Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2010, 02:17 PM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times

Advertisements

I'm a single 50 yo looking to move to Florida and buy a condo. A vast majority of what I can afford seems to fall into the 55+ category which is maddening. I don't have children and lead a pretty quiet existence, so I'm not exactly going to
be a nuisance. Do I really have to wait 5 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 04:34 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,998 times
Yes. That's why it says 55 and over.

Old 03-13-2010, 04:38 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
The Florida Panhandle is very affordable , especially with forecolsures and short sales. If you dont mind living in the woods where its quiet and lots of nature with a dirt or sand road, you can get a mobile home on an acre of land for approx. $50-60 k. without any fixup. I presently know of a 4 bedroom 2005 mobile home on 2 acres of land in the woods in Holt,Fl. that was appraised at $116k and going for $50 k. Its a foreclosure but in superb condition inside and out. I walked thru it . The Bank wants to just be rid of it. Lots of great deals up this way. Start here : www.trulia.com and www.realtor.com and put in your price range .

Old 03-13-2010, 05:46 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,399,160 times
Some 55+ communities allow for people to be under 55 if the majority of the community is over 55. You (or your realtor) would have to speak to the association to find out.

Old 03-14-2010, 04:14 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,116,442 times
We have friends who were building in Sweetwater a 55+ community here in Jacksonville. When they took us over to show us around I was really impressed and ask the woman in the office "Do you ever allow under 55" Her response was that they did make exceptions if you were 50.

Old 03-14-2010, 06:26 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
It depends on how the legal documents that govern the HOA/Condo association and deed covenents are written. There is no single answer.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:20 AM

54 posts, read 99,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm a single 50 yo looking to move to Florida and buy a condo. A vast majority of what I can afford seems to fall into the 55+ category which is maddening. I don't have children and lead a pretty quiet existence, so I'm not exactly going to
be a nuisance. Do I really have to wait 5 years?
As mentioned it just depends. Perhaps with the economy some places are willing to bend the rules. For instance I was recently approved to purchase a mobile home in a 55+ community and turned down for another.

Pray, check on Craig's List and be positive. You'll find something.

LL

Old 03-17-2010, 11:39 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,129,761 times
It's a Fair Housing issue, folks.

The 55+ rule is a matter of statute. Fair Housing laws prohibit discrimination on the basis of familial status, but make no provisions for age discrimination.

To permit the existence of "elder" communities (and amenties that cater to their needs), an exception is created in the state and Federal Fair Housing laws so that a property owner who wants to tailor his development to older people can do so without running afoul of the law by discriminating against people with children - usually younger couples.

There are two ways to do this. The entire development can be 65+, and no one underage is allowed. 100% of the units have be to occupied by persons 65 or older. This is the option taken when you want a real, 100% retirement community, no live-in kids, etc.

or

80% at 55 or older, the more flexible option. 80% of the units have to be occupied by at least ONE person who is older than 55, but younger people can live there too. The other 20% have no age restrictions.

Here is a link to the Florida law - it is more or less identical to its Federal counterpart:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

There are a variety of exceptions in the law - and just because it may also appear in HOA bylaws doesn't mean it's also not the law of the land. By the way, limitations that do not comport with this statute MAY be Fair Housing violations and should be reported to the appropriate authorities.

The reason some people may be getting inconsistent results is that some developments may need a 55+ renter to fulfill the 80% quota to avoid getting into trouble. Other developments may have unrestricted units within the 20% available.

No one should be "bending the rules" - the penalties for violating Fair Housing laws can be very harsh and expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida