Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:01 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times

Advertisements

Lovely thread. I really enjoyed this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 12:53 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times

Now we're in business! I'm going to have to switch everything over from Photobucket to Tinypic. Photobucket won't let me re-size my pics, but TinyPic has a setting for this size.

I deleted all of the photos I just posted because they were too small. I'm going to upload them to TinyPic and then re-post. They are sooooo much better in the bigger size!

By the way, this is the view from the parking lot of the Lake-Sumter Community College. That's the downtown Orlando skyline out there (and a few huge power pole things too) It was a hazy day, which kind of ruined things. I will try again on another day and see if I can get a better shot.

Last edited by MovedfromFL; 08-18-2010 at 01:04 PM..

Old 08-18-2010, 12:57 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
Thank you MovedfromFL....!!
My Florida home is in The Plantation just north of there...can't wait to get back!

Frank

Old 08-20-2010, 07:37 AM

Looking East from the community college parking lot high up on the hill. That's Lake Apopka over there.

Another view from the community college parking lot

This is the view looking out the other direction from the comm. college parking lot

Driving around Clermont, over by the hospital. That's the citrus tower in the background.

Also taken from over by the hospital

http://a.imageshack.us/img197/9840/img3614df.jpg (broken link)
Sanctuary Ridge neighborhood, close to the Super Target in Clermont

This is the Skyridge neighborhood in Clermont. Not the most attractive place with the large power wires. You can see the bike trail in the middle of the photo.

Skyridge again

View from the road that runs by Skyridge

Rooftops and rolling hills

The backside of the Verde Ridge neighborhood

up on the hill in the Verde Ridge neighborhood

A stand of pine trees (for now)

Driving East on Hwy 50 in Clermont. It's a mess with all of the construction. Downtown Orlando is less than 30 miles, straight ahead on the horizon.

Coming "soon" - 114 homes according to the other sign on this parcel.

This is the bike trail. The sign for the Black West development is on this corner (right side)

The Black West neighborhood is supposed to be on the left here. For now, my commute to my son's pre-school looks like a peaceful country lane. Hard to believe this is just a few minutes from all of the Clermont stores (movie theater, Olive Garden, etc)

Minneola - this is the new high school, called "BBB" for now. It will open in the Fall of 2011.

This is the view from the road near the new high school

Old 08-20-2010, 07:40 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Awesome pics!

Too bad about all those ugly houses and power lines - it wouldn't be so bad if they had spaced them out and left some trees.....

Old 08-20-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Awesome pics!

Too bad about all those ugly houses and power lines - it wouldn't be so bad if they had spaced them out and left some trees.....
Many of the new neighborhoods in Clermont have homes that are just jammed together. That Skyridge neighborhood has some homes where those huge power lines are practically towering right over the backyard. No thanks...

My little town is just a few minutes from all that, but all lots are a minimum of 1/2 acre and you have to have a permit to cut down any trees. We found the perfect place for our future now that we are back in FL.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:49 PM

164 posts, read 460,610 times
brilliant piccies guys!...now I know where to go when I miss mah hills and heather when we move over to Florida Let me have a wee look to see if I can find some piccies of our hills here in Scotland

Old 06-13-2011, 12:18 PM

71 posts, read 218,295 times
bumping to say thank you for the pix. We are hoping to move to FL (hopefully in one of the towns near the hills) in 2013!

Old 06-13-2011, 02:03 PM

261 posts, read 705,095 times
I've only driven through the Florida hill country once, but here is a cool video of some skateboarders longboarding on the hills around Clermont.

YouTube - ‪Clermont, FL Longboarding‬‏

Old 11-26-2011, 03:13 PM

3,237 posts, read 6,320,473 times
The area in the middle of the state around Dade City/San Antonio up to the North part of the state, roughly between US41 and US 27 US441 and US301 has rolling hills in parts. However most of it is covered by Pine trees so you cant really tell. The drive between Brooksville and Orlando on SR50 used to be really awesome before development took hold in the 80's and 90's, and after some hard freezes AND GREED killed the citrus trees (nothing stopping them from being replanted other than GREED).

Specifically the area around Clermont, Mt. Dora, Howey-in-the-hills, and Tavares were really nice and somewhat unique in Florida. Still plenty of rolling hills without development in and near Ocala, San Antonio and on US 301 between Ocala and Baldwin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida