Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:05 PM

96 posts, read 358,021 times

Advertisements

Pensacola, Panama City, Jacksonville, Daytona, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale , St. Petersburg, Tampa, Gainesville, all will suffer. I would say just to be safe choose:
Orlando
Tallahassee
Lake City
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 06:15 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Quote:
Pensacola, Panama City, Jacksonville, Daytona, Miami, Ft. Lauderdale , St. Petersburg, Tampa, Gainesville, all will suffer. I would say just to be safe choose:
Orlando
Tallahassee
Lake City
And yet Orlando has taken a hit recently and suffered a lot of damage, while Tampa/St. Petersburg have not taken a hit in a long time. Nowhere is "safe" from hurricane in Florida.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:12 PM

643 posts, read 1,485,780 times
Thumbs down Bad Weather Phenomenon is not equally present everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That said, almost everywhere in the country and world will have some sort of bad weather phenomenon to be concerned with.
Yeah, but...

I always hear that statement when living in areas with big storm issues - tornadoes, hurricanes, noreaster's, etc. "(Stuff) happens everywhere" is just a meaningless and inaccurate cliche'. Bad weather phenomenon does not exist in every area of this country and when one is researching relocation areas, it can certainly be factored.

I grew up in Seattle which is about as safe as it gets. Having lived in tornado alley for ten years, the arctic for a few, and in two areas with hurricanes and 1 with some scary noreasters, I remember how easy it is to live in Seattle when it comes to weather.

There are plenty of (much) safer choices when it comes to comparative "bad weather phenomenon". Florida just isn't one of them.

It's all about risk vs. benefit. Not ignorance as bliss.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:42 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Though Seattle is a 'ring of fire' city with volcano and earthquake risks for the area.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:36 AM

35 posts, read 154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post

dumbest question ever asked but I think your map points that out!
No reason to criticize someone's question, we aren't all meteorologists and FEMA employees here! There are no dumb questions only ignorant people that criticize others!

On that note look into Lake County, pretty much unscathed by natural disasters.

Old 03-26-2010, 08:27 PM

197 posts, read 752,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
We live in Lake City,North Florida.The closest a hurricane has come to this area was around 1964,it brushed the area along the GA,FL border,flooded Live Oak.In the middle empty area along border on Dumbest Question map.
Is hurricane insurance reasonable in Lake City? Is the area RV-friendly? We have a travel trailer and prefer non-HOA property. (Just an FYI - we keep a very clean home, both in and out.) Are there areas that are proned to flooding?

Sorry to bombard you with these questions.

iuki

Old 03-26-2010, 10:26 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Really a hurricane can hit anywhere in Florida. I think that the Miami and Key West have the highest possibility of a hurricane strike. You need to be prepared where ever you live. I am a native Floridian and have lived in or close by Sarasota county my whole life and have never evacuated, not to say that I wouldn't but I've never felt the need to.

Anywhere you live in the world you will be faced with some kind of natural disaster-tornadoes, typhoons, tidal waves, earthquakes, blizzards, etc. At least with hurricanes you will usually have advance notice before they hit. If you choose to leave you have the opportunity to do so. This is not the case with most other weather situations.

Since 1992 Hurricane Andrew, the Florida Building codes have been up graded in 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006 to deal with damage from wind. Even new manufactured homes are safer than site built homes pre-94 The newer the home since 94, the less insurance you will pay. Insurance for pre 94 homes is difficult to get/keep and you will pay a lot of money for coverage.

Some hurricanes are large and can cover the whole state, while some like 2004 Charley was an oversized tornado. Some years we have to watch for a dozen and other years only one or two. The hurricane season runs from June to November with the peak amount in September.

Here's a chart that shows the probability of a hurricane strike in each area:
Florida Hurricane Coastal Strike Probability

Hurricane strike probabilities are only statistical
estimates. Be prepared as storms approach.

This website is also pretty helpful-- Florida Hurricane Info

Old 03-26-2010, 10:45 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,577,035 times
Kind of funny how Jacksonville is a coastal city, yet it has the lowest statistical risk of a hurricane

I live in Orlando, was living in CT in 2004 and 2005 when the hurricanes came through.

I heard the damage was pretty bad but also that it could have been a lot worse

Every place has some sort of disaster or weather issue that could happen

California may have the best weather (Northern Cali being the exception) but the earthquake risk is too great, same applies for the entire Pacific Coast

The Mid-west has brutal arctic cold in the winter, tornadoes in the spring along with floods from all the melting snow, and brutally hot summers, more tornadoes in the fall. Who the hell would wanna live there?

The Southeast has brutal summer heat, tornadoes in the winter, and hurricanes

New England and the Northeast have crippling Nor'Easters. Brutal winter cold, but nice warm not HOT summers (a few hot days not many)

I think the ideal to place to live would be pretty much anywhere in the desert southwest. Las Vegas and Phoenix are the two largest cities in the desert. Both have 300+ sunny days year round, mild winters (Though Vegas sees snow on occasion) Temperatures are moderate for the most part (except in the summer) and there is little risk of any type of natural disaster

Vegas may be at risk for an earthquake but that is not likely

I will be moving there soon! I love the desert southwest, I cant wait!

Old 03-27-2010, 03:17 AM

2 posts, read 22,833 times
Default Yea

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Ocala/Gainesville area seems pretty removed form this type of weather related natural disaster concern ?
Lived in Gville for 10 yrs and never saw one close.

Old 03-27-2010, 06:14 PM

776 posts, read 1,673,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Really a hurricane can hit anywhere in Florida. I think that the Miami and Key West have the highest possibility of a hurricane strike. You need to be prepared where ever you live. I am a native Floridian and have lived in or close by Sarasota county my whole life and have never evacuated, not to say that I wouldn't but I've never felt the need to.

Anywhere you live in the world you will be faced with some kind of natural disaster-tornadoes, typhoons, tidal waves, earthquakes, blizzards, etc. At least with hurricanes you will usually have advance notice before they hit. If you choose to leave you have the opportunity to do so. This is not the case with most other weather situations.

Since 1992 Hurricane Andrew, the Florida Building codes have been up graded in 1994, 1998, 2002, 2006 to deal with damage from wind. Even new manufactured homes are safer than site built homes pre-94 The newer the home since 94, the less insurance you will pay. Insurance for pre 94 homes is difficult to get/keep and you will pay a lot of money for coverage.

Some hurricanes are large and can cover the whole state, while some like 2004 Charley was an oversized tornado. Some years we have to watch for a dozen and other years only one or two. The hurricane season runs from June to November with the peak amount in September.

Here's a chart that shows the probability of a hurricane strike in each area:
Florida Hurricane Coastal Strike Probability

Hurricane strike probabilities are only statistical
estimates. Be prepared as storms approach.

This website is also pretty helpful-- Florida Hurricane Info
Pretty much if you stick with northeast FL,the 441 corridor north of Clermont or inland Pasco, Hernando and Citrus counties your odds of a hurricane are slim to none. Just check for lush mature shade trees for additional clues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida