Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2010, 04:53 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthatmouse View Post
I think it depends on the area. Just like the cost of housing. My parents paid $3,000/year in taxes in Queens. NY. Beautiful, upscale neighborhood. Here in Celebration they pay $7,000/year in taxes for a 1 story smaller home/same size lot. Sorry, but NYC has a lot more to offer than Celebration, FL and the public transportation is awesome.

Some people think the cost of living is great here. We find it to be much more expensive than NY or MA. Our friends from CT, NJ and CA all agree. We moved from nice areas to nice (upscale) areas in FL though.
Im from NY and lived in NJ for 10 years and I have to disagree..the property taxes are much less than what we were paying in NJ...the restaurants are definitely comparable although publix is more expensive than shoprite...the cost of housing here is also cheaper for what u will get in NJ...and we were in very nice areas as well and a few of the families we are friendly with came from NJ and they too say they have a better life here than they did in NJ regarding cost of living...

Old 02-19-2010, 05:36 PM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,026 posts, read 6,543,117 times
You know, that is definately one good thing I can say about NJ (my home state): Shoprite rules.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:37 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,347,349 times
Quote:
My hubby is laid and going crazy

Uhh....

Old 02-19-2010, 08:11 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
Uhh....
It's been known to happen.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:16 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times
Default NYC residential property taxes are cheaper than

Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
Im from NY and lived in NJ for 10 years and I have to disagree..the property taxes are much less than what we were paying in NJ...the restaurants are definitely comparable although publix is more expensive than shoprite...the cost of housing here is also cheaper for what u will get in NJ...and we were in very nice areas as well and a few of the families we are friendly with came from NJ and they too say they have a better life here than they did in NJ regarding cost of living...
NJ, or LI where I used to live, because the commercial property taxes there are enough to subsidize them

Old 02-19-2010, 08:27 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,377,459 times
[quote=TANaples;12976119]NJ, or LI where I used to live, because the commercial property taxes there are enough to subsidize them[/QUOTE

sorry but I cant justify paying 10k or 13k dollars a year on ANY house in NY or NJ...and for the area I live in and what dh and I were looking at to buy the taxes here are no more than 7700 a year..if you find nothing wrong with paying it then great for you...

Old 02-19-2010, 08:45 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,916,759 times
[quote=ECX;12915053]I really would like some "TRUE" answers...

I am a 38yr old with a wife and 2 kids ages 8 and 10. We live in Northern Delaware and are needing a major change... Employment is not an issue as I run a successful internet business and can work from home.

i have been researching Florida for some time and the more I do, the worse it seems...

We LOVE the beach, fishing, boating, swimming etc... These are the things that have me worried about a move to Florida. (by the way, we are thinking Port St John, Cocoa AREA and buying a home with a screened in pool) I'd avoid Cocoa and Cocoa Bch - just my opinion - I just dont think either are very attractive.

1. Your house and yard will be INFESTED with Huge Palmetto Bugs, Giant Spiders and Massive Swarms of Bloodthirsty Mosquitoes! We have pest control and dont really see any bugs in the house. Tiny ants at times.

2. The heat is unbearable for 8 months out of the year and you will do nothing but sit inside with the AC on full blast mounting massive electric bills. I say the heat is unbearable for 6 months. We have an awesome November to Feb, and a decent March too. The heat and humidity lasts from late March / early April to October.

3. The beaches get Red Tides all the time and smell horrible and burn your eyes. When there is no Red Tide, the waters will be filled with stinging jellyfish and man-o-war. They are also littered with trash and medical waste. No, not true.

4. If you venture outside of your fenced yard you will be attacked by Killer Alligators, Venomous Snakes and Spiders. And be eaten alive by mosquitoes and other biting insects. No, certainly not.

5. Insurance is unaffordable IF you can find a company to insure your house... because a Hurricane WILL find you and destroy your home! I think you can still find decent insurance, but if you choose to live on the coast, it's gonna cost you. And insurance companies ARE leaving FL. Not all but some definitely have and will continue to do so.

6. Crime in Florida is a Huge problem and will WILL fall victim of it. Murder, Rape, Massive Pedophile Kidnappings etc... No, you will not fall victim to a murder, rape, etc. There is a lot of crime in FL, and there are a lot of sex offenders and weird crimes, I think that's pretty well known. Buy into a safe area, and just use your basic judgement and common sense.

Am I crazy to feel a bit apprehensive about moving to Florida after reading all the above "FACTS" ??? There obviously not all facts, but to be apprehensive about moving to FL is pretty normal.

I visit Orlando and Miami once a year and LOVE it every time I go, but people tell me that IF I move to Florida I will experience the above listed issues and I will absolutely RESENT my decision to move to the Sunshine State. I live in Orlando and dislike it, and I cant stand Miami. Visit a lot before you move, and do your homework.

PLEASE REPLY WITH HONEST "REAL" info to help me make my decision before I destroy my families life with a wrong move...

Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,464,753 times
Bugs, snakes, gators, spiders that can kill you, red tide, hurricanes, sharks, stingrays, jellyfish, heat, humidity....... yea we have it all !!!!

When it comes to all of the above it is a matter of common sense and awareness. I was almost killed by a brown recluse spider 19 years ago, my wife was bit by a black widow a few years back out by our pool. You need to be aware of the things that you share space with. A guy died 2 weeks ago on the east coast kite surfing from a multiple shark attack.... it happens, not alot but you need to be aware. Crime is an issue here, but I own guns, so im not concerned. I would shoot first and let the detectives ask the questions . Florida is a great place that has bad elements like all other locations.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:26 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvthatmouse View Post
I think it depends on the area. Just like the cost of housing. My parents paid $3,000/year in taxes in Queens. NY. Beautiful, upscale neighborhood. Here in Celebration they pay $7,000/year in taxes for a 1 story smaller home/same size lot. Sorry, but NYC has a lot more to offer than Celebration, FL and the public transportation is awesome.

Some people think the cost of living is great here. We find it to be much more expensive than NY or MA. Our friends from CT, NJ and CA all agree. We moved from nice areas to nice (upscale) areas in FL though.
what upscale neighborhood? Also when did your parents buy? I can 100% assure you that in 2010 - you will not get a single family house that is bigger than something comprable in Florida. I don't care about 7k versus 3k if the difference in the price of the home is 300k + - some things are cheaper here but a lot more is cheaper there in Florida. I looked at a house in whiteston 3500 tax - 400k for a 1500sq ft house 3 bed 1 bath - non finished basement - and the best part was it need to be completely renovated - that is a deal don't you think?

Old 02-20-2010, 08:03 AM

18,118 posts, read 11,753,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECX View Post
I really would like some "TRUE" answers...

I am a 38yr old with a wife and 2 kids ages 8 and 10. We live in Northern Delaware and are needing a major change... Employment is not an issue as I run a successful internet business and can work from home.

i have been researching Florida for some time and the more I do, the worse it seems...

We LOVE the beach, fishing, boating, swimming etc... These are the things that have me worried about a move to Florida. (by the way, we are thinking Port St John, Cocoa AREA and buying a home with a screened in pool)

1. Your house and yard will be INFESTED with Huge Palmetto Bugs, Giant Spiders and Massive Swarms of Bloodthirsty Mosquitoes!

2. The heat is unbearable for 8 months out of the year and you will do nothing but sit inside with the AC on full blast mounting massive electric bills.

3. The beaches get Red Tides all the time and smell horrible and burn your eyes. When there is no Red Tide, the waters will be filled with stinging jellyfish and man-o-war. They are also littered with trash and medical waste.

4. If you venture outside of your fenced yard you will be attacked by Killer Alligators, Venomous Snakes and Spiders. And be eaten alive by mosquitoes and other biting insects.

5. Insurance is unaffordable IF you can find a company to insure your house... because a Hurricane WILL find you and destroy your home!

6. Crime in Florida is a Huge problem and will WILL fall victim of it. Murder, Rape, Massive Pedophile Kidnappings etc...

Am I crazy to feel a bit apprehensive about moving to Florida after reading all the above "FACTS" ???

I visit Orlando and Miami once a year and LOVE it every time I go, but people tell me that IF I move to Florida I will experience the above listed issues and I will absolutely RESENT my decision to move to the Sunshine State.

PLEASE REPLY WITH HONEST "REAL" info to help me make my decision before I destroy my families life with a wrong move...

Staying on topic:

Do not move to Florida if any of the above is bothersome to you in the slightest degree.

Florida is what it is and thats it. Your personal paradise and happiness is what YOU make it.

Yes, it's VERY HOT here. When you arrive here, the weather will be VERY HOT so bear this in mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida