Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:12 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
robertsonjr----snipped---Auburndale is too backwards for me...
what part of Auburndale was too backwards for you ? (just curious)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 07:08 AM

58 posts, read 182,258 times
Winter Haven is beautiful. If people think WH is a bad apple must now be well traveled.
Tons of lakes, beautiful oak trees, wonderful downtown, friendly people.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:42 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrz44 View Post
Winter Haven is beautiful. If people think WH is a bad apple must now be well traveled.
Tons of lakes, beautiful oak trees, wonderful downtown, friendly people.
100% agree - Winter Haven is one of the prettiest central Florida towns I have seen, with a really GREAT little downtown - better than most downtowns of much larger cities. It's a lot more sophisticated than people think, too. Renowned architect Gene Leedy lives there, and has built many award-winning homes and buildings there (modern style). I feel that Winter Haven is really one of those largely undiscovered Florida gems that modernized "just enough" but keeps that wonderful "old Florida" feel. I always felt I could live there on one of those beautiful lakes and be happy.

Here is the Chamber of Commerce website that provides a lot of great info about Winter Haven:

http://winterhavenfl.com/winter_haven_info (broken link)

Last edited by gypsychic; 04-07-2010 at 08:15 AM..

Old 04-07-2010, 01:02 PM

314 posts, read 1,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I always felt I could live there on one of those beautiful lakes and be happy.
I'd gladly join you next door! I'm *very critical* of FL and I have to admit, WH really is a beautiful little town.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Yankee View Post
Out of those choices I'd choose Brooksville. The quality of life will be better than in Winter Haven imho.

Sounds like you never lived anywhere else besides Polk County. I feel extremely sorry for you and you have my deepest sympathies and condolences if that is the case. The stuff that happens here is NOT normal. The OP is from PA just like me so he/she might not be used to the "Polk County" way of life. A person would have to live here in order to understand.

I know it is rough to read bad things about an area that you grew up in but this is relocation forum and not everyone is a realtor. I may hate an area that other people love or vice versa. Try not to take offense to other people's OPINIONS. Also I'm well aware that I-95 goes North, lol.

This is a very beautiful area with numerous parks, orange groves, lakes, wildlife, etc but it really has some serious issues that need to be fixed. This is really a love it or hate it type of place that depends a lot on your immediate neighbors. Unfortunately the extreme transient nature of the area provides very little stability in that aspect.

Good people generally leave and go "back home" while the druggies and child predators tend to stay.

Just druggies and child predators, huh? Moderator cut: Trolling

Last edited by doggiebus; 04-11-2010 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Trolling, watch it!

Old 07-18-2010, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,783 times
I was born and raised in Winter Haven as was my mother and my grandmother lived here most of her life. I was raised in a neighborhood that was once a good, hardworking community then slowly went down hill over the years. In all of my years here (I'm 33) the only crime I have experienced is many years ago when my house was broken into by an 11 year old girl that heard that we were going out of town. She broke in drank our juice, watched our movies, and stole a lot of my clothes and jewlery. I got them back when I saw her walking down the street with my clothes on. We knew her aunt and she got them back for me. Also, a few years ago I was in a convenience store hold up. It was in that bad neighborhood late at night. I have learned not to go into convenience stores late at night in bad neighborhoods. I receive alerts when sexual predators move into the neighborhood and its rare that it ever happens. Maybe a couple a year. They don't notify you when they move out which I'm sure also happens. I have two childrent and I always hear that the school system is bad here. All I know is what I've experienced. I lived in CO for about 2 weeks and I won't go into that story but I had to move back and the school system there did not seem good compared to here. I would spend hours helping my daughter with homework here while in CO she would be sent home with one worksheet and they had no system for picking up children there they just ran out of the school and got in their parents cars. While here they will check your id and make sure you are permitted to pick up the child if the parent isn't the picking up. I have been to Brookesville. I can't really say much about it except that I wouldn't want to live there. I live in a better neighborhood now called Garden Grove in the Cypress Gardens area. I think it is a really good neighborhood. I have actually applied to for a job in NC but the area where the job is does not seem nice at all compared to here even though the pay would be higher. I have a good chance of getting the job but really don't want to leave here. I think I took it for granted because I lived here my whole life I always wanted to get out but now that I have the chance I realize how good I have it here. I have read about a lot of cities on these forums and they all have good and bad but I think Winter Haven is one of the better cities out there. It's not too big and not too small. You have everything you need here and yes there are many churches. There are a lot of things to do for children here and you not to far to drive to Orlando for the day. Plus, there is Legoland coming next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida