U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 01:20 PM

305 posts, read 1,558,605 times

Advertisements

I'm a single female over 45 considering relocating to Florida but not interested in South Florida or along the Gulf, pretty much set on living in a beach town along the east coast close to the Atlantic Ocean. The Jacksonville beach area (Neptune Beach, Jacksonville Beach) seems to meet my needs for these reasons:

1) more moderate heat/weather compared to further south in FL
2) fewer hurricanes/tropical storms compared to rest of FL
3) easy, inexpensive access to the ocean
4) relatively safe area, relatively low cost of living
5) access to OK public transportation (3 bus routes on main roads)
6) walkable, pedestrian-friendly, good for bicycing
(nice flat land with straight streets, mostly connecting & sidewalks on most main streets)
7) close to basic shopping/stores (no need for "upscale" shopping)
8) nearby free or low-cost places to play tennis (hard courts)

I'm a down-to-earth person looking to live "casually", don't require the most "upscale" living, don't need to reside in a gated community, don't mind living in a tourist-oriented area, not afraid to live in cities, not afraid to take public transportation even at night (although I have reasonable concerns about basic safety wherever I am.) Additional things that make me different from most people seeking to relocate:
-- NOT concerned about schools (no kids)
-- NOT concerned about employment/jobs (I'm semi-retired, financially secure as long as I keep my costs low, might try to work part-time only)
-- NOT that concerned about real estate (fine with renting only, though might consider buying a small house or condo later.)

Just wondering if there are other similar places along the east coast of Florida that I should look into. These other cities/towns would have to meet my needs (not too expensive, safe, very close to the shore, pedestrian-friendly, bike-friendly, convenient to basic shopping, inexpensive access to tennis courts, etc.) & allow me to live WITHOUT a car. I don't like driving although I had a drivers license for decades, have NEVER owned a car, don't plan to buy one now-- use a bicycle for basic transportation, also do a lot of walking & take public transit.

And Yes, I know that people think living without a car cannot be done in Florida or anywhere in the South. But I'm already doing this in Charlotte NC. However, in Charlotte there's no direct beach access (not much easy access at all to any natural bodies of water) and I feel "landlocked." Also in Charlotte it's not as pedestrian-friendly or bike-friendly as I'd like: not enough sidewalks & too hilly for me. And for bicycling, I prefer nice straight roads on flat land (like in the Jacksonville Beach area)-- in Charlotte it's mostly winding, curvy, hilly roads, very dangerous to ride a bike here with the traffic!

I know the odds are against it, but would appreciate suggestions for other Florida east coast beach towns that would meet the needs I listed. Hey, I'm aware that most people here won't relate at all to me & my particular needs (98% of you have cars & own homes & couldn't see it any other way), but hope there's someone here who understands what I'm looking for & can offer suggestions for alternative beach cities/towns to look at. Will take suggestions for coastal beach towns in other southern states as well, but think that Florida would be best for me. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 04:00 PM

2,661 posts, read 6,805,016 times
We lived at Jax's Beach a long time ago during a pleasant time in its history before it was annexed by Duval County and now probably overpopulated.
It would be an easy area to move around on a bike,roads could not have changed.We lived 8 blocks from beach by Fletcher Junior School.
The last time I visited it was developed everywhere.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:02 AM

Hoping for more replies. I'll be in Jacksonville Beach in a few weeks to explore the area, see if it works for me as a place to live. Just wondering about other beach areas in east Florida I should look into. Again, I'm a single female over 45 who would be living alone & my priorities and concerns are:

Quote:
-- an area that's not too expensive, safe, very close to the shore, pedestrian-friendly, bike-friendly, convenient to basic shopping, inexpensive access to tennis courts & would allow me to live WITHOUT a car.

-- NOT concerned about schools (no kids)
-- NOT concerned about employment/jobs (I'm semi-retired, financially secure as long as I keep my costs low, might try to work part-time only)
-- NOT that concerned about real estate (fine with renting only, though might consider buying a small house or condo later.)

I'm a down-to-earth person looking to live "casually", don't require the most "upscale" living, don't need to reside in a gated community, don't mind living in a tourist-oriented area, not afraid to live in cities, not afraid to take public transportation even at night (although I have reasonable concerns about basic safety wherever I am.)
As I stated in my original post, considering moving to JAX Beach/Neptune Beach area since there's plenty of reasonably-priced places to rent, easy access to basic shopping & adequate public transportion for me (3 bus routes.) Any suggestions for other beach towns in eastern Florida that would meet my needs? (do any other beach towns in eastern Florida have public transportation?) Thanks.

Old 02-27-2010, 09:28 AM

5,969 posts, read 8,176,649 times
St. Simons, Georgia

http://explorestsimonsisland.com/

Old 03-01-2010, 06:45 AM

Still hoping for more replies with suggestions for other beach communities to look at, those where it would work to live without a car.

To DailyJournalist: St Simons Island GA looks like a beautiful place, but not at all workable to live there without a car, plus way too expensive for me. But thanks anyway.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:01 AM

17,288 posts, read 26,779,342 times
You might want to pose this question in the Jacksonville portion of the forum for better answers.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
You might want to pose this question in the Jacksonville portion of the forum for better answers.
I posted this in the Florida Forum because I'm wondering about other beach communities that would meet my requirements BESIDES THE JAX BCH AREA. In other words, I already suspect that Jax Bch will meet my needs but wondering if I'm overlooking other beach communities here in Florida that would equally contain what I'm looking for (mainly, inexpensive safe bike-friendly, walkable beach areas w/ public transportation & basic shopping nearby so I can live there without a car.) Sorry, not understanding why I should post this question specifically in the JAX forum, looking for other towns in Florida outside of JAX, even welcoming suggestions about other nearby southern states (S. Carolina & GA.)

Moderator cut: Comments about Mod Actions not allowed

Last edited by doggiebus; 03-03-2010 at 11:50 AM..

Old 03-02-2010, 04:36 PM

212 posts, read 761,884 times
Maybe further south in Ormond Beach or Flagler Beach. Not sure if you could do without the car unless you bicycle which would work in both areas, public transportation possibly in Ormond. Good luck in your search

Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 AM

6 posts, read 24,675 times
Have you checked out Cocoa Beach, Merritt Island and Melbourne at all?

Old 03-03-2010, 07:46 PM

574 posts, read 1,899,098 times
Daytona Beach or Cocoa Beach? Both of those cities would provide most of what you want, though they are smaller than Jax and bus service doesn't run later into the night, at least not in the Daytona area (it may in Cocoa).

Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or