Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 08:46 AM

566 posts, read 2,051,890 times

Advertisements

Dobsonfly? hmmm, never seen one...maybe, they are elsewhere in the state like other buggies??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2006, 09:54 AM

43 posts, read 238,439 times
Default Dobson fly?

Been here 50 years--never heard of it. Lovebugs I think are only here for a short while. We just drove back from Disney and had them all over the front of our truck.

Old 09-29-2006, 08:17 AM

I'm suprised nobody's asked about alligators and sharks.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:57 AM

5,463 posts, read 7,036,071 times
What about your dogs roaming around the yard? Aren't they prone to getting bit by the fire ants?

Old 10-05-2006, 12:34 PM

566 posts, read 2,051,890 times
Luckily, I've never had a problem w/fire ants at this house for some reason & I don't use yard poisons. We do have the harmless black ones and those tiny-tiny ghost ants that come inside the kitchen twice a year. These ghost ants have a sweet tooth during part of the year and then their appetite changes & they go for oils - even some dried up oils that might be stuck around the stove or pots & pans. There is one product that comes in a little ole' bottle that is the only thing that works. All it takes is one drop on your windowsill and they are gone for good.

Old 10-05-2006, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
What about your dogs roaming around the yard? Aren't they prone to getting bit by the fire ants?
Not unless its an elderly dog or puppy. But they shouldn't be left out, or any dog in this heat. If you live near a lake watch out for alligators-not kidding! They will attack a dog or a child.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:12 AM

2 posts, read 15,355 times
Thumbs up Florida Bug Runners-Dunedin, Florida

I just got back from Vacation from Bradenton Beach...Love it there..went from 82 to 22 degree weather hows that for a kick in the -ss!

A friend of Mine who was a previous Michigander and a Former Florida Fire Fighter has passed and is certified in all three areas of pest control. I think they are Bugs, rodents and lawn and garden. He previously worked for a Company for sometime and now since his certification is licensed...he lives in Dunedin, Florida and has recently started up his own business....He services the gulf area....

Give him a jingle for a regular sprayer...he will give you a good deal tell him Kim sent you... I came on this site to find out more about them darn noseeems. That got me on my last supper in Cortez Kitchen the night before we flew out and I feel like I am going in sane....

Dave Patrias
Fla. Bug Runners
(727)733-2700

Last edited by kimbo410; 04-06-2007 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-06-2007, 10:45 AM

607 posts, read 3,549,575 times
Has anyone yet seen the correlation between all the pesticide use in Florida and all of the grouchy mean people? Think about it.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:47 AM

489 posts, read 2,008,394 times
Seriously, I lived in St. Pete in an apartment for five years (two different communities) and never saw a single roach or any signs of having them. I moved down to Ft. Myers, and they were in the apartment I rented. Of course, I didn't know it until I was already there with all of my things. They were German Cockroaches, and not only did they get into everything, they also got into the crevices of all of my wood furniture (unbeknownst to me), and to get completely rid of them, I had to throw out every bit of wood furnishings, paper (tons of books that they had gotten into), and also had to throw out electronics to include TWO COMPUTERS because they also hid in there, and no way to exterminate inside computers. We threw out the fax machine, too, because they were also in there. If you're wondering why throw these items out, I will just say that they leave "waste" and odor all over the place. Even if you could clean it all completely and get rid of the stains and odor, there is still the health concern. Cockroaches are very DIRTY and can carry up to 40 different types of illnesses that threaten your health.

Being a northerner, I will say this: You do NOT have to be dirty to have bugs though I can see how being dirty would definitely worsen the problem. Up in the Tampa Bay area, I would say there was still a stigma about having bugs there; however, down here, it is almost a given and even accepted. I don't accept it - not after living in FL for so many years previously and being bug free.

To date, we still have been too parenoid to replace all of our wood furnishings and still keep A LOT of items in plastic containers with lids. Additionally, we will not be taking any furniture with us to our new place when we return to St. Pete. No big items at all, in fact, just to be safe.

iashell - I am going to get the 20 mule team borax to use around here as a precaution and will also use it in St. Pete upon my return just to be safe. I've used it in carpets and animal bedding for fleas in the past, and it is GREAT. Didn't know it works on roaches. Thanks for sharing this tip.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 8,803 times
Default lots of bugs but.....

i'm looking to move i hear all these things about bugs they really don't bother me what i haven't heard about is spiders. My sister is new to FL she says ther are lots of spiders there. I'm looking to find out more about them. Can some one please fill me in. Locating I'm looking at is Lake City
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida