Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:14 AM

85 posts, read 233,869 times

Advertisements

We're moving to Florida and have the freedom of picking the town to move to. I'm most familiar with the Sunny Isles, Hollywood area but have driven most of the state several times and stayed in different places.
I'm in Corpus Christi, Tx right now which is on the Gulf and humid and windy.
I'm trying to find out about the different feel of the humidity of the towns in Florida and have been searching weather.com and wunderground.com and don't get answers so I'm coming to people who live in the state.
I want to live in Florida however I'd like a place where I can open the windows part of the year which I can't do here in Corpus. I'd like the lower humidity (lower being relative and I do understand that). When I say lower I mean that I can't breathe in Orlando in the heat of the summer with the humidity and temp together however the Sunny Isles area is fine in the summer for me.
I'd rather not move to the bottom of a state.....I live at the bottom of Texas and going places is a day trip from here and I'm not a long distance driver and like things close to me.
I ask realtors about this and get laughed at and am told Florida is humid. Sheesh, I KNOW that but I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about. Here in Corpus we have extreme winds, high humidity, and the rain breaks apart when it hits the edge of town and goes around us (and I love storms). If I drive 15 minutes to the island, it's cooler, more wind. If I drive an hour to the west the wind stops, it's nice, gets rain, and my dress doesn't fly up around my head.
I know Orlando is out with their weather, I know I like the Sunny Isles weather, but don't want to be that far south if I can help it. Is there another place in Florida with the easy to live with humidity that Sunny Isles offers? What about the Tampa area? If there do we go a little inland or to St Pete?
Any and all help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 11:17 AM

440 posts, read 2,426,920 times
In response to your post:

"We're moving to Florida and have the freedom of picking the town to move to. I'm most familiar with the Sunny Isles, Hollywood area but have driven most of the state several times and stayed in different places. Have you ever spent any time on the Panhandle, more specifically the Emerald Coast?

I'm trying to find out about the different feel of the humidity of the towns in Florida and have been searching weather.com and wunderground.com and don't get answers so I'm coming to people who live in the state.
I want to live in Florida however I'd like a place where I can open the windows part of the year which I can't do here in Corpus. I'd like the lower humidity (lower being relative and I do understand that). When I say lower I mean that I can't breathe in Orlando in the heat of the summer with the humidity and temp together however the Sunny Isles area is fine in the summer for me. Summers are pretty intense here too. It gets super hot and humid. Best place to be is on the beach or in a pool. But Spring & Fall are the best times of the year. Winter is pretty nice to, compared to what some other folks have to endure, but it does get cold ... even down in the teens from time to time.

I'd rather not move to the bottom of a state.....I live at the bottom of Texas and going places is a day trip from here and I'm not a long distance driver and like things close to me. Yes, living at the bottom of the state does sort of limit your ability to travel to "different" kinds of places. Even up here in the northwest part of Florida, the day trips are kind of limited. But you can get out of the state much easier and quicker living up this way as compared to living in South Florida.

I ask realtors about this and get laughed at and am told Florida is humid. Sheesh, I KNOW that but I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about. Here in Corpus we have extreme winds, high humidity, and the rain breaks apart when it hits the edge of town and goes around us (and I love storms). If I drive 15 minutes to the island, it's cooler, more wind. If I drive an hour to the west the wind stops, it's nice, gets rain, and my dress doesn't fly up around my head. It's not just Florida, the south is just generally pretty humid. But we do have the benefit of being near the gulf -- it's typically always a few degrees cooler at the beach than inland. It seems like we don't get as much rain as we used to. I remember as a kid when it seemed like every day in the summer you had these wonderful little sun showers in the late afternoon.

I know Orlando is out with their weather, I know I like the Sunny Isles weather, but don't want to be that far south if I can help it. Is there another place in Florida with the easy to live with humidity that Sunny Isles offers? What about the Tampa area? If there do we go a little inland or to St Pete? We aren't familiar with Sunny Isles so it's hard for us to compare. Used to live in the St Pete / Tampa area. It's been so long we don't remember what the humidity was like but we do remember that it seemed like it was only a couple of weeks ... maybe a month, January, that the weather was cooler. We do like the area though ... we lived in Dunedin, which we really liked, and then later in Pass A Grille which was pretty special too.

Any and all help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Don't know if we were much help but we tried. Let us know if there is anything else we can answer for you."

Old 09-01-2009, 11:24 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
I think Northern Florida on the Atlantic is the place for you. Anyplace on the Gulf will be warmer than anyplace on the atlantic side of the state.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:27 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,376,581 times
Default Besides the Humidity

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridalooking View Post
We're moving to Florida and have the freedom of picking the town to move to. I'm most familiar with the Sunny Isles, Hollywood area but have driven most of the state several times and stayed in different places.
I want to live in Florida however I'd like a place where I can open the windows part of the year which I can't do here in Corpus. I'd like the lower humidity (lower being relative and I do understand that). When I say lower I mean that I can't breathe in Orlando in the heat of the summer with the humidity and temp together however the Sunny Isles area is fine in the summer for me.
I'd rather not move to the bottom of a state.....I live at the bottom of Texas and going places is a day trip from here and I'm not a long distance driver and like things close to me.
I ask realtors about this and get laughed at and am told Florida is humid. Sheesh, I KNOW that but I'll give you an example of what I'm talking about. Here in Corpus we have extreme winds, high humidity, and the rain breaks apart when it hits the edge of town and goes around us (and I love storms). If I drive 15 minutes to the island, it's cooler, more wind. If I drive an hour to the west the wind stops, it's nice, gets rain, and my dress doesn't fly up around my head.
I know Orlando is out with their weather, I know I like the Sunny Isles weather, but don't want to be that far south if I can help it. Is there another place in Florida with the easy to live with humidity that Sunny Isles offers? What about the Tampa area? If there do we go a little inland or to St Pete?
Any and all help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Besides the humidity, better consider TRAFFIC. I hear it's rather bad on the west coast of FL. Also, I assume you speak Spanish; if not, in some parts of the state, Spanish is a must if you want to be comfortable. The Atlantic coast has better breezes from offshore. Waves are higher. I hear the Gulf is good for boating. Do LOTS of research on everything before you move to FL. This is a difficult time for the Sunshine State.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:14 PM

Thank you so much for the help!! I don't care about traffic. I should have said in my post that anyplace on the line of or south of Tampa/Orlando is where I prefer. I have been in the panhandle and the different towns but want the warmer winters that are further south. My main question is about the humidity differences, how far inland it gets too humid, and the difference between the humidity in the Tampa area vs the Sunny Isles/Hollywood area. I used to go to Florida 5 times a year and didn't bother to pay attn to the humidity levels of anyplace other than Sunny Isles since I thought that's where I would move to because my Dad was there but he passed away.
I don't know Spanish, but the Hispanic population of where I'm at is 75%
(added) Where I'm at now it's either heat or ac and some days you don't know which to use to cut the humidity. I spent 3 months helping my Dad in Sunny Isles and had the windows open in the Winter, early Spring. When I flew home to Corpus the humidity hit me in the face and we can have our windows open 1 week a year here.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:26 PM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
There is not an appreciable difference in humidity anywhere in Florida, BUT you will definitely feel cooler near the coast. We live in Sarasota, and honestly, weather here FOR US is as close to perfect as it gets. For at least 7 months out of the year we have our windows open, there are nice breezes here. Average temps in our fall-winter-spring are 70s day 50's at night. We even had a beautiful summer here this year with only a handful of really bad hot days. Keep in mind weather can vary from one year to the next, but that goes for anywhere in the country.

It feels very hot inland, especially in a bigger city like Orlando due to the "heat sink" effect - all the hot pavement absorbing and radiating the heat back out. In a small city like Sarasota with all the waterfront and trees it is sooooo much nicer and cooler. There is no place I would rather be.

And lastly, having to know Spanish is not an issue unless you are in Miami or maybe parts of Orlando. Everyone speaks English where I am!

Old 09-01-2009, 12:58 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,912,353 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the help!! I don't care about traffic. I should have said in my post that anyplace on the line of or south of Tampa/Orlando is where I prefer. I have been in the panhandle and the different towns but want the warmer winters that are further south. My main question is about the humidity differences, how far inland it gets too humid, and the difference between the humidity in the Tampa area vs the Sunny Isles/Hollywood area. I used to go to Florida 5 times a year and didn't bother to pay attn to the humidity levels of anyplace other than Sunny Isles since I thought that's where I would move to because my Dad was there but he passed away.
I don't know Spanish, but the Hispanic population of where I'm at is 75%
(added) Where I'm at now it's either heat or ac and some days you don't know which to use to cut the humidity. I spent 3 months helping my Dad in Sunny Isles and had the windows open in the Winter, early Spring. When I flew home to Corpus the humidity hit me in the face and we can have our windows open 1 week a year here.
The entire gulf coast generally "feels" more humid than the SE coast, with Tampa not feeling much different from Orlando and St. Pete not being much of an improvement. You really only feel the breeze when you are sitting right on the beach on the gulf side, but they do tend to have less humid nights on the Gulf side, so you will get summer lows in the mid 70s vs low 80s in SE Florida. On the Atlantic side, you can go up to 20 miles inland and still feel the influence of the sea breeze. You can still certainly feel it very much in Weston, where I live, which is several miles inland from Ft. Lauderdale, although it is not as strong of course. Usually on summer days without much of a breeze, it's not uncommon for afternoon humidity levels to drop into the 55-60% range unless it's about to storm.

If you like Southeast Florida but don't want to move there for personal reasons, you might like the Stuart or Vero Beach area, which shares a similar (very slightly cooler) climate with the Hollywood area, but is much quieter and slower. Stuart is commutable to West Palm Beach.

Coming from Corups Christi, the Hispanic population is going to seem smaller in the Miami area and minuscule anywhere else in FL, although they still make up to 25% of the Hillsborough County side of Tampa Bay, as well as the Sunny Isles and Broward County area where assimilation levels are very high. If you aren't moving to Hialeah or some isolated immigrant enclave, I wouldn't worry about learning Spanish.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:56 PM

976 posts, read 1,112,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
The entire gulf coast generally "feels" more humid than the SE coast, with Tampa not feeling much different from Orlando and St. Pete not being much of an improvement. You really only feel the breeze when you are sitting right on the beach on the gulf side, but they do tend to have less humid nights on the Gulf side, so you will get summer lows in the mid 70s vs low 80s in SE Florida. On the Atlantic side, you can go up to 20 miles inland and still feel the influence of the sea breeze. You can still certainly feel it very much in Weston, where I live, which is several miles inland from Ft. Lauderdale, although it is not as strong of course. Usually on summer days without much of a breeze, it's not uncommon for afternoon humidity levels to drop into the 55-60% range unless it's about to storm.

If you like Southeast Florida but don't want to move there for personal reasons, you might like the Stuart or Vero Beach area, which shares a similar (very slightly cooler) climate with the Hollywood area, but is much quieter and slower. Stuart is commutable to West Palm Beach.

Coming from Corups Christi, the Hispanic population is going to seem smaller in the Miami area and minuscule anywhere else in FL, although they still make up to 25% of the Hillsborough County side of Tampa Bay, as well as the Sunny Isles and Broward County area where assimilation levels are very high. If you aren't moving to Hialeah or some isolated immigrant enclave, I wouldn't worry about learning Spanish.
I agree. Sarasota and Tampa, etc... are HOT and HUMID (not like it isnt everywhere in FL though). When we are there, I dont feel any relief, it's like hot air blowing on us, not what I'd call "a cool breeze." We went to a wedding in Sarasota in May and it was miserable, even right on the beach, LOL. That night, we went home to our condo we rented, and at 9pm, the weather channel said it was like 92 degrees still. It was awful.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
The entire gulf coast generally "feels" more humid than the SE coast, with Tampa not feeling much different from Orlando and St. Pete not being much of an improvement. .

Oh no, that could stop me from going to the Tampa area. Shoot, I have friends there and we'd be so close to the dog shows (we show dogs in conformation and obedience)
Well heck, now I'm really confused!

Old 09-02-2009, 06:05 AM

17,536 posts, read 39,147,881 times
Quote:
Oh no, that could stop me from going to the Tampa area. Shoot, I have friends there and we'd be so close to the dog shows (we show dogs in conformation and obedience)
Well heck, now I'm really confused!
So, you are going to make your choice based on what one or two people on a message board forum say? Not everyone agrees with each other, as you can see by the responses on this thread. Everyone is different and you need to come here and see for yourself.

Bottom line, Florida is humid ALL OVER - we are surrounded by water. Humidity and temps don't differ enough to make all that much difference. Pick a place YOU like.... period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida