Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times

Advertisements

While I don't share Funnyman's sentiment - I say go for it too - 33k in DC isn't getting you nice food either - What do you do that you have a Masters and only make 33K? I'm just wondering. You are right about politics in DC, if you are not in it - why are you there thing. That being said - it is a really tough job market in Florida and I have found that everything in Florida in very specialized. You are pinholed to a point - if you are a Corporate Paralegal - you can not deviate to Litigation. To me it is a bit strange, but it is how things work there. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 09:35 AM

168 posts, read 424,809 times
I work right now in college athletics but I have degrees in education. In this field, salaries are notoriously low and there really isn't much of a light at the end of the tunnel unless you somehow get a big position at a big university. I did at one time have a job offered to me to be a middle school teacher in FL but turned it down to pursue this. After a few years in this field, I have decided I would rather become a teacher. In this field you can't choose where you get to live as you have limited opportunities for any job. Problem is only NCLB subjects are being hired in pretty much the whole country (well, the relevant states that have more than 6 people living in them). I am going to take the Florida certification test to add a Biology subject coverage to my Florida license.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:21 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
I can tell you all over the country they will hire Math and Science teachers as most of the schools need them..my cousin is a math hs teacher up in NY state and her fiance is a Science teacher HS as well and she always says that they can find jobs anywhere, its just a matter of how much will they make...it seems there is always a shortage in these subjects....good luck to you

Old 03-24-2010, 05:03 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,801,312 times
Try this forum for teachers. Florida Teachers.Net - The Florida Teacher Website! Teacher chatboards & teacher chat rooms, lesson plans and teaching tools, teacher job listings and career resources, reference desk and curriculum tools, everything for the on-line teacher!

I hear that there are many unemployed science and math teachers now, but who knows?

Florida has a very strict class size amendment that was voted in years ago. This year is a critical juncture because this fall is the school year when the limits are to be applied to each individual class. The limit numbers are currently calculated on a school wide basis, so you could have a special ed class with 5 kids and a science class with 35 and it all averages out. This fall, you will have a hard cap on that science class. There is talk about cutting other teachers like art, PE, guidance counselors, etc to free up money to pay for the smaller core subject class sizes. There is also talk of putting the issue back on the ballot for voters but that can't happen until November. Meanwhile, districts have to meet the requirements come August when school starts.

You need to read up on this for sure. I'm worried that they will hire a lot of teachers and then voters will speak in November to delay the hard caps. Then a lot of those new teachers could be cut. You also need to read up on FL's proposed merit pay plan. Follow all of this on the Orlando Sentinel newspaper's website. There is a tab for "Education" which has a lot of info.

Central Florida Schools: Orlando and Central Florida school and education news - OrlandoSentinel.com

Oh and I'm sure you will notice the sky high fees to take teacher certification tests these days in FL. They jacked those from like $70 to $200. It will cost me $200 just to add a subject if I want to. My husband and I both taught in FL but we moved to GA in 2006. We are on track to move back to FL this summer but I'm really scared about the job situation. I do think things here in GA are even worse, though. We had massive layoffs, pay cuts, and furlough days this year. We are talking 15% pay cuts for next year. (2 furlough weeks for teachers vs. the 6 we had this year) Kids would also stay home a full week for 5 of those furlough days! Can you imagine just shutting school down for a week statewide because we don't have the money? That's what the GA legislature is proposing.
You need to keep in mind that next summer is the "stimulus funding cliff" that we hear about. The federal stimulus money runs out and that money is really keeping our schools limping along right now. I'm worried about that too. We might get a job for next school year, only to be cut in the spring when the money dries up! (but then again, how much can they cut in FL if you still have the class size amendment?)

Good luck in your move to FL. Also, many districts have open positions throughout the year, so you might find something in say November or February. Keep in mind that first hired = first cut, so new teachers will always be on the chopping block. If you start mid-year, that would really put you on top of the list. You might find a long term sub position and use that to segway into the classroom also. Competition will be stiff because many states are laying off teachers and the colleges are still churning out education graduates.

I get the impression that you are a male, so that might help you somehow. I hope we both make it down to FL this year!

Last edited by MovedfromFL; 03-24-2010 at 05:13 PM..

Old 03-25-2010, 05:23 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,105 times
I moved here about 10 months ago... I am from the DC/Metro area as well so I feel your pain... I am a software developer for a defense contractor and my company had no issues hiring me from MD... They gave me plenty of time to get moved down here and were very accommodating... Who knows maybe you can find that too? Unfortunately it doesn't seem as if teachers are doing so well anywhere right now...

Good luck to you

Old 03-25-2010, 11:04 AM

320 posts, read 1,130,062 times
Accounting

Moved here in April 2009 due to my fiance finding a job in March 2009 here (she works for a laboratory). It took me a while to land a full time gig, which I finally did in December 2009.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicken Wing View Post
Accounting

Moved here in April 2009 due to my fiance finding a job in March 2009 here (she works for a laboratory). It took me a while to land a full time gig, which I finally did in December 2009.
What are you doing? are you in AR/AP a controller or what? I'm interested in know what the pay is for accounting.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:18 AM

335 posts, read 939,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
What are you doing? are you in AR/AP a controller or what? I'm interested in know what the pay is for accounting.
I have a few friends in accounting. I think their titles are "Staff Accountant" but with two different employers. One has a Bachelors degree, will sit for the CPA sometime within a year and has a current salary in the 33k area. Another has no degree but over 25 years of experience and makes about $45-$48k.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:33 AM

Oh - okay - Jeesh - florida really needs to up their salaries dramatically!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: