Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 05:20 PM

284 posts, read 981,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanaples View Post
although a size 1. I didn't wear shorts in florida even when i was 22 either. I certainly wouldn't now. I wear either capris or long pants. You can get lightweight long pants, you know.

it's the 300 lb people who are 50+ who should look in a mirror.
Relax woman it was a joke
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
yes, i am. And if i had legs that looked like a topographical map of the western united states and had gnarly, yellow toe nails, i wouldn't wear shorts and sandals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 05:22 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,542,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnwilliams View Post
Yes, I am. And if I had legs that looked like a topographical map of the Western United States and had gnarly, yellow toe nails, I wouldn't wear shorts and sandals.
Ouch! Guess I'll have to stick with NY winters as I like to run around in shorts, have yellow toe nails, like socks with my sandals, and don't wanna alter the topography down there with my exposed limbs.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:29 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,844,521 times
If you bundle up in NY it isn't bad at all. Just wear hat and gloves, no big deal. The people who complain are the ones not dressed right.

Old 01-31-2010, 05:38 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,282,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
although a size 1. I didn't wear shorts in Florida even when I was 22 either. I certainly wouldn't NOW. I wear either capris or long pants. You can get lightweight long pants, you know.
No wonder you think the weather is miserable! Who wears long pants (regardless of how light!) in the summer (and most of the winter) in Florida?!?

Put on some shorts or skirts.

As for the question, I'd rather have a Florida summer. Yes, it's hot from June to mid-October (4.5 months) but NY starts getting quite chilly in early to mid October and doesn't really get warm enough (and stay that way) until very late May/early June (7.5 months)

As for the 'moderate' Carolinas and TN, that's fiction. As I type this I have 8 inches of snow on the ground and the temperature is a balmy 27, going down to 15.

Add in immense amounts of rain, strong wind, hurricanes and tornadoes, as well as flooding, well, you can have it!

Old 01-31-2010, 06:26 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,739,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut1 View Post
No wonder you think the weather is miserable! Who wears long pants (regardless of how light!) in the summer (and most of the winter) in Florida?!?

Put on some shorts or skirts.

As for the question, I'd rather have a Florida summer. Yes, it's hot from June to mid-October (4.5 months) but NY starts getting quite chilly in early to mid October and doesn't really get warm enough (and stay that way) until very late May/early June (7.5 months)

As for the 'moderate' Carolinas and TN, that's fiction. As I type this I have 8 inches of snow on the ground and the temperature is a balmy 27, going down to 15.

Add in immense amounts of rain, strong wind, hurricanes and tornadoes, as well as flooding, well, you can have it!

Amen - I was thinking the exact same thing - it would be good here if when it warmed up it would really get warm - just as it starts to get nice and warm it gets cold - I don't think 70 is cold but you can use a jacket.

55 is cold and I don't care how many layers of clothes you put on 15 is uncomfortable outside - it is Down right dangerous!

I pik Florida summer but I'm allergic tocold!

Old 01-31-2010, 06:42 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,600,758 times
Default It was 62 today and cloudy all day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Amen - I was thinking the exact same thing - it would be good here if when it warmed up it would really get warm - just as it starts to get nice and warm it gets cold - I don't think 70 is cold but you can use a jacket.

55 is cold and I don't care how many layers of clothes you put on 15 is uncomfortable outside - it is Down right dangerous!

I pik Florida summer but I'm allergic tocold!
The sun was not out at all. VERY RARE. I did not wear a jacket. If you need a jacket at 70 degrees, don't get rid of them when you move to Florida, especially if you want to go outside at night. It has gotten into the 30s at night. We even a had a few days where it barely reached 50, even with the sun out.

I am going to Lake Placid (NY, not Florida) in 2 weeks. Last I heard it was -4 degrees, actual temp not windchill, if you think 55 is cold. I sit outside in my pj's when it's in the 50s. This is why some of us prefer NY winters, to Florida summers, or in my case, even Florida WINTERS.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:49 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,739,613 times
Good luck and god bless - I would happily exchange our places!

Old 01-31-2010, 07:15 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,494,960 times
Folks,
This thread is about the WEATHER........not toenails, etc. Please keep it on topic.

Everyone is different, and we have done this cold/hot thing ad nausium.

Both NY and Florida are big states, with different weather within both states. For instance, I'm outside of Buffalo NY.....which is WAY different then Long Island. Today here it was minus one degree.....and that was without the wind chill factor. For those here that do not know....minus one degree is COLD. your lungs hurt from just breathing. It is dangerous.

I like the heat. Even during the Florida summer, I can still do stuff outside in the morning and evening. I'm in central Florida....I'm sure it may be worse in other parts of Florida. So for ME, I tolerate the Florida summer way better then a Buffalo NY winter.

Even in an energy efficient home, it costs alot to heat a home in the winter. You have to shovel, snowblow, etc. You slip and fall on ice. You have to push shopping carts in snow to your rusty salt covered car. You start your car 20 minutes before you go anywhere, and then still scrape ice off the windows.

We hardly had a summer here this year. We've had snow in October and May.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind. I'm glad there are folks who prefer NY...I'll need someone to buy my home in the near future so I can move to my Florida home.

Well, I should go.....my driveway needs snowblowing again.....

Frank

Old 01-31-2010, 07:39 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,314,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
I'll have to disagree. In Orlando, the weather turns hot during May and stays hot until the end of October. I've seen lots of years when you get to 90 in April and in November. So in my opinion, the weather in Orlando is tolerable from early November until early May. The humidity of course is another thing. That being said, I would rather have the NY winters than the Florida summers. I've just never adjusted to the extreme heat/humidity/intense sun even after 30 years.
Disagree as much as you like, but Citydata shows average May temp in Orlando to be between the low to high 70s, the average temp for April to be from the high 60s to the low 70s and the average November to be from the low 70s to the mid 60s.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:44 PM

541 posts, read 1,988,692 times
I guess the ideal would be both. FL from January-April. Up north for the rest It is pretty gross here from April-November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida