Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 12:32 PM

2 posts, read 14,258 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone on here living in the Niceville area that has moved from Alabama? I'm currently in a dead-end job, living with in-laws, going through bankruptcy, and soon after my husband is planning on us getting a divorce. I'm 26 with no kids and having to start all over. I am debating whether to just try to start over here in AL with all the familiarity and living within an hour of all family, in-laws, and friends...or to make a start somewhere like FL, far from everyone and everything I've known...a whole state's worth of "breathing room" if you know what I mean. So, I can focus on myself and what -I- want.

I have a friend who lives in Niceville (just recently moved there from Louisiana), but I want a broader view of things instead of just going by what she says. I know things probably won't be easy, but if I knew for sure I could make it on my own there...it's definitely a possibility that I'll make that move. I just want to get my facts straight. People here in AL say the cost of living is too much in FL, but my friend insists that there are affordable places to live in Niceville and that there are a lot of job openings there (although she has yet to find one because she gave up her car when she left her abusive husband). That's why I'm worried that she may not really know what the job market is like there. If there really are a lot of entry-level job opportunities and reasonably-priced rent, then Niceville might be the right move for me because the job market in Alabama is absolutely HORRIBLE right now. So, anyhow... Arab, AL vs. Niceville, FL

Any suggestions, comments, or advice are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 07:51 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,768,957 times
Niceville is a good place to live . Rent/housing is about average for the entire area , and the further inland you move the cheaper it becomes. As for entry level jobs...I think its slim pickins but you can check with www.nwfdailynews.com which has a Help Wanted section in its newspaper that covers Niceville and also there is a Niceville Chatroom available if you do a google search , as ive been on it . Most local entry level jobs are going to pay about $8-9 per hour . Im looking thru the Help Wanted section right now as i sit in Starbucks and most of the want ads are for men with experience ; thats not to say you wont find a job as a female however. There are also local job placement centers in the Okaloosa County and i think one of them is called Jobs Plus in Crestview, Fl...about 20 miles north that would cover the county. Do a google under job placement centers and youll probably find a couple right in Niceville. Fort Walton Beach is nearby and you may be able to get into factory work there as theres a fair amount of industrial companies located there. Theres not much industry in Niceville...basically local retail shops, a few restaurants, etc... Checking the local papers for Ft. Walton Beach will net you a much greater chance of securing a job than in Niceville. Anyway, i hope that will get you going in the right direction . Sorry to hear of your family situation and if you can get marital counselling to try desperately to save your marriage and family life, that is going to be the best .

Old 03-22-2010, 07:56 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,126,178 times
It's nice.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:00 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
It will be very hard to pay rent and utilities while working an entry level job. What kind of work experience do you have? The job situation is pretty much the same everywhere right now, but you may have better luck looking in Pensacola or Mobile.

Culturally, the FL panhandle is not very much different from AL (except maybe the transplants near th coast). I live right on the AL-FL state line and the only thing more expensive in FL is the property taxes and vehicle tags, although there is no state income tax in FL.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
The job industry in the bigger area is a classic hourglass- lots of service industry jobs (which can pay surprisingly well if you're a good retail or chain restaurant manager or get on as a server at a more expensive restaurant- The general managers at Carraba's, Outback Steakhouse, and Bonefish Grill can make $100K/year, and Department Manager at Publix Grocery starts in the $40K range with good benefits) and lots of high tech job positions, but entry level white collar to middle management is firecly competitive unless you've got personal connections to the right longtime locals. We recently had a posting for an entry level marketing position where I work- excellent benefits but still only about $24K/year salary. They got something like 60 applicants for the job.

A car is pretty much essential for work purposes since the public transportation system is essentially for decorative purposes only. Housing south of I-10 is expensive to buy (It's essentially the third most expensive housing market in the state after Naples and West Palm Beach because the military owns 95% of the land south of I-10) but rents are generally pretty reasonable.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:46 PM

6 posts, read 29,183 times
There is a lot of good information on this site about Niceville. I'm thinking of relocating there myself. I'm 27 with an almost 8 year old son and we currently live in Naples. We want to move there to be closer to our family in Louisiana. Sorry to hear about your troubles and I hope things work out for you. From what I hear, the people are nice in Niceville (lol), and as far as jobs, until the economy picks up again, theres not much available, at least as far as my research has found. But I agree with the other post, google a local newspaper and just keep checking it...you never know!

Old 06-23-2010, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 12,672 times
We are currently moving to Florida from the midwest. We have really researched the Niceville area and feel like it would be a good fit for our family. We have 3 young children. Low crime and good schools are important to us. What about Clearwater or Sarasota? Further down the coast-

Old 06-23-2010, 11:22 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
What's the job situation for your family?

Old 07-10-2010, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 12,563 times
[FONT=Verdana]Come join us in Florida we would love to have you. I am a Realtor in Niceville Florida. I have lived her for over 20 years, there is plenty to offer and our economy is growing everyday. Okaloosa County is expected to see 90% growth rate within the next 10 years. 2011 will bring Niceville a Brand new Wal-Mart Center and possibly a Home Depot. We are just north of Destin Florida and the beautiful white beaches and plenty of shopping. Surrounded by Eglin AFB, Hurlburt Field and Duke. We are Big! but a small nit community with sunny days and quiet nights.[/FONT]

Last edited by doggiebus; 07-10-2010 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Advertising Not Allowed

Old 10-04-2010, 05:57 AM

130 posts, read 265,296 times
Stay away from Clearwater and Sarasota! The panhandle is a much nicer part of Florida. I have lived in the Tampa area and the Panhandle and I have to tell you that the panhandle is where you want to be. The panhandle is a great place to raise children. The schools in Central Florida are not the best! Tallahassee is a very nice area in the Panhandle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida