Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 AM

16 posts, read 86,109 times

Advertisements

Sylarim...

I just pd. my homeowner's ins. for the year. It was just under $2200. House cost $405,000 a little over 1 year ago. The assessed value according to Orange County Tax Collector Home Page (tax collector) is about $350,000. The taxes were high our 1st yr- $6100. If you buy before JAN. you get the tax exemption for the next year so we didn't get exemption for that bill but this house will get it for 2007. That lowers it some. Plus they have been working on rolling back the Orange County tax. Not sure where that stands now. So basically, My escrow amount is $926/mo added to mortgage to cover the INS. & TAXES. Hope that gives you a little insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 03:32 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
my escrow for taxes and ins is less than 300/mo. my house was appraised at 300k

Old 06-06-2007, 07:04 PM

246 posts, read 1,018,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
Where do you live? How come so cheap?

Old 06-06-2007, 07:42 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,446,971 times
Hi Sylarim,

From reading your posts, there is more than one issue. The pressing one seems to be insurance.

Try looking into Tower Hill and Florida Family. Both are good insurance companies who are based out of FL and they are writing policies. I'd been recommending them and there have been some good outcomes. The rate should be comparable to what you had with Allstate, possibly better. Be sure not to overinsure - you need to insure for what you owe on your mortgage, and rebuilding costs also need to be addressed, but not above that. You'll need to tell the insurance company about your upgrades, etc., but don't overdo it (all the upgrades bring the rebuilding costs up and lead to a higher rate).

Secondly, look for leaks in your finances - are you overpaying for car insurance? Do you have car payments? Could you trade in your car for something less expensive? Are there 'extras' you can cut (cable tv, eating out...)? Be brutal with your outflow - watch every penny.

If after all of this you still find yourself in over your head and feel you must sell the house, consider getting an interest-only HELOC (Home Equity Line Of Credit) for some of the equity in your home. Shop carefully for the HELOC (I like Credit Unions for this) and only use it to keep the roof over your head while you put the house on the market (it will be called in once you sell the house...you'll need your remaining equity to repay whatever you have used).

I hope this helps you to see some other options, best of luck.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:10 PM

16 posts, read 86,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
yeah...where on Earth do your taxes and insurance together cost so little? plus the bank always over does the escrow to keep a certain % as a buffer. Maybe we should all move to your city.

Old 06-06-2007, 09:02 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
orlando, zipcode is 32828. it is a very desirable area, atleast to most in orlando. our mortgage (just principal) iss about $1,500 per mo. we bought a nice 3/2, financed about 240k at 6%, and with taxes and such, it is $1,700/mo. the bank we used doesnt require pmi but we do have to pay about 300 dollars quarterly for hoa. so i guess you could say our mortgage is $1,800/mo if you include the hoa fees, but they are paid seperately (quarterly).

for this area, i am very pleased with our purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida