Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2010, 08:21 AM

157 posts, read 440,171 times

Advertisements

I lived in Orlando 16 years. Moved back to Tennessee several years ago. If I could afford it, Would move back to the beach ASAP. Good luck

Old 02-20-2010, 08:24 AM

34 posts, read 52,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECX View Post
I really would like some "TRUE" answers...

I am a 38yr old with a wife and 2 kids ages 8 and 10. We live in Northern Delaware and are needing a major change... Employment is not an issue as I run a successful internet business and can work from home.

i have been researching Florida for some time and the more I do, the worse it seems...

We LOVE the beach, fishing, boating, swimming etc... These are the things that have me worried about a move to Florida. (by the way, we are thinking Port St John, Cocoa AREA and buying a home with a screened in pool)

1. Your house and yard will be INFESTED with Huge Palmetto Bugs, Giant Spiders and Massive Swarms of Bloodthirsty Mosquitoes!

2. The heat is unbearable for 8 months out of the year and you will do nothing but sit inside with the AC on full blast mounting massive electric bills.

3. The beaches get Red Tides all the time and smell horrible and burn your eyes. When there is no Red Tide, the waters will be filled with stinging jellyfish and man-o-war. They are also littered with trash and medical waste.

4. If you venture outside of your fenced yard you will be attacked by Killer Alligators, Venomous Snakes and Spiders. And be eaten alive by mosquitoes and other biting insects.

5. Insurance is unaffordable IF you can find a company to insure your house... because a Hurricane WILL find you and destroy your home!

6. Crime in Florida is a Huge problem and will WILL fall victim of it. Murder, Rape, Massive Pedophile Kidnappings etc...

Am I crazy to feel a bit apprehensive about moving to Florida after reading all the above "FACTS" ???

I visit Orlando and Miami once a year and LOVE it every time I go, but people tell me that IF I move to Florida I will experience the above listed issues and I will absolutely RESENT my decision to move to the Sunshine State.

PLEASE REPLY WITH HONEST "REAL" info to help me make my decision before I destroy my families life with a wrong move...
I lived in NW FL from 1994-2009, moved their from Connecticut.

It is very hot & humid May-Oct & it's hit & miss after that, but definetly does cool off for a few months. For me it was unbearable. The first few years I was ok with it, but then when you know what to expect every year, it becomes unbearable.

I have found that you can hardly go outside during the hot & humid months, just like being up North & not going outside during the winter months.

Bugs are certainly more plentiful than Deleware. They can be an issue but won't run your life, but they are there, and not like you would be accustomed to.

Alligators will be in that area of FL, but again they won't run your life.

Crime is everwhere, you just have to look into the neighborhoods you are going to buy into first & see what the stats are. Go with your gut!

Very true ~Vacationing in Florida is nothing like living in Florida.

Insurance rates are higher in FL, you just have to do your homework & do the math. The area you are going to has been hit within the last 5 years with hurricaines so get multiple quotes. Don't think that FEMA is going to bail you out!

I do think that our electric bill was pretty high, so don't be to surprised during the hotest months.

Honestly, I don't think you are crazy to feel a bit apprehensive about moving to Florida after reading all the above "FACTS". Alot of the facts are true, maybe a little exagerated but true. Personally, having lived their for 15 years & left last year, I would look into Southern VA, North Carolina & even parts of GA before I moved to FL.

Check it all out as you are but in the end, GO WITH YOUR GUT!!

Best of luck to you & yours!

Old 02-22-2010, 04:02 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,385,339 times
the question is whether or not florida's summers are more tolerable than dc's winters.

i can't wait to find out.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:43 PM

924 posts, read 2,603,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user8 View Post
the question is whether or not florida's summers are more tolerable than dc's winters.

i can't wait to find out.
In my opinion Floridas winters are more tolerable than anything involving DC...

Old 02-22-2010, 08:32 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercel95 View Post
In my opinion Floridas winters are more tolerable than anything involving DC...

Sure, the winters are. It's the summers in FL that are horrible. Winters are awesome, the problem is it lasts about 3 months.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:39 PM

well, virginia's summers can be pretty brutal.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:51 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,910,503 times
^^^ No contest. FL's are hotter and last longer.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:52 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,159 times
Florida "winters" are great while they last, because the summers are no equal trade off, they do SUCK.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:35 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Florida "winters" are great while they last, because the summers are no equal trade off, they do SUCK.

Im from northern DE 20 mins south of Philly and between the record rainfall last summer and constant gray skies with temperatures not warming up past 60s till May,followed by a huge amount of snow right before Christmas which was nice and then 24" of snow for Superbowl weekend + three days later and 20" of more snow that refuses to go away because of the cold weather. I think alot of people are considering the Florida summers from this area. I would never compare our weather to Maine,Michigan or any northern state but damn,this past year really sucked. Did me,my wife and kids lose a year of our life?Of course not. Did we lose alot of weekends to the rain? Yep. Have most of the people in this area had enough snow and gray skies for 3 years? Yes. If this was the economy of '03 to '06 alot more people than usual would be migrating south for the Florida sun.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
i'd rather it be too warm (and sunny) than too cold and gray.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida