Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 07:28 PM

81 posts, read 220,718 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, I've posted a few times about our thoughts on the possible move to Florida. I was disturbed to read on line in the Sentinal that Florida has 1100 gangs and 49,000 members. Not sure how they get these figures, but I'm a little disturbed nonetheless. I'd love to hear locals thoughts on this.
Has this always been an issue, or is it being driven by the economy. I'm really starting to rethink my plans now. Crime is definately a big decision factor. Thanks! Angela
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 08:09 PM

329 posts, read 774,931 times
49,000 that's not alot,how many people in the state 17 million or so..if you spent the day watching all the news about crime you would have your place set up like a fire-base. sort it out a little more for the area your interested in. don't let the media decide your life. "live the life you love" love the life you live..good luck.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:10 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,914 times
^ actually Florida is closer to 19 million people and the gangs that I have heard of are imported from LA and other cities that are more notorious for gangs than Florida is.
About the only time I hear of gang violence is when one member kills another.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:52 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,828,258 times
98% of gang activity happens in areas you'd either have to be lost or looking to buy drugs in order to stumble across. Save for the rather rare easy target home robbery, they generally do not cause trouble in the nice parts of town, and even in those cases, there's usually a personal connection to the gang involved.

Freak violent crime against strangers is not unheard of here, but the violent crime in middle class areas is far more likely to be of the domestic violence variety or other relationships gone wrong than a roving bands of yobs scenario.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:27 PM

81 posts, read 220,718 times
Thanks everyone, I guess I'm just from a small town, and the thought of having to think about things like crime, is an eyeopener. I know that if you live life of the premise of what you read in papers it's a scary world indeed. It's just hard for me from across the country to glean what information is sensationalized and what is a reality I need to be aware. I appreciate your posts Beachmouse, you're always helpful. Angela

Old 02-25-2010, 05:29 AM

2,143 posts, read 8,030,607 times
There is a lot of gang activity. The small towns are seeing an increase. Call the Sheriffs office in the area where you want to go, and ask them for gang in formation, and they can tell you how what and how many are in the county.

Last I heard, there were over 25 gangs operating in Martin county, which is relatively small and affluent.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:00 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,900,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalu View Post
Hi Everyone, I've posted a few times about our thoughts on the possible move to Florida. I was disturbed to read on line in the Sentinal that Florida has 1100 gangs and 49,000 members. Not sure how they get these figures, but I'm a little disturbed nonetheless. I'd love to hear locals thoughts on this.
Has this always been an issue, or is it being driven by the economy. I'm really starting to rethink my plans now. Crime is definately a big decision factor. Thanks! Angela
49,000 is about .2% of the population.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:37 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,557,279 times
There are actually some pretty violent gangs in Florida, their power and reach is spreading even to rural areas of Florida.

YouTube - Miami Zoe Pound PART 1

YouTube - Miami Zoe Pound PART 2

Moderator cut: Inappropriate Language In Video

Last edited by doggiebus; 02-25-2010 at 02:16 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 12:59 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,635,632 times
That's funny.

The goony city guy tells me if I want to go through Orange County I better be strapped up. In years of traveling all over the Orlando area I never felt the need to have a gun. Never needed one either since no one ever bothered me.

Yes, OP there are some bad areas of Florida. I lived in Lauderhill at one time and it was not a good area, I worked for a company whose office was in Overtown and I worked all over Dade and Broward County and there were some bad areas. I am sure there are bad areas around Orlando also. Tampa has some bad areas.

Any large city is going to have some crime and gangs. Move to a most small towns here and I am sure it will be very similar to where you are now.

That is not to say you can not live in a large city here and be safe. You will just need to know there will be some areas to avoid.

Old 02-25-2010, 02:38 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,320,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalu View Post
Thanks everyone, I guess I'm just from a small town, and the thought of having to think about things like crime, is an eyeopener. I know that if you live life of the premise of what you read in papers it's a scary world indeed. It's just hard for me from across the country to glean what information is sensationalized and what is a reality I need to be aware. I appreciate your posts Beachmouse, you're always helpful. Angela
I would say it's probably pretty rare that you have no gangs in your area. I wish I could remember the link because there's a map that shows you all different types of gangs and hate organizations from the KKK to crazed religious cults.

Another easy way to tell gang activity is if you ever noticed a pair of shoes with the strings tied together thrown over a power line. This is one way of marking gang territory. I always just thought somebody was mean to somebody else and threw their shoes up there until a police officer clued me in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida