Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 03:22 PM

8 posts, read 68,070 times

Advertisements

Thanks For Your Valued Input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2007, 04:02 PM

8 posts, read 68,070 times
Thanks For The Info!

Old 06-05-2007, 06:11 PM

165 posts, read 654,789 times
If it's a little to pricey for you .There our a few other 55 places in the area a little cheaper .And you can just drive down for the free nightly dancing and shopping

Old 06-05-2007, 06:15 PM

555 posts, read 2,204,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newteacher View Post
I am moving to Marion County to teach Elementary school ( just grad. from college in NJ). I heard that there is a very good school in this development. Does anyone know anything about it, or what the pay and benifits are like in relation to the public schools of Marion County?

You would have to check into the Lake County School board to teach at the schools in the villages which are located in Lake county.

Old 06-05-2007, 06:33 PM

157 posts, read 850,979 times
We just visited The Villages and plan to purchase there soon enough.
You should visit there (and other communities), you'd either love it or hate it,
here's our short take:
PRO:
1) being able to go to the town centers , grocery stores, banks , medical, etc in a golf cart is great!! don't underestimate that.
2) it's incredibly clean and well manicured, just beautiful
3) we liked that geographic area, far enough from the coast and hurricane landings, but close enough for day trips to either, plus Orlando, etc. Lovely rolling countryside
4) new home prices in particular were competitive, and you can get in for $150K at the lower end (2BR/2BA frame patio home), which isn't bad. We prefer the concrete block villas which run closer to $180,000 or so.
5) Free golf (we don't golf LOLOL)
6) great live entertainment nightly and good restaurants/shopping
7) There is a myriad of activities for everyone, you choose to do what you want, skip the rest
CON:
1) The homes are just a tad pricer than the surrounding communities for similar type homes (CBS)
2) This is a CDD community which means there is a county bond to be paid

PRO and CON:
1) It's a fairly big community , about 40K people and nearly going to double. It's like a small city. Some folks like that, some don't.

contact me if you'd like more info, good luck. We just felt the pro outweighed the con and we did visit quite a few other communities in central florida too.

Old 06-06-2007, 10:12 AM

183 posts, read 1,130,151 times
The schools are confusing me. As far as I know, the villages are located in both Marion and Sumter counties. But the schools are in Lake County? How big is this place? Plus, how is there a school if it is a 55 and over place? I am interviewing for a job with Marion County next week and I have to fly down for it. It that doesn't work out, I guess I'll look into it...

Old 06-06-2007, 10:16 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,081,899 times
Quote:
The schools are confusing me. As far as I know, the villages are located in both Marion and Sumter counties. But the schools are in Lake County? How big is this place? Plus, how is there a school if it is a 55 and over place? I am interviewing for a job with Marion County next week and I have to fly down for it. It that doesn't work out, I guess I'll look into it...
The majority of The Villages is in Lake County. Some newer parts are in Sumter. I'm not sure any part is in Marion County, but since it is a huge development, anything's possible!

Old 06-06-2007, 12:55 PM
LMB

405 posts, read 1,886,058 times
The Villages employ a large number of all age service employees, and they have families. That's why the need for a school, although I believe it's on the outskirts of town. There may be more than one, but that's all I saw when we visited with my mom a few years ago.

Old 06-06-2007, 03:12 PM

268 posts, read 887,269 times
I grew up in that area and now live in California but when I lived there about 4 years ago the Villages spilled into 3 different counties because of it's sheer size. So it's very possible for the schools to be in the Lake County portion of the community. It's enormous...

Quote:

Old 06-06-2007, 03:14 PM

268 posts, read 887,269 times
Oh, one more thing...not all the communities are 55+ in the Villages. There's sections that were being built for familes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah1979 View Post
I grew up in that area and now live in California but when I lived there about 4 years ago the Villages spilled into 3 different counties because of it's sheer size. So it's very possible for the schools to be in the Lake County portion of the community. It's enormous...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida