Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 01:27 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Judging by the smiles on your face, I know you're finally happy in Florida after living in several locations.

One day Sunny and I too will replace thiswith this!!!!
Yes we will ModGuy, yes we will.

We have spent tons of time in Florida for more then 20 years. And I still get that pit in my stomach just talking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 08:29 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Hi guys and gals! Happy Friday! I haven't seen a few of my buddies for a while. Hope they're doing well. Maybe my Naples friend moved back to NY and is living happily ever after and my Queens friend is on her way to S.Florida! If so, I'm happy for them both. We all must pursue what's best for each of us in life.

I was just thinking the other day about the Florida bashers who exit Florida but still show up on these forums. Bashing is still legal in the good old USA so that's okay.

I can understand why current residents show up and bash if they're unhappy. Prospective residents bashing would raise some eyebrows for after all they're planning to relocate there...but what seems astounding to me is the bunch of ex-Florida residents who've spent days, weeks, months, years aboard ridiculing the Sunshine State and yet, after they finally depart, they return to the forum to continue the bashing. And this is after we've heard before on these forums that they couldn't wait to hightail it out of (and never return to) swampy, bug-infested, hot and humid, economically and culturally deprived Florida

Maybe there's a valid rason for this apparently inconsistent behavior that I just am not getting...is it that they feel a moral obligation to show up and inform the world what a horrible place Florida is? Is it that they so hate a place once called home that the hatred has become an obsession?

Or is it that the are applying a form of reverse psychology? Are they like a jilted lover who has been tossed aside by a true love whom he cannot get out of his system, and in fits of hurt, jealousy, and remorse he can find an outlet only in bashing the one he truly loves despite all the outward expressions of disgust, hate, condemnation?

Oh well, I guess we'll never know for sure!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:13 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Hi guys and gals! Happy Friday! I haven't seen a few of my buddies for a while. Hope they're doing well. Maybe my Naples friend moved back to NY and is living happily ever after and my Queens friend is on her way to S.Florida! If so, I'm happy for them both. We all must pursue what's best for each of us in life.

I was just thinking the other day about the Florida bashers who exit Florida but still show up on these forums. Bashing is still legal in the good old USA so that's okay.

I can understand why current residents show up and bash if they're unhappy. Prospective residents bashing would raise some eyebrows for after all they're planning to relocate there...but what seems astounding to me is the bunch of ex-Florida residents who've spent days, weeks, months, years aboard ridiculing the Sunshine State and yet, after they finally depart, they return to the forum to continue the bashing. And this is after we've heard before on these forums that they couldn't wait to hightail it out of (and never return to) swampy, bug-infested, hot and humid, economically and culturally deprived Florida

Maybe there's a valid rason for this apparently inconsistent behavior that I just am not getting...is it that they feel a moral obligation to show up and inform the world what a horrible place Florida is? Is it that they so hate a place once called home that the hatred has become an obsession?

Or is it that the are applying a form of reverse psychology? Are they like a jilted lover who has been tossed aside by a true love whom he cannot get out of his system, and in fits of hurt, jealousy, and remorse he can find an outlet only in bashing the one he truly loves despite all the outward expressions of disgust, hate, condemnation?

OMG - I can't believe you posted this, because I WAS GOING TO POST THE EXACT SAME THING YESTERDAY! And I was going to add that since the jilted lover couldn't have the true love, he/she doesn't want anyone else to have the lover, either! I actually had one specific poster in mind, I wonder if you can guess who it is....

I guess great minds think alike -

Anyway, to all my friends here, have a great day and weekend - it's going to be rainy here all day, but I am still happy and enjoying it, and it's supposed to be dry and beautiful this weekend!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
OMG - I can't believe you posted this, because I WAS GOING TO POST THE EXACT SAME THING YESTERDAY! I actually had one specific poster in mind, I wonder if you can guess who it is....

I guess great minds think alike -

Anyway, to all my friends here, have a great day and weekend - it's going to be rainy here all day, but I am still happy and enjoying it, and it's supposed to be dry and beautiful this weekend!
Gypsy, that's really something!! You have a great one too!

Old 03-12-2010, 09:53 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
Quote:

Mod your very right...You know its ok to not like where u came from, or where you have lived..Its also to just NOT like things or the way things are, people move for tons of reasons...we left NJ lived there for 10 years...for us it was time to move on, we wanted a change and dh didnt want to commute for 4 hours a day on a good day anymore....and had been diagnosed with Minears diasese and was having episodes...with that the commute was just happening anymore....Did we love it there no, but our friends and family are there and have made tons of trips after we left and went to NC....NC was the wrong choice for us in the end, its a beautiful place alot of great restaurants and shopping, and we were happy with the schools for both kids, however it wasnt our cup of tea...My issue is, when people look for utopia and it doesnt exsist as every place has its problems and issues and dont think that these other places are the only ones that provide a quality of life..We are happy with our quality of Life here in Florida as well as the quality of life we had in NC but for us it just where we wanted to be....and the way we look at it is, everyone is entitled to their opinion which is JUST THAT and really for new comers yes they should know the good bad and the ugly, but what is bad for someone else doesnt always mean its bad for me or you etc....Its like Boca, people like to bash it all the time, dh and I are still wondering why? this place fits us and our lifestyle we have made some great friends not alot but who needs alot when u have a few that are awesome...My son loves his high school has made friends my daughter the same....we have some family here so that is always a plus although we dont see them too often since they have homes in a few different other places...Anyhow, the bottom line is if your not happy in General your not going to be happy anywhere.....But Florida is no different than any other place as far as what it does or doesnt offer, but when people run I dont get it...the biggest issue too is MOST PEOPLE will NEVER say or admit "u know what we made a mistake" it isnt what we thought it was going to be, and I will tell you why...the comments would fly and people would be called stupid things yeah people do make mistakes especially with relocating because lets face it until u are there u dont know if u will be happy or not and because "its the place to be" doesnt always mean it is...and not to move to a popular place because everyone else is...

Old 03-12-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
Mod your very right...You know its ok to not like where u came from, or where you have lived..Its also to just NOT like things or the way things are, people move for tons of reasons...we left NJ lived there for 10 years...for us it was time to move on, we wanted a change and dh didnt want to commute for 4 hours a day on a good day anymore....and had been diagnosed with Minears diasese and was having episodes...with that the commute was just happening anymore....Did we love it there no, but our friends and family are there and have made tons of trips after we left and went to NC....NC was the wrong choice for us in the end, its a beautiful place alot of great restaurants and shopping, and we were happy with the schools for both kids, however it wasnt our cup of tea...My issue is, when people look for utopia and it doesnt exsist as every place has its problems and issues and dont think that these other places are the only ones that provide a quality of life..We are happy with our quality of Life here in Florida as well as the quality of life we had in NC but for us it just where we wanted to be....and the way we look at it is, everyone is entitled to their opinion which is JUST THAT and really for new comers yes they should know the good bad and the ugly, but what is bad for someone else doesnt always mean its bad for me or you etc....Its like Boca, people like to bash it all the time, dh and I are still wondering why? this place fits us and our lifestyle we have made some great friends not alot but who needs alot when u have a few that are awesome...My son loves his high school has made friends my daughter the same....we have some family here so that is always a plus although we dont see them too often since they have homes in a few different other places...Anyhow, the bottom line is if your not happy in General your not going to be happy anywhere.....But Florida is no different than any other place as far as what it does or doesnt offer, but when people run I dont get it...the biggest issue too is MOST PEOPLE will NEVER say or admit "u know what we made a mistake" it isnt what we thought it was going to be, and I will tell you why...the comments would fly and people would be called stupid things yeah people do make mistakes especially with relocating because lets face it until u are there u dont know if u will be happy or not and because "its the place to be" doesnt always mean it is...and not to move to a popular place because everyone else is...
Well put, swimmom.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:29 AM

Reps to all of you above.

Well said everyone.

I will toss in the jealousy factor as well.

Seems some cannot stand for others to actually have anything or enjoy anything.

For me, I hope Mod and others get the chance to live in Florida someday and are able to have everything they enjoy right in front of them.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Reps to all of you above.

Well said everyone.

I will toss in the jealousy factor as well.

Seems some cannot stand for others to actually have anything or enjoy anything.

For me, I hope Mod and others get the chance to live in Florida someday and are able to have everything they enjoy right in front of them.
Thanks, Sunny!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 01:18 PM

371 posts, read 1,190,954 times
Hi All! I'd like to jump in. I know yall dont know me, but I've been reading the CD forum for a while now and feel like I already know some of you just by your posts.

I'm Cindy. Currently in Virginia. The Hubby and I have two kidlets. One is 8 and the other is 18. We have lived all over the country and even out of the country for several years. My family and I have been in Va for 8 years now and have been itching to move on. It's nice and all here in the SE Coastal area of Va, but it's just not for us. We've never seen it as our "Forever" home. We started looking into new areas about a year and a half ago. After much research that involved where the Hubby could transfer to with work, and what our family wanted temperate, cultural, entertainment, liveability, and dine-ability wise, we narrowed it down to the Tampa area. We had a job offer last summer, but it didnt come in until the kids had already started back to school here. Being that it was/is our daugthers Senior yr. we did not want to uproot her after she'd already started the year.
Well, now the school year is starting to wind down and we are starting our bid again to move to Tampa (or somewhere in the Tampa area). We hope to get there end of June or in July (not our PREFERRED weather to move in, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do).

The Hubster will have a job contract signed before we even move there, so work and $ will be taken care of. I've been actively looking at neighborhoods and houses for quite a while to try and get an idea of where we want to be.

School for the little one is important of course, and the big one will be attending a community college for the first year, maybe two before transfering to a University. She could have stayed here in Va to attend the University of her choice, but she said if we moved to Fl. there was no way she was not going to go also. Cant say I blame her. We're a very close family and we have no other relatives here in Va, or for 1800 miles for that matter.

We know that Florida is not Utopia or Paradise. But we are adventurous and try to make the most of where ever we have lived. If it ends up that Florida is not for us, well then, we will just regroup and move on, and hopefully have some great times and adventures to remember. We have lived worse places. MUCH MUCH worse. lol. And those places didn't have nice beachs and palm trees to offset the 'bad' points.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Cin! View Post
Hi All! I'd like to jump in. I know yall dont know me, but I've been reading the CD forum for a while now and feel like I already know some of you just by your posts.

I'm Cindy. Currently in Virginia. The Hubby and I have two kidlets. One is 8 and the other is 18. We have lived all over the country and even out of the country for several years. My family and I have been in Va for 8 years now and have been itching to move on. It's nice and all here in the SE Coastal area of Va, but it's just not for us. We've never seen it as our "Forever" home. We started looking into new areas about a year and a half ago. After much research that involved where the Hubby could transfer to with work, and what our family wanted temperate, cultural, entertainment, liveability, and dine-ability wise, we narrowed it down to the Tampa area. We had a job offer last summer, but it didnt come in until the kids had already started back to school here. Being that it was/is our daugthers Senior yr. we did not want to uproot her after she'd already started the year.
Well, now the school year is starting to wind down and we are starting our bid again to move to Tampa (or somewhere in the Tampa area). We hope to get there end of June or in July (not our PREFERRED weather to move in, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do).

The Hubster will have a job contract signed before we even move there, so work and $ will be taken care of. I've been actively looking at neighborhoods and houses for quite a while to try and get an idea of where we want to be.

School for the little one is important of course, and the big one will be attending a community college for the first year, maybe two before transfering to a University. She could have stayed here in Va to attend the University of her choice, but she said if we moved to Fl. there was no way she was not going to go also. Cant say I blame her. We're a very close family and we have no other relatives here in Va, or for 1800 miles for that matter.

We know that Florida is not Utopia or Paradise. But we are adventurous and try to make the most of where ever we have lived. If it ends up that Florida is not for us, well then, we will just regroup and move on, and hopefully have some great times and adventures to remember. We have lived worse places. MUCH MUCH worse. lol. And those places didn't have nice beachs and palm trees to offset the 'bad' points.
You hit it right on the head. Put yourself in a position that if Florida is not right for you and your family then you can move on. Spend time in the 2-3 towns of your choice before making a jump.

At least you can say you gave it a shot. We made a huge mistake 20+ years ago and was in Florida for a very short time and came back to Ohio.

We cannot make up for the time we lost doing the things we love to do but we can sure put a dent in it and allow our kids to enjoy the sunshine, natural beauty and not being cold anymore. My kids hate the cold as we do.

Remain positive as positive goes a long way. Do your research and have a back up plan in place just in case you do not like where you settle down. Many move around Florida until they find a place they like.

Read my thread Florida Success Stories and you will see a few posters here who have moved to Florida and have changed their life for the better.

We also are looking at the north of Tampa smaller towns.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida