Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 7,099 times

Advertisements

This is a general Florida question, where is the safest place to live, eg towns, cities etc because i am planning to move there with my wife and 3 kids.

If Florida isnt the place for me which state should i go to which has higher temperatures than the UK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 04:49 PM

616 posts, read 1,558,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattington View Post
This is a general Florida question, where is the safest place to live, eg towns, cities etc because i am planning to move there with my wife and 3 kids.

If Florida isnt the place for me which state should i go to which has higher temperatures than the UK.
Any city is going to have its share of crime. It's all about being aware of your surroundings, and taking caution - i.e. don't leave valuable items in plain sight of your car window.

The only way to get away from the crime is to have acreage upon acreage surrounding you - but even then you could have someone raid your property.

Best thing to do is try to come for an extended vacation - more than a week. Research areas that interest you and your family. Then when you have narrowed it down to areas that will support your career, interest, and general idea of where you'd like to live... then we can be more helpful. Most of our states are bigger than most countries in E.U. So, for a general question like the one you pose, there's too many variables to answer.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:04 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,743,670 times
ANY southern state in the U.S. is going to be warmer than the UK. The safest part of Florida is the Panhandle which is the northwest corner of the State. Nice beaches, people friendly, very family oriented, cheapest place in FLorida to live, work may or may not be good for you depending on what you do for a living and the demand for it in the Panhandle.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:52 PM

4 posts, read 56,645 times
I've been researching the different areas of FL as well and keep going back and forth between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale areas. I've been reading so many negative views on Miami and different opinions that have me confused. These are just thoughts my husband and I are having right now. I was born and raised in NYC, Queens to be exact, so nothing really shocks me or scares me that much. My husband is Dominican born and raised and has been in NY for the past 10 months. I'm Italian/American and speak both Italian and Spanish fluently so I know it wouldn't be a problem for me with the Latin culture down there. I also have worked in the travel industry for 10 years so I'm sure I could find a job in one of the hotels or tour operators since I have a lot of contacts down there.

We eventually would like to move down to FL once we save up money but are not too sure where. He has family in the Miami area, I forgot which city though. His aunt and cousins live in Orlando and some friends of ours live close to Ft. Lauderdale. I also have friends that live in Kendall and Kissimmee. My husband's cousins and friends have told him they could easily get him a job in construction with them so that wouldn't be a problem. I'm just getting confused with all the different areas of Miami. I definitely want to be very close to the beach since I'm a beach nut but I know South Beach and Miami Beach are too expensive. Honestly I've never been to Miami, YET, I was in Orlando on a business trip 2 year ago.

I can acclimate pretty well as long as I know where I'm going and have a decent job. I lived in Sicily for 1 year when I was in my 20's and I survived that! I also traveled back and forth to my husband's town in the Dominican Republic for 2 years constantly and believe me, if you can survive the humidity, crime etc there, then you can survive it anywhere!

Is there a huge difference between Miami and Ft. Lauderdale? I've been looking at apartment/condo rentals in both areas and I see Ft. Lauderdale is a lot cheaper but I don't know any of the areas.

Any advice and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:35 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,723,341 times
Estero....

Old 02-22-2010, 10:22 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,719,160 times
Does anyone know if Okeechobee is a safe city? I'm thinking about moving there because it is rural and cheaper, plus I'm a strange mixture of progressive and redneck, don't ask about that . . .

Old 02-22-2010, 11:03 AM

13,256 posts, read 22,657,287 times
The Everglades areas can be pretty iffy. For redneck and progressive, I'd probably aim for half an hour outside Gainesville or Tallahassee or maybe between Orlando and Melbourne.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The Everglades areas can be pretty iffy. For redneck and progressive, I'd probably aim for half an hour outside Gainesville or Tallahassee or maybe between Orlando and Melbourne.
Those areas seem nice, but northern and central Florida are not what I'm looking for. Mainly, those areas are too prone to sinkholes so I'm going to avoid living there.

I've heard that the Everglades area is iffy, but that the northern part around lake Okeechobee is pretty safe and the southern part of the lake is what should be avoided. That's just what I've read, which could be way off or close. I'm still researching.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:10 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,723,341 times
Clewiston is ok.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
Clewiston is ok.
That area is too unpredictable right now. I know the state is buying the land from the local sugar company to restore the Everglades, so I'm probably ruling that town out too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida