Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 02:20 PM

396 posts, read 399,898 times

Advertisements

Miami & Fort Lauderdale (as of February of 2007):

Care Resource is Florida's one source for HIV/AIDS treatment: at Careresource.org (http://www.careresource.org/stats.html - broken link)

The Miami metropolitan area has the highest AIDS rates in the nation (52.8), followed by Ft. Lauderdale metropolitan area (45.8), and ahead of New York (45.4).

An estimated 29% of Miami-Dade’s population is without health insurance.

Nearly 1.5 percent of the Miami-Dade population lives with HIV or AIDS.

Almost 1 percent of the Broward County population lives with HIV or AIDS

Men who have sex with men (MSM):

Nationwide, MSM represent the largest proportion of new infections (49%), followed by persons exposed through high-heterosexual contact (32%).

In the U.S., 73% of all AIDS cases are among men.

Of the reported HIV cases among men, 67% in Miami and 74% in Fort Lauderdale are MSM.

Women:

Nationwide, African American women account for the majority of new AIDS cases among women (67%).

AIDS is growing among women. In 1994, 23% of AIDS cases in Miami- Dade were among women. In 2005 that figure has increased to 31%. In Broward County, women account for 26% of HIV cases.

74% of AIDS cases among women in Miami-Dade are among African Americans. In Broward County, over 80% of new AIDS cases among women are among African Americans.

Old 08-07-2007, 03:06 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,918,609 times
Yeah, Broward leads the nation in new AIDs cases, Dade in sheer percentage. It's a known fact. In Broward many of the cases are being imported from the West Indies and Africa. It's terrible...

Old 08-08-2007, 12:14 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,665,258 times
With the borders being wide open and no control over who is coming or going you will see a huge increase in diseases we all thought were gone or under control.
Illegals coming in here are not getting medical exams and bringing more then we want.
As far as the Aids virus, is anyone even tracking down people who have it and where they got it.
I firmly believe if you have HIV/Aids you should be forced to show how and where and who you got it from. People, needles or whatever.
We need to stop spending money on AIDs research in other countries and stop the spread of it here first and the only way to do that is control it somehow.
Calf is having allot of small kids with many diseases our kids have been vaccinated with and now they are spreading it all over since they are not getting the shots.
it has to be stopped and soon.

Old 08-08-2007, 08:44 AM

776 posts, read 1,674,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
With the borders being wide open and no control over who is coming or going you will see a huge increase in diseases we all thought were gone or under control.
Illegals coming in here are not getting medical exams and bringing more then we want.
As far as the Aids virus, is anyone even tracking down people who have it and where they got it.
I firmly believe if you have HIV/Aids you should be forced to show how and where and who you got it from. People, needles or whatever.
We need to stop spending money on AIDs research in other countries and stop the spread of it here first and the only way to do that is control it somehow.
Calf is having allot of small kids with many diseases our kids have been vaccinated with and now they are spreading it all over since they are not getting the shots.
Sadly South Florida increasingly becoming like a third world country in many ways.. As an added bonus we are ground zero for hurricanes and have the worst drivers in the country.. But hey the winters and the beaches are incredible..

Last edited by JohnVosilla; 08-08-2007 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 08-08-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Most of the AIDs cases in Dade are in the non-West-Indian black community which has probably been here for a longer time historically than we have...the West Indians also come with their papers because they have to. You can't just sail on a boat and land on the shore without getting caught. On top of that, most of the cases in Broward are actually occurring in the 2nd to San Francisco gay community...

Old 08-08-2007, 10:04 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,665,258 times
[quote=fort lauderdale;1235570]Most of the AIDs cases in Dade are in the non-West-Indian black community which has probably been here for a longer time historically than we have...the West Indians also come with their papers because they have to. You can't just sail on a boat and land on the shore without getting caught. On top of that, most of the cases in Broward are actually occurring in the 2nd to San Francisco gay community...[/QUOTE]

Wow, that is scary.

Old 08-08-2007, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Wow, that is scary.
It is, but at the same time, if you aren't gay and making good lifestyle choices, it's not affecting you.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:29 PM

113 posts, read 469,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
It is, but at the same time, if you aren't gay and making good lifestyle choices, it's not affecting you.
Actually, I would challenge that statement... There are several Non-sexual routes of transmission of the HIV virus.

And I'm sure there's more than one case of the heterosexual wife of a "curious" husband who has contracted HIV unknowingly.

IMHO, there is definitely more risk living in an area with high HIV penetration. HIV doesn't care if your gay.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unixpilot View Post
Actually, I would challenge that statement... There are several Non-sexual routes of transmission of the HIV virus.

And I'm sure there's more than one case of the heterosexual wife of a "curious" husband who has contracted HIV unknowingly.

IMHO, there is definitely more risk living in an area with high HIV penetration. HIV doesn't care if your gay.
Like I said, good lifestyle choices...how else am I going to get HIV, by injecting heroin? since thats something we all do...it sounds like you are just disagreeing because you feel like disagreeing without putting much thought into why you are...

Last edited by compelled to reply; 08-09-2007 at 12:00 AM..

Old 08-09-2007, 08:09 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,196,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixpilot View Post

I feel my chances of contracting aids is like zero and I live in a very gay neighborhood. You are not getting AIDs unless you put yourself at risk or as in the case of a careless partner putting you at risk. Blood transfusions have also been a (very low) risk factor. The last thing I am worried about is aids. Not to say it couldn't mutate into something that may be spread by mosquitoes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida