Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:48 PM

262 posts, read 937,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedUpInFtMyers View Post
Seriously, I lived in St. Pete in an apartment for five years (two different communities) and never saw a single roach or any signs of having them. I moved down to Ft. Myers, and they were in the apartment I rented.
I lived in an apartment in St. Pete, didn't have an exterminator and didn't have any bugs. Then we moved. Our current house (for almost 20 years) is an old wood-frame thing, also in St. Pete. If we didn't have an exterminator, it would be unliveable due to palmetto bugs. Even with the bug-man, there are still a few that survive long enough to give me a stroke.

Going to bed one night and felt something crawling on my arm and there it was - EWWWWWWW! I was out of that house in a hearbeat. gross.

And then there are the grasshoppers.

Honestly I can't believe the size of these monsters. They're disgusting. But Polk Co. has them even worse than St. Pete, they're even all over the road. In fact, a few weeks ago, I saw a brief segment on TV about these huge things - and it was filmed in Polk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 08:53 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
In my several years in Broward County, I can say that I have not seen a single roach since I have lived here. Not even under furniture, behind crevices after cleaning out, or anywhere! Never seen a spider, either. The mosquitoes are not as bad as I have experienced up in the NE, or anywhere in this country (SURPRISE!) The only thing I have are these annoying little "ghost ants" that can be eliminated by placing a few traps. I guess Broward is so bad, that even the bugs are leaving for North Carolina .

Old 07-07-2007, 12:03 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
I do no spraying inside home except for an ocassional intruder.Have lived in this home for 7 years.Other home 14 years.Have never seen any elsewhere.Like someone said about how they fly,one could be carried in.Would not like to live with poison inside home.I circle home with terazizide several times a year which provides a good barrier.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:21 PM

27 posts, read 187,111 times
For the people that say they have never seen any Palmetto bugs in their homes, do they live in "higher class" homes, so to speak, or open lots without trees?

I was told that even though "Palmetto bugs" are called that, the bug itself lives in pine trees, which is what was surrounding our property, and we had them. We hired an exterminator, and I still couldn't stand to see them dying either. I would rather not see them at all, lol! We kept all paper products/dry goods in tupperware and then in a large plastic sealed bin. I never used the kitchen cabinets from the day I moved there, when a roach flew out at my face.

I didn't mind the lizards, snakes or turtles or spiders on the property.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:29 PM

432 posts, read 1,878,727 times
Borax works great on roaches. It's just nasty if you have pets to have it around.

Palmetto bugs live pretty much wherever they can, very adaptable, and they like damp. So you may well find them getting into old plumbing, loose drains, improperly installed window ac units, etc. YOu want to keep cracks sealed and plumbing properly maintained no matter where you are in FL or how high end your property is.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:35 PM

262 posts, read 937,493 times
Palmetto bugs make their home in pine bark, and they really like Sabal palmetto (hence their name). I've even seen them flying around sabals at night (ick).

I think - just based on what I've observed over the years - that cinder block homes that are well-sealed are a lot easier to keep bugs out of. Wood frame homes have cracks and crevices that the bugs love. I don't think "high-class" has much to do with it, except the homes tend not to be wood-frame. From what I've seen, cleanliness doesn't have much to do with palmetto bugs either. That's more of an issue with German roaches. I haven't had to deal with German roaches in FL at all.

Interesting to read that Fort Lauderdale said he hadn't had any trouble with palmetto bugs in Broward. I lived there many years ago and we didn't have them either - no exterminator nor any need for one. I definitely think the Gulf Coast is buggier than S. FL.

Old 07-07-2007, 03:14 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyblue8776 View Post
i'm looking to move i hear all these things about bugs they really don't bother me what i haven't heard about is spiders. My sister is new to FL she says ther are lots of spiders there. I'm looking to find out more about them. Can some one please fill me in. Locating I'm looking at is Lake City
I live in Lake City area,my post to bugs is below.We will be moving from Branford area to Lake City.The new property has never been treated,so is crawling with insects.Have been treating with terazizide which effectively takes care of problem.

Old 11-15-2007, 04:47 PM

2 posts, read 15,402 times
Default Florida Bug Runners

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbo410 View Post
I just got back from Vacation from Bradenton Beach...Love it there..went from 82 to 22 degree weather hows that for a kick in the -ss!

A friend of Mine who was a previous Michigander and a Former Florida Fire Fighter has passed and is certified in all three areas of pest control. I think they are Bugs, rodents and lawn and garden. He previously worked for a Company for sometime and now since his certification is licensed...he lives in Dunedin, Florida and has recently started up his own business....He services the gulf area....

Give him a jingle for a regular sprayer...he will give you a good deal tell him Kim sent you... I came on this site to find out more about them darn noseeems. That got me on my last supper in Cortez Kitchen the night before we flew out and I feel like I am going in sane....

Dave Patrias
Fla. Bug Runners
Termite and Pest Control
(727)733-2700
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 11-15-2007, 09:29 PM

354 posts, read 1,272,952 times
We don't have much of a problem at all in Venice. We live a stones throw from the Gulf. We live in a new construction block house and have bug service every 3 months. Only because we had ants on the counters at first. No ants since.

Only bugs we get are "no see-ums'. like mini mosquito's. Only at dusk and not all the time. We have had the occasional spider in a car. (my wife freaks out).

In New England we had much worse with mosquitos, Black flys, green heads in Maine.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:38 AM

428 posts, read 1,472,180 times
Wacth out for black widows in your shed- they have been exploding population-wise.

We get occasional outside roaches (the ones that live in the soil/mulch) and palmetto bugs, especially when it rains- they come in from outside. But we have two cats and a good pet service, so 99% of the time, they are dead when we find them.

The more lizards, snakes, and toads you have outside- the less pests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida