Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 07:07 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,837,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I'm recently retired too. We are buying in Naples.

Question: I am 60. At what point do I change from a boomer to a geezer?
You will never feel younger than being 60 in Naples. That is YOUNG there.

Naples joke: Definition of a Naples "trophy" wife: Someone who can drive at night.

'nother Naples joke: 75 year old man speaking: "Back home in Minnesota I was old and rich, here in Naples I'm young and poor."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 05:31 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,029 posts, read 6,546,818 times
My opinion is subject to change, but I perfer "old" people to teenagers and young adults who act like teenagers! I did not even like my three kids when they were teenagers.....

Old 02-09-2010, 05:38 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Default Rep point to you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
You will never feel younger than being 60 in Naples. That is YOUNG there.

Naples joke: Definition of a Naples "trophy" wife: Someone who can drive at night.

'nother Naples joke: 75 year old man speaking: "Back home in Minnesota I was old and rich, here in Naples I'm young and poor."
PERFECT description of Naples. When you are 60 years old and everybody around is old enough to YOUR parents.

I was in Publix recently and it was packed with retirees/snowbirds. They stand in the aisles obliviously to everything around them. All I kept thinking to myself was do these people actually have a drivers license????? Scary thought.

Old 03-21-2013, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,809 times
I know this post is old but I just wanted to put this out there for anyone else weighing Naples to Sarasota. I have lived in both towns now and while I am originally from Sarasota and am in my 30's I have to say Sarasota is by far a better pick. My parents are retired and in their 70's and are busier now then when they worked. There is always something going on (a lot of which is free, sorry even rich people have a budget) The town has it's season like most of Florida but it doesn't gear only to the tourist. You have to pay to park at the beaches in Naples unless you get a parking pass. Sarasota has the best farmers market year round downtown and many more around town. Most of Naples are seasonal. Another thing that I found is that Sarasota is more inviting. There's not a lot of big gated communities. Now it doesn't mean the big beautiful homes aren't there, they're just not all closed up behind a wall. Naples is so closed off and uninviting. I could probably go on and on about Sarasota but maybe you should just check it out. I have to say for myself I think Naples has a bigger name for it's self than it should.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 PM

2,962 posts, read 5,001,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I'm recently retired too. We are buying in Naples.

Question: I am 60. At what point do I change from a boomer to a geezer?
I settled that question by becoming a boozer..... works for me.....

Old 03-23-2013, 06:28 PM

490 posts, read 1,098,393 times
Naples is far prettier and more upscale than Sarasota, IMO. However, Sarasota seems to be more happening, as there seems to be more going on there than in Naples. I visited both cities as a tourist during the same week last March, and I was much more pleased with Naples than Sarasota. Naples is just so breathtaking.

Naples is also further south than Sarasota, so it has better beaches and warmer winter weather.

Also, something else to consider: Sarasota is much closer to Tampa-St. Pete, but Naples is nearly equidistant between Tampa-St. Pete and Miami-Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:25 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,213,227 times
Naples is slightly warmer, and you can see more tropical plants growing there than Sarasota. However, I think that the better beaches are in Sarasota. More pure, soft white sand, and the water is clearer. Naples has nice sand too (just not as nice as Sarasota), but the water looks rather murky in comparison. Both have calm waters that are warm enough to swim in in all seasons except winter (in winter, the Gulf is colder than the Atlantic).

Old 04-07-2013, 10:04 PM

11 posts, read 50,299 times
I agree Sarasota is younger and has great beaches. Naples is older and has more gated communities because more people are only here in season and feel their house is more secure that way. Sarasota has the opera and ballet. Naples has the philharmonic and two theater groups. Sarasota is nice, but Naples is very well-kept. Every median and curb is nicely planted, and the parks and reserves are gorgeous.

Personally, I prefer Naples. Having kids, we like the quieter lifestyle here. While it gets crowded in season, it is still less hectic than Sarasota. I suppose some would call it boring. We call it pleasant. We aren't into what's trendy, and where we're from up north, Sarasota is the place everyone talks about. Naples often doesn't ring a bell for people. That's fine by us.

While Sarasota's beaches are wonderful, it is difficult to get there. Look at a map. There are few roads to and from the beaches. In Naples, beaches are much easier to access. Parking is easier, too. We have never had trouble getting to the beach. In Sarasota, traffic seems backed up more often.

Oh, and to clarify, Ft. Myers airport is 40 minutes to downtown Naples...half hour to north Naples.

Old 09-24-2014, 09:12 AM

1 posts, read 2,012 times
Looking for a Nice Newer Golf course community in Sarasota. What do you recommend ? How about a very nice B& B while we are searching property next month, October 2014? Why Sarasota OVER Naples areas? We are very active mid 60's semi retired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida