Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 10:22 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionandlamb View Post
Greetings,
My hubby is laid and going crazy. He is a work acholic. Were wondering how the work situation is there the construction world? He is Mastered License, not sure your state would except that. Very experienced in the Superintendent roll. Has worked in commerical, residental, food and industrial areas. Have travel trailer to stay in. So what part would be good for this type of work?
Thanks for all your help
Be Blessed
Sandy

Not a good time to be in the construction business in Florida. In fact, your timing couldn't be worse.

But...if you insist on trying, stay away from South Florida and seek out those places not as affected by the downturn. College towns and places like Tallahassee have been somewhat insulated, due to the higher percentage of people in stable government jobs.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:49 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,303,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
What am I missing?

Columbus Ohio: 2008 Crime index: 621.6

//www.city-data.com/city/Columbus-Ohio.html

Tampa: 478.4

//www.city-data.com/city/Tampa-Florida.html

Jacksonville: 574.9

//www.city-data.com/city/Jacksonville-Florida.html

Fort Lauderdale: 559.5

//www.city-data.com/city/Fort-L...e-Florida.html

Miami: 632.3

So, we have ONE major city in Florida with a greater crime rate than Columbus. Miami is about even.

Newsflash for the gifted kids in the back: ORLANDO is not representative of the state of the entire state of Florida.

Thank you!

Some people like to make the argument by picking and choosing items that FIT their ideas.

If you do not like it where you live, MOVE so others can enjoy it instead of sitting around making it worse.

I looked at these stats and if this poster would read my entire post she would have got it right the first time.

The town I believe we will be moving in Florida was less then 200 crime index. That is 420+ less then the town I live in now.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECX View Post
WOW 109 Murders and 615 Rapes in Columbus Ohio in 2008 compared to only 43 murders and 131 rapes in Orlando Florida!

I will take my chances in Florida.

They will come along and argue that the numbers are fixed because of seasonal issues.

Your chances are much better in Florida according to the FACTS!!

I see some people are exactly like I said in my above post.

Either they made all the wrong decisions or just could not make it in Florida so now they hate it and blame Florida for their problems.

I know one of these posters in this thread struggled in Florida on 8.00 per hour but then blamed Florida for not being able to make it.

I guess Florida would suck if you can only make 8.00 per hour and do not have the job skills to make enough to enjoy paradise like others do.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Maybe it's just me but there seems to be an upsurge recently here on the Florida forums of thread/posts which allege that anything Florida "sucks" -Living in Florida sucks, The work ethic in Florida sucks, Heat and humidity in Florida suck.

One can always find unpleasant aspects of life wherever one lives. In NYC, sometimes the weather, the commute to work, the job, one's boss, spouse, neighbor...can all win trophies in sucking big time.

Sometimes a change of environment can help...at other times it does nil. See how many people with screen names aboard like "Florida Sucks," relocate elsewhere then suddenly change their tags to "North Carolina Sucks," or "Tennesssee Sucks!"

There's no perfection anywhere and what's good for one is lousy for another. Florida may suck in some aspects but is fantastic in others. Same can be said of anywhere in the good old USA.

If anyone feels that any part of our country sucks 100 percent, maybe they need to look inwardly to see who actually sucks.
I agree also!

I like the ones like Moving2Fla and then if you watch them Back2Ma comes in soon thereafter. If you read into the post you will see they screwed something up and made poor decisions, but then blame the state and its people for their failures when it was clearly their own fault they failed in Florida.

People- If you do not like living in Florida, then get the heck out and make room for those who will appreciate it!

Come on up north where you can enjoy the 4 foot + of snow, wind chill below zero and power outages every day for the last 2 weeks. And the driving is another story, look up the 50 car piled up in Columbus Ohio a few days ago and you will understand.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:14 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,559,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Come on up north where you can enjoy the 4 foot + of snow.
For once we agree, I love all the snow and so does my daughter.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
For once we agree, I love all the snow and so does my daughter.

You are the perfect example of what I meant by Florida is not for everyone.

I think we can agree, some people just do not make it in Florida for various reasons.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:28 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,376,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
You are the perfect example of what I meant by Florida is not for everyone.

I think we can agree, some people just do not make it in Florida for various reasons.
so true Sunny...We are SO glad we left the snow and the winter and the ignorance behind us...as we do appreciate florida and still love it even with its flaws as we all know the same could be said for anywhere in this country...

Old 02-17-2010, 12:37 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
so true Sunny...We are SO glad we left the snow and the winter and the ignorance behind us...as we do appreciate florida and still love it even with its flaws as we all know the same could be said for anywhere in this country...
I don't think the problem is Florida per se. Florida has problems just like any other state.

The problem is peoples' expectations being unrealistic. Many come here on vacation and create this image in their mind of how things are, and then move here and reality doesn't live up to their expectations.

Florida, like some other popular destination states, sometimes gets held to an unfair standard I think.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:38 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderate Guy View Post
Maybe it's just me but there seems to be an upsurge recently here on the Florida forums of thread/posts which allege that anything Florida "sucks" -Living in Florida sucks, The work ethic in Florida sucks, Heat and humidity in Florida suck.

One can always find unpleasant aspects of life wherever one lives. In NYC, sometimes the weather, the commute to work, the job, one's boss, spouse, neighbor...can all win trophies in sucking big time.

Sometimes a change of environment can help...at other times it does nil. See how many people with screen names aboard like "Florida Sucks," relocate elsewhere then suddenly change their tags to "North Carolina Sucks," or "Tennesssee Sucks!"

There's no perfection anywhere and what's good for one is lousy for another. Florida may suck in some aspects but is fantastic in others. Same can be said of anywhere in the good old USA.

If anyone feels that any part of our country sucks 100 percent, maybe they need to look inwardly to see who actually sucks.
As usual, very well said Mod Guy! But.......I do have to admit, there are a few places in the country (that shall go unnamed) that for me come close to the 100% suck factor...... none in Florida, of course!

Old 02-17-2010, 12:42 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,690,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post

Florida, like some other popular destination states, sometimes gets held to an unfair standard I think.
Agreed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida