Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 12:42 PM
R66 R66 started this thread

145 posts, read 419,685 times

Advertisements

Hello All -

A pleasure to be apart of a great Forum. Thanks to the Moderators and Administrators for approving my registration.

About Me: Born/raised in small town Florida's east coast. Real estate manager/owner since 1990. Sold all my properties including my own home, my Corvette and most all my material possesions 6 months ago. I am semi-retired since 2008. 44 yrars old. No kids. Divorced. Don't want kids. Don't want marriage. I've lived and traveled a lot last 10 years mostly South America and Europe. I currently live in extended stay Hotel in Miami. Back the 90s, I lived in Los Angeles.... enjoyed my time in SoCal but was always on the verge of living on the street due to my unstable job(s). I lived in Spain and South America off and on last few years. I work from my Laptop so can live anywhere. I'm financially very good but I do live on a budget. Looking to enjoy life and pursue new friends, new hobbies and old passions. Seeking to settle a bit and buy a small Condo.

Southern California or South Florida?

Opinions and feedback appreciated in advance.

----

PS: Admins/Mods: Seeking both state's viewpoints so posted in California Forum also. If I broke a rule, my apologies.

Last edited by R66; 02-20-2010 at 01:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 01:15 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,771,305 times
Neither . Its time for you to get away from the hustle and bustle and enjoy your retirement living in the woods 10-20 miles away from the nearest town, living cheaply, paying very low property taxes, being close to the beaches , having nature surrounding you, having all the peace and quiet you can take in, seeing more stars at night than imaginable, practice pistol shooting on your property legally, having the Interstate and major highways closeby for easy travel, and having neighbors no closer than 500 yards (albiet needing alot of dental work and makeover) . Yes...yes....this can all be yours ! Come to the Panhandle of Florida where life begins again at 44 . P.S. No BMW / $600 suits / etc needed ... and if youve got lots of money youre still just one of the locals who gets waved to when you go down the road . Its the simple life, its what youve been looking for....its for you.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:28 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
Hello All -

A pleasure to be apart of a great Forum. Thanks to the Moderators and Administrators for approving my registration.

About Me: Born/raised in small town Florida's east coast. Real estate manager/owner since 1990. Sold all my properties including my own home, my Corvette and most all my material possesions 6 months ago. I am semi-retired since 2008. 44 yrars old. No kids. Divorced. Don't want kids. Don't want marriage. I've lived and traveled a lot last 10 years mostly South America and Europe. I currently live in extended stay Hotel in Miami. Back the 90s, I lived in Los Angeles.... enjoyed my time in SoCal but was always on the verge of living on the street due to my unstable job(s). I lived in Spain and South America off and on last few years. I work from my Laptop so can live anywhere. I'm financially very good but I do live on a budget. Looking to enjoy life and pursue new friends, new hobbies and old passions. Seeking to settle a bit and buy a small Condo.

Southern California or South Florida?

Opinions and feedback appreciated in advance.

----

PS: Admins/Mods: Seeking both state's viewpoints so posted in California Forum also. If I broke a rule, my apologies.
First, let me say that you present yourself and your credentials in a very courteous, mannerly fashion! Now, I know you can't be from NYC! Just kidding!

In response to your thread, I go with Florida.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:16 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,121,426 times
I say Florida, the main reason being that from a financial standpoint, it will be a more economical home base should you want to travel or be conservative with your funds. Florida has plenty to offer, and there are some great deals to be had in the condo market right now.

Good luck to you!

Old 02-20-2010, 05:01 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Another vote for southern Florida. The cost of living and taxes will kill you in California and make the homeowner's insurance situation here seem tolerable. The modest condo in SoCal is where? out by Riverside? Meanwhile, you can find modest and safe very close to the coast here if you don't care about the prestiege of the zip code.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:41 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
In the past few years I have lived in both SoCal and South Florida. I am also in a similar situation in terms of single etc. If you are not planning on purchasing then you could rent in either place and see what better suits you. CA is very expensive to a purchase a home and for purchase you would get more for your money in FL. That would also be true for renting depending on the area. Everyones definition of financially set is different. I am not sure if you plan to go back to work but if so where it would give you better opportunity. If not where you can live off savings for the years ahead with the changing market and inflation. Obviously both states have a range of areas you could live in so maybe if you find an area that suits you that could better make the choice. Such as if you wanted to live on the ocean it would be more affordable in FL then CA. Traffic regardless if it is 5 am or 5 pm in Ca is nuts but being you work from home that will have less impact on you. The weather in Ca is year round wonderful. I feel both have the opportunity to get involved socially and with hobbies you just have to put yourself out there. Only you know what is right and I feel a lot will depend financially. I like CA a lot and so that would be my top choice but a lot would depend on the lifestyle I could have.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:02 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,835,513 times
If you have lived in both places and can't decide then neither is what you want.

Why not travel for a year or 2 or 3 and find the place that calls your name.
I was just doing a little search for living in France and found that you can purchase overseas health insurance for WAY less than we're paying now, it covers all of Europe.
The French healthcare system is one the best in the world and the reason a lot of British retire there.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:25 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,560,012 times
Southern California, I loved living in Long Beach.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:09 AM
R66 R66 started this thread

145 posts, read 419,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagardener View Post
for living in France and found that you can purchase overseas health insurance for WAY less than we're paying now, it covers all of Europe. The French healthcare system is one the best in the world and the reason a lot of British retire there.
#1. BIG thanks all feedback.

#2. Lived in Spain last year for 6 months. Hated it. Although France seems very livable and nice. Very clean and the south has nice folks... I would never live in Europe. Cold, rainy, people are not so nice... And the Euro is very high. Latin America is much better for your $. But violence, currupt people, poverty and general craziness of Brazil is big red flag. Rio is controlled chaos. I've rented in both Miami ( Coral Gables ) and LA ( Marina de Rey ). I found I enjoy both places. LA traffic is worse and nice 1/1 Condo in the Marina will run me $450,000 and up. That same Condo on Brickell Key much less, $200,000 and Brickell Key is sweet place to hang. High security island off downtown Miami.

LA has all my hobbies readily available. Florida little less. But I am Florida boy...

Maybe renting AGAIN in both areas long term is answer.

I might choose OC tor Orange County. I know SF Valley, Hollywood area and westside to LB.

Now way I'll live out in Riverside, Inland Empire area.

Last few days passing time in Bogota -- I like it here. But my outdoor hobbies would suffer big time. Feels like Seattle.

Have a great day everyone !!!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 12:19 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R66 View Post
#1. BIG thanks all feedback.

#2. Lived in Spain last year for 6 months. Hated it. Although France seems very livable and nice. Very clean and the south has nice folks... I would never live in Europe. Cold, rainy, people are not so nice... And the Euro is very high. Latin America is much better for your $. But violence, currupt people, poverty and general craziness of Brazil is big red flag. Rio is controlled chaos. I've rented in both Miami ( Coral Gables ) and LA ( Marina de Rey ). I found I enjoy both places.
Maybe renting AGAIN in both areas long term is answer.
ditto for the rest of the world. Aint it great to be in America having the easy choice between two lovely but sufficiently different locales...and either way still be able to enjoy the good old USA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida