Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 10:03 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,303,620 times

Advertisements

South Polk, Hardee, Desoto, Hendry, Glades, Okeechobee, parts of Highlands. I'm sure you can find them in interior Manatee and Sarasota Counties, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 07:47 AM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
^^^ aka the "heartland" of FL.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:24 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAboy5 View Post
Is this actually true?

I was going to suggest my hometown Melbourne Florida.

So is Florida now associated with "crackers"?
The term Florida crackers actually refers to the cowboys on the cattle ranches here in Florida. Since you are from Melbourne I am sure you heard of the Duda ranch ( family actually gave land to county for the courthouse and developed the town of Viera on some of the ranch land here in Brevard county. There are also huge ranches that line Rt. 192 on the way to St. Cloud. Kissimmee still has its rodeos featuring local cowboys.

The term cracker is not what other Florida Natives want to be called. It actually is sort of a cut you down term unless you are a working cowboy. Florida Native is what is acceptable to all natives.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:53 AM

I like "cracker." FL native here.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:57 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
There's a line in my family that goes back generations in FL... in the 1800's they were crackers who eventually sold land (including Lake Eola) to Orlando- now that family lives in Winter Haven and surrounding areas in Polk County.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Ocala has quite a few, Silver Springs, Dunellon, Macintosh, Orange Springs, Reddick....all the small towns in Marion County have quite a few.
There are quite a few ranches around here, just not sprawling enterprises like down south.
Despite what someone said here, no one that I know that is a native minds being called a "Cracker" one bit. My husband is proud to be one.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:57 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,920,068 times
To be honest, I'm not sure where you find the majority of the "Florida crackers". When I tell people I was born and raised here most people look at me like I have three heads. So, I'm guessing that I'm a rare breed.

The term Florida cracker was originally used by the early settlers and came from the sound of the cowboys cracking the whip on the cattle. This specific term was used to describe the early settlers that used the Florida Cracker Trail which runs from Bradenton (the town I was born in) to Fort Pierce.

The term is used as a proud or jocular self-description. Since the huge influx of new residents into Florida from the northern parts of the United States, and Latin America, in the late 20th and early 21st centuries, "Florida Cracker" is used informally by some Floridians to indicate that their family has lived there for many generations; and/or that they were born and raised in the state of Florida. It is considered a source of pride to be descended from "frontier people who did not just live but flourished in a time before air conditioning, mosquito repellent, and screens."

Now, your average "cracker" has somewhat of a derogatory connotation. Meaning an unsophisticated, uneducated white person.

I prefer to think of myself as the former and not the later

Old 09-29-2010, 08:13 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,544 times
SOFLGAL has it right!

There is no place that has a majority of cracker folks.

My dad's families moved here in 1880's from Georgia and 1906 from Bogue sound NC.

Too bad they sold most of the land they raised cattle on in 1940's

I think that 100+ relatives have claim to about 30 acres now .. LOL

Old 09-29-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Ocala has quite a few, Silver Springs, Dunellon, Macintosh, Orange Springs, Reddick....all the small towns in Marion County have quite a few.
There are quite a few ranches around here, just not sprawling enterprises like down south.
Despite what someone said here, no one that I know that is a native minds being called a "Cracker" one bit. My husband is proud to be one.
Amen! Me too!

Old 10-01-2010, 08:19 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,173,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Amen! Me too!

Do ya'll live in the middle of the state or on the coast? That might be the difference. Here on the coast in my group of friends it definitely just refers to the cowboys/ranchers. There is nothing derogatory about being a cracker if you really are one. Most of us aren't because we live in towns and cities and have never worked a ranch. People born here on the coast refer to each other as Natives-surfers maybe- or just Floridians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida