U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 03:40 PM

5,701 posts, read 22,900,748 times

Advertisements

This might be a great time to post about places to see in Florida. With the summer months ahead many families will be travelling and we have experienced many question and are asking us to give advice. Maybe we can build somewhat of a list that others will benefit....

Florida Keys: Seven stops on 'The Animal Tour'

For some, the Keys are all about the wild nightlife of Key West. For my family, the highlight of a visit to the Keys has always been the wildlife. In fact, we christened our last visit to the Keys "The Animal Tour " because we organized our trip around a variety of encounters with creatures.

# Robert is Here: Robert is Here - Tropical Fruits - 305-246-1592
# Robbie's Marina: Robbie's of Islamorada: Offering the widest diversity of recreational marine activities in Islamorada, Florida Keys - Offshore, Backcountry and Partyboat Fishing, Boat Rentals, Guided Tours, and Tarpon Feeding.
# Dolphins Research Center: Welcome to Dolphin Research Center
# National Key Deer Refuge: National Key Deer Refuge | Southeast Region
# Deer Run B&B: Deer Run Bed & Breakfast, Big Pine Key, Florida Keys
# The Barnacle B&B
# Casa Grande B&B: Casa Grande - Bed and Breakfast on the Ocean (broken link)
# Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum: [ERNEST HEMINGWAY HOME & MUSEUM - Key West, Florida...]
# Key West Aquarium: Key West Aquarium
# John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park: Welcome to the Official Florida Online Parks Guide!!
# Florida Keys Wild Bird Center: Florida Keys Wild Bird Center Home Page
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 08:45 PM

4 posts, read 16,234 times
You left out the roosters roaming about the Blue Heaven restaurant in Key West.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:16 PM

1,683 posts, read 7,789,719 times
OK...I'll post about one of my favorite cities in Florida - St. Augustine. We did a mini vacation there over Labor Day weekend last year. It was fun!

Some don't miss things and tips...

Where to stay:
Try to stay on downtown on the bayfront, St. George Street or Avenida Menendez. Parking is always an issue. St. Augustine is small enough that if you stay in any of the hotels or b and b's close in - you can walk to almost everywhere you'll want to go.

We have stayed at the Monterey Inn on the Bayfront. It is an older establishment, but the rooms are large, spotless and smelled great! I'm a real stickler for stale smells in hotel rooms...can't stand 'em. I don't remember the price, but it was very reasonable. We've also stayed in some really nice B and B's before when it was just DH and I. Our favorites are The Westcott House and The Old Powder House.

Some things you should see and do:
Castillo de San Marcos - be sure to watch the movie for all the background and history and plan to be there when they shoot off the cannons.

Spanish Quarter Village - this is what St. Augustine is all about. I think every 4th grade class in Florida must visit here. Don't miss it! Sort of like the Florida version of Williamsburg or Plimouth Village in Massachusetts.

The Oldest House - this is pretty cool and amazing - worth the visit.

A Ghost Tour - Take the midnight tour...it's really cool!!

Be sure to walk St. George Street at night. Lots of fun, music and good food!
Don't miss Savannah Sweets right on St. George - the pralines and turtles are the best I've ever had anywhere! If you're a Vera Bradley fan - the best selection of her items can be found just off St. George on Hypolita St. at a little shop called Among the Flowers.

Flager College - Gorgeous. These days you have to take a tour. We used to just walk through. But it's worth it for the Tiffany windows, amazing murals and architecture.

Lightner Museum - this is in the famous Alcazar Hotel built by Henry Flagler.
Be sure to go upstairs and see the steam room and the bath rooms. There is a music room with victorian musical instruments and a Victorian Village which recreates the streets 100 years ago. Don't miss the world's largest indoor swimming pool in the basement. It's incredible. If you visit around lunch time - they have an excellent cafe in the middle of the 'pool' area and you will be serenaded by live acoustical guitar.

Mission of Nombre de Dios - a great way to spend time reflecting and relaxing.

Ponce de Leon Fountain of Youth - this one is OK. The show inside the cinema dome is cool. If you have to leave something out - this would be my choice.

St. Augustine Lighthouse and Museum - You have to drive to this one - it's on Anastasia Island just across the Bridge of Lions. Take a picnic lunch to eat at the park across the street. IMHO, it's one of the prettiest lighthouses ever.

While you're on Anastasia Island, be sure to go to Anastasia State Park. The beach there is totally unspoiled and gorgeous and the views are incredible. It's also a great place to camp if you're into that.

Where to Eat:
St. Augustine has some of the best and freshest seafood I've ever eaten. The last time I was there I ate seafood for every meal but breakfast the entire 4 days!

Right on St. George Street - Don't miss the Spanish Bakery (great for breakfast) and The Florida Cracker Cafe. The Columbia is also there, but nothing measures up to the original in Tampa, so I don't even bother anywhere else. A fun way to finish up the evening is at Scarlett O'Hara's Bar and Restaurant on Hypolita Street. Be sure to ask to be seated upstairs at the Ghost Bar where it is reputed to be haunted! The live entertainment has always been good as well.

Schooner's is a little out of the way (over on Ponce de Leon Blvd) but worth the drive. The food is the freshest and the prices are very reasonable.

Harry's right on the bayfront is an excellent restaurant with a cajun flair - you'll think you're in New Orleans. It is just a little pricey so we ate lunch there. If you can get seated on the 2nd floor near the front you will have a great view of Matanzas Bay. I think it's better in the daytime than at night for the view alone! Try the Fried Grit Cakes with Tasso Cream and the Crab Cake Cardinale was delicious.

For the BEST shrimp you will EVER put in your mouth - go to O'Steens on the right hand side just across the Bridge of Lions on Anastasia Island. This is a locals kind of place. Be there early BEFORE 5:00 when they open so you can get a place in line. It's that good. If you're late, be prepared for a LONG wait. And they don't accept credit cards.

We wanted to try out the Gypsy Cab Company, Creekside Dinery and SaltWater Cowboys as we had heard good things about them but we ran out of time..so that one will be on the roster for our next trip.

Here a couple of places we didn't care for:

A1A Ale Works - If you just want to go and sit on the balcony overlooking the bay - it's great. The food was nothing special...kind of like a Bennigans

Oasis on Anastasia Island was another disappointment. The food was good, but just OK - not great like most of the other food we had in St. Augustine.

St. Augustine is a great place to visit.

Old 06-14-2007, 06:51 AM

1,738 posts, read 7,815,522 times
amelia island is awesome

Old 06-14-2007, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
OK...I'll post about one of my favorite cities in Florida - St. Augustine. We did a mini vacation there over Labor Day weekend last year. It was fun!

Where to stay:
Try to stay on downtown on the bayfront, St. George Street or Avenida Menendez. Parking is always an issue. St. Augustine is small enough that if you stay in any of the hotels or b and b's close in - you can walk to almost everywhere you'll want to go.

We have stayed at the Monterey Inn on the Bayfront. It is an older establishment, but the rooms are large, spotless and smelled great! I'm a real stickler for stale smells in hotel rooms...can't stand 'em. I don't remember the price, but it was very reasonable. We've also stayed in some really nice B and B's before when it was just DH and I. Our favorites are The Westcott House and The Old Powder House.

Castillo de San Marcos - be sure to watch the movie for all the background and history and plan to be there when they shoot off the cannons.

Spanish Quarter Village - this is what St. Augustine is all about. I think every 4th grade class in Florida must visit here. Don't miss it! Sort of like the Florida version of Williamsburg or Plimouth Village in Massachusetts.

Don't miss Savannah Sweets right on St. George - the pralines and turtles are the best I've ever had anywhere! If you're a Vera Bradley fan - the best selection of her items can be found just off St. George on Hypolita St. at a little shop called Among the Flowers.

Flager College - Gorgeous. These days you have to take a tour. We used to just walk through. But it's worth it for the Tiffany windows, amazing murals and architecture.

Be sure to go upstairs and see the steam room and the bath rooms. There is a music room with victorian musical instruments and a Victorian Village which recreates the streets 100 years ago. Don't miss the world's largest indoor swimming pool in the basement. It's incredible. If you visit around lunch time - they have an excellent cafe in the middle of the 'pool' area and you will be serenaded by live acoustical guitar.

Ponce de Leon Fountain of Youth - this one is OK. The show inside the cinema dome is cool. If you have to leave something out - this would be my choice.

St. Augustine Lighthouse and Museum - You have to drive to this one - it's on Anastasia Island just across the Bridge of Lions. Take a picnic lunch to eat at the park across the street. IMHO, it's one of the prettiest lighthouses ever.

While you're on Anastasia Island, be sure to go to Anastasia State Park. The beach there is totally unspoiled and gorgeous and the views are incredible. It's also a great place to camp if you're into that.

Where to Eat:
St. Augustine has some of the best and freshest seafood I've ever eaten. The last time I was there I ate seafood for every meal but breakfast the entire 4 days!

Right on St. George Street - Don't miss the Spanish Bakery (great for breakfast) and The Florida Cracker Cafe. The Columbia is also there, but nothing measures up to the original in Tampa, so I don't even bother anywhere else. A fun way to finish up the evening is at Scarlett O'Hara's Bar and Restaurant on Hypolita Street. Be sure to ask to be seated upstairs at the Ghost Bar where it is reputed to be haunted! The live entertainment has always been good as well.

Schooner's is a little out of the way (over on Ponce de Leon Blvd) but worth the drive. The food is the freshest and the prices are very reasonable.

Harry's right on the bayfront is an excellent restaurant with a cajun flair - you'll think you're in New Orleans. It is just a little pricey so we ate lunch there. If you can get seated on the 2nd floor near the front you will have a great view of Matanzas Bay. I think it's better in the daytime than at night for the view alone! Try the Fried Grit Cakes with Tasso Cream and the Crab Cake Cardinale was delicious.

For the BEST shrimp you will EVER put in your mouth - go to O'Steens on the right hand side just across the Bridge of Lions on Anastasia Island. This is a locals kind of place. Be there early BEFORE 5:00 when they open so you can get a place in line. It's that good. If you're late, be prepared for a LONG wait. And they don't accept credit cards.

We wanted to try out the Gypsy Cab Company, Creekside Dinery and SaltWater Cowboys as we had heard good things about them but we ran out of time..so that one will be on the roster for our next trip.

A1A Ale Works - If you just want to go and sit on the balcony overlooking the bay - it's great. The food was nothing special...kind of like a Bennigans

Oasis on Anastasia Island was another disappointment. The food was good, but just OK - not great like most of the other food we had in St. Augustine.

St Augustine is the best location in Florida for very relax vacation....

Old 06-14-2007, 10:17 PM

1,343 posts, read 4,847,314 times
Anybody know of a dog-friendly, laid-back, mom-n-pop kind of place, directly on the beach? My favorite places are disappearing....

Old 06-14-2007, 10:53 PM

For a Delightful and Different weekend getaway - try Tarpon Springs. It boasts the largest Greek population in the US. Stroll along Dodecanese Blvd. - the main waterfront street. Browse the shops and enjoy the Greek Cuisine at the many mom and pop cafes and pastry shops. Try some of the homemade pastries for breakfast...Ummm.

Be sure to try Hellas for lunch - a Tarpon Springs tradition for over 35 years. They advertise the largest and best gyro in town - and they are not exaggerating! The smell of garlic and roasting lamb will make you feel as if you're starving - and it tastes just as good as it smells! Plaka is also excellent for authentic, homemade Greek food. Both are on Dodecanese Blvd.
For a devilish treat...try the Chocolate Baklava at Hellas!!
Dinner at Mykonos is a treat and the menu is huge. It is also family owned and offers authentic, delectible Greek dishes. Their claim to be Florida's most authentic Greek Cookery is right on the money!

Surrounded by the sights and smells of a Greek Fishing Villiage and hearing Greek spoken all around you, makes you feel as if you're literally in Greece.

See what is left of what was the "Sponge Capitol of the World" as you listen to the Greek music spilling out of the local establishments. Visit the "Spongorama" a free museum with a free movie explaining the history of the area. See a live diver in full gear dive for sponges the old fashioned way.

We took one of the many cruises on the Anclote River out to the Gulf. We saw alot of wildlife and beautiful scenery - for the huge price of $8.00 per person!

Then walk or drive about a mile away to the quaint, historic downtown. There are a number of buildings on the National Register of Historic Places, but be sure to visit the St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral - it is beautiful!
There are also many antique and art shops to browse as well as great little Greek eateries.

If you're really adventurous and it's Saturday night, go to Zorba's for Belly Dancing!

For the beach lovers...take the mile long causeway over to Fred Howard Park - a truly lovely beach - although crowded. Sunsets from here are amazing!

If you like privacy arrange for a boat to Anclote Key State Park - accessible only by boat. Truly primitive Florida at its best. Be sure the bring water and your own supplies. NOTHING is available on the island. You will feel like Robinson Crusoe.

Of hiking is your thing, visit Anclote Nature Park with its 3 miles of trails through natural Florida flora with beautiful water overlooks. Just east of Tarpon Springs, visit Brooker Creek Reserve. It holds exhibits and 4 miles of trails - many of them on boardwalks as you stroll through the Florida landscape. The park has 22 permanent exhibits on display and a movie telling of the area's history.

If you visit in the winter, you will likely see manatees - another bonus to this enchanting place.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:56 AM

Someone asked about east coast versus west coast vacations in another thread and it reminded me of an wonderful vacation we had a couple of years ago in Sarasota.

Definitely stay on the beach. We enjoy staying at Lido Key. It's a convenient location, close to St. Armand's Circle for great restaurants and shopping and a quick and beautiful jaunt across John Ringling Blvd. which connects you to the mainland. Our last trip we stayed at the Helmsley Sandcastle down at the end of Lido Key just before the entrance to South Lido Park. It's very private at this end of the key and the Helmsley was beautiful.

Some fun things to do while in the area......
Be sure to go to Siesta Key - the next key south of Lido. The beach is AMAZING!!! Try to time your visit to eat at the OLD SALTY DOG. You won't regret it!

If you have the time and enjoy driving, continue down Midnight Pass Road south through Turtle Beach down Blind Pass Road to the point. A beautiful drive - stop and enjoy the parks and beaches along the way and catch glimpses of Old Florida along the few areas that have not been so highly developed and commercialized.

There are many things to do in Sarasota:
Mote Marine Aquarium

Ringling:
All of these for an admission of $15 - a steal. If you are a Florida teacher you can get in for $5. Students are $5.
Ringling Museum of Art - Amazing! I was impressed with the collection here and the courtyard garden and statuary was quite grand.
Ca d'Zan - or House of John - the Ringling Home - A MUST see
Circus Museum - fascinating - I enjoyed this much more than I thought I would.
The grounds and gardens aound the Ca d'Zan are amazing and as enjoyable as the house. Particularly note the unusual Banyan trees.

Sarasota Jungle Gardens - just for a fun time and the kids will love the animals.

Marie Selby Botanical Gardens - tropical gardens right on the bay

Historic Spanish Point - the site of the most well preserved Indian village in Florida. Also includes gardens and the original settler's home.

Some fun places to eat...
Old Salty Dog in Siesta Key - see above - GREAT fish and chips!
Hemingways on St. Armand's Circle - fun, Key West style, in the evenings try to get a seat outside on the balcony.
Crab and Fin on St. Armand's Circle - great food
Ophelia's On The Bay - for the special occasion...Emeril has been known to frequent this outstanding eatery.
Yoder's Amish Restaurant - Sarasota has a large Amish community - don't miss this restaurant if you like good, old fashioned, homemade food.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:45 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,938,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post

Where to stay:

Where to Eat:

OMG...are you sure you don't want to work for the city, as a tourguide and advertiser???? LOL
I really appreciate your recommendations, and we surely plan a trip to St. Augustine.
I always heard it was so nice, tranquil and old, small town charm there......
After reading your post, I am GOING!!!!
Thank's....you made my mouth water.....

Old 06-18-2007, 05:25 PM

Lightbulb Florida Ranks Fact Sheet

A Look at Florida’s Unique Accolades

* The Florida State Parks organization was once again awarded the National Recreation and Parks Association’s Gold Medal Award, honoring Florida as having the “Nation’s Best State Park Service” making Florida the first two-time winner.
* Forty percent of adult Americans name Florida as the location they would most like to visit according to the 2005 National Leisure Travel Monitor Results conducted by Travel Wire News.
* Five of the top six most hospitable cities in the nation are in Florida, according to Verizon superpages.com and the cities are Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Clearwater and St. Petersburg.
* In the 2005 annual rating of America’s Best Beaches, ‘Dr. Beach’ recognized three of Florida’s beaches including the number one Fort DeSoto Park, number four Caladesi Island State Park, near Clearwater and number eight Cape Florida State Park, near Miami.
* Golf Digest magazine ranks Punta Gorda 3rd for the “Best in America” for quality of life and golf options.
* Travel & Leisure magazine ranks North Florida as one of the “Top Ten Emerging Vacation Destinations.”
* In 2003, the Society of American Travel Writers chose the Florida Keys' Overseas Highway, which connects the islands with the peninsula, as one of the 10 most beautiful drives in the United States.
* Florida has more golf courses than any other state.
* Florida ranks second in the nation for visiting foreigners, according to the Department of Commerce.
* With more than 1,200 kinds of animals, Florida ranks third in the nation in wildlife diversity.
* According to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, Florida boasts more than 700 world record fish catches.
* Florida has more miles of tidal shoreline than any other state in the continental U.S.
* Readers of Recommend Magazine, a monthly publication of travel professionals, voted Florida as the Best Domestic Family Destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida