I had to resort to putting on jeans, socks, a sweat shirt, and a jacket! Not my definition of summer at all. It felt more like Fall. Summer is meant to be hot! And if it's too hot, then that is what AC is for! Or a pool. Yeah I realize it's not all fun and games for the residents down there, because most people still have to work for a living, but IMO it's much easier to take the heat of summer in Florida, or anywhere for that matter, than the cold of winter up north. You also don't have to deal with driving in the snow like we do, which just adds to the commute time, because of the slick conditions, and frequency of accidents.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:10 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Sorry, but I bundle up in the winter with a heavy jacket, hat and gloves all of the time, and it is still cold. Especially with the wind becoming a factor. Bundling up is a pain in the ***! Not to mention tracking salt and snow everywhere! Factor in that you have to start your car 10 minutes before you leave every morning just to warm up. I would much rather be in short sleeves, and at minimum a light jacket which is sometimes required in Ohio in the morning even in mid July. Last summer was unsually cool here, despite having a fairly mild spring, and virtually no snow in March or April. On 4th of July, we generally go swimming all afternoon, as it's usually pretty hot. Later we usually retire to the patio with the neighbors to barbeque and knock back a few. In years past, we've been able to sit out in shorts, short sleeves, and flip flops. Not this past year. By 8PM (still light out mind you) I had to resort to putting on jeans, socks, a sweat shirt, and a jacket! Not my definition of summer at all. It felt more like Fall. Summer is meant to be hot! And if it's too hot, then that is what AC is for! Or a pool. Yeah I realize it's not all fun and games for the residents down there, because most people still have to work for a living, but IMO it's much easier to take the heat of summer in Florida, or anywhere for that matter, than the cold of winter up north. You also don't have to deal with driving in the snow like we do, which just adds to the commute time, because of the slick conditions, and frequency of accidents.
I agree with you brownsfan, but some people could say the same about winter and that is what heat is for, I wouldn't be that person, but some people could say that LOL. Anyway, I do dislike the cold genuinely, but I would deal with it if I could live in an area that the kids could at least go out and have fun it. NY is suffocating in that way. I know some people do allow their kids to go out and play but I can't do that where I live and to move where you can do that is either extremely expensive or very far. Then the chances are it is still to cold to go out and play - it is all a catch 22. I am taking the heat over the cold, let's see how I fair. Hopefully, it will be a positive experience for me to speak about.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:25 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I agree with you brownsfan, but some people could say the same about winter and that is what heat is for, I wouldn't be that person, but some people could say that LOL. Anyway, I do dislike the cold genuinely, but I would deal with it if I could live in an area that the kids could at least go out and have fun it. NY is suffocating in that way. I know some people do allow their kids to go out and play but I can't do that where I live and to move where you can do that is either extremely expensive or very far. Then the chances are it is still to cold to go out and play - it is all a catch 22. I am taking the heat over the cold, let's see how I fair. Hopefully, it will be a positive experience for me to speak about.

Where are you in NY? Are you somewhere where there isn't a lot of space? I on occasion do take my son out to play in the snow, when we have it, but more times than not we're in the house, because it's just too cold. Being in the 30's isn't bad for taking the little one out. But I can tell you, we spend MUCH more time outside in the summer when it's hot, than in the winter when it's cold. I realize like summer with A/C, you can turn on the heat in the winter, but again, it's easier for me to cool off, than warm up. That is why from Memorial Day until the end of July is my favorite time of year! I probably would thrive in Florida's climate, but it's not that easy to just pick up and move. Not to mention the other factors that keep me in Ohio, like family, friends, a job, and the fact that I am somewhat of a homer. That being said, I certainly wouldn't mind being able to spend a considerable amount of time in Florida in the winter months away from the cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida