Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2007, 12:06 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,158,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HengyMama View Post
We didn't hear about it here in the Panhandle, which does not surprise me. They keep these things underwrap so people visiting and potential visitors don't realize what a piece of crap Florida is. As long as we meet our tourism budget.....everyone is happy. I can't wait to get out of this place.
Wouldn't you say you are already technically out of Florida? The panhandle is a world away from places like Miami or Fort Lauderdale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2007, 03:51 PM

1,113 posts, read 2,510,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Wouldn't you say you are already technically out of Florida? The panhandle is a world away from places like Miami or Fort Lauderdale.
Sadly we are seeing the same element of people coming from South Florida to North Florida. We are definitely not OUT of Florida. Panama City Beach is listed # 63 of the 100 "least safe" cities to live in.

//www.city-data.com/top27.html

Just like Ft.Lauderdale and Miami, housing is high, taxes are high, can't get home owners insurance due to the hurricanes and water damage and unlike the bigger cities in Florida, Panama City does not pay well.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:01 PM

[quote=Many of us do not live in a place populated by aggressive people with chips on their shoulders.[/QUOTE]

I am about as North as you can get in Florida and even the people here are aggressive and have major chips on their shoulders. The problem is you don't see it until you leave the area for a while and then realize there are actually nice people in other states that genuinely care about people. I recently took a trip to TN and found that I was the one with the chip on my shoulder, impatient with traffic and judgmental, compared to the people I met. At one point during the trip I commented to my daughter that we are going to have to learn to relax when we move to TN because the people are more layed back and we don't want to give them the impression that all Floridians are aggressive, when in all actuality we are. It's a sorry fact but we are molded by Florida's culture.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:26 PM

631 posts, read 2,442,156 times
The same thing applies to TN as it does Florida. It seems nice at first and so do the people until you realize it's not exactly what you thought. I hope you're not moving to Nashville because you haven't begun to see aggressive until you have seen the Nashville Metro Area. TN people not judgmental? Lower your expectations. Born and raised there. I love my state and I love my people but I just have to warn you that the things you think you're escaping you're really not escaping at all. In fact, on the list of towns you just posted as having high crime, take a gander at all the TN towns. I hope you're not anything other than white or you will see just how judgmental TN can be.

Lastly, do you think you're the only one flooding the state of TN? Try THOUSANDS of Floridians and NJ folks and CA folks. Everything that was serene and peaceful about TN is being destroyed because so many people from other cities are flocking in droves there and trying to make it just like where they came from.

Big.Time.Reality.Check.

Take a look at this and tell me where TN stands and where FL stands.

America's most dangerous states - Mar. 22, 2007

Also, look here Tennessee Crime Rates 1960 - 2005 and here Florida Crime Rates 1960 - 2005.

TN has 6 million people and had 480 murders. Florida has 17 million people and had 880 murders. Do the math.

I don't mean to be rude or condescending it just bothers me that everyone is running off to TN thinking it's going to be paradise and they are bringing all teh bad things with them that made the state they are leaving so bad.

Hate crimes?

KnoxNews: State (http://www.knoxnews.com/kns/state/article/0,1406,KNS_348_5579985,00.html - broken link)

Hispanic?

English, the official language of Tennessee, is now the official language of Nashville « Salem’s Lots

Last edited by blueoktober; 06-19-2007 at 04:37 PM..

Old 06-19-2007, 04:41 PM

I found this interesting thread from the TN forum. Take it as you will.

//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...-aliens-3.html

Old 06-19-2007, 04:42 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,186,024 times
blueoktober, once again, i have to agree with you. tn not judgemental? are you kidding?

look at tn's crime compared to fla's crime as a state. tn is worse. all the grass is greener types.

"oh, look at what happened in miami today... fla sucks!" everywhere in fla is dangerous, schools suck, blah, blah, blah... c'mom guys, your kidding yourself.

panama city beach ranked 63rd? it is a touristy beach area. there are going to be things that happen in high tourism areas. put panama city bch's stats up against myrtle bch, sc's stats and do a comparison. myrtle bch, sc was ranked THE MOST UNSAFE SMALL CITY TO LIVE IN a few yrs ago. i'd go there for a visit anytime, i wouldnt be worried. dont let all these crime stats scare you. people can be victims of crime anywhere, unfortunately.

what do you think someone says to themselves, "i live in fla, i am supposed to break into this car." or, "i live in tn, it says in the bible not to commit crime against others." i dont think folks in nashville or memphis are abiding by this do you?

Old 06-19-2007, 04:46 PM

Nope not moving to Nashville.....we like the people and area of East TN. Sorry you think we are moving to TN to ruin it but that is not our intention at all. We have never liked Florida and fit in better with the people of TN.....you have to go where you can relate to people of like mind. And I don't think it is a "mirage" as you assert. We have been to East TN many times and have always enjoyed the locals. Everyone I have talked to in TN agrees that there is a difference and most of the ones with the strongest opinions are from Florida, which should tell you something.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoktober View Post
I found this interesting thread from the TN forum. Take it as you will.

//www.city-data.com/forum/tenne...-aliens-3.html
The thread went way off subject........not sure what this is suppose to mean???

Old 06-19-2007, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
where are you from originally hengymama? and seriously, who do you think you are going to meet a lot of when you move to eastern tn? i'm not trying to discourage you, if you feel it is the right move, then go for it. and "relate to people of like mind."
I am from all around Florida but currently reside in Panama City and I have met some really good people in Maryville, Townsend, Walland, Knoxville, etc. Why?

Old 06-19-2007, 04:55 PM

I was born and raised in small town TN, went to college in Memphis and Chattanooga. I have family in Knoxville as well. I just call it like I see it. People in Florida go about their lives and don't get into your business. That might seem crazy to you until you experience everyone in your town knowing everything that goes on in your life.....talking nicely to you at church but slaying your character behind closed doors.

BackToFlorida you hit the nail on the head: There's a level of hypocrisy coming out of TN that is annoying.

Lastly someone else said it before that 10 years ago the entire planet was making fun of TN. You have no idea how many times I got ridiculed after I left there for my accent. I had to work extra hard to prove I am not some crazy redneck from the backwoods. And now? Those same people are moving as fast as they can to the state. Why weren't they there years ago?
Why wasn't TN so loved way back in 1999? People are running to a dream that's not really there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida