Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 08:40 AM

566 posts, read 2,052,473 times

Advertisements

We have lots of them down here... It's like catrick says, that they won't jump & attack you or anything - they are harmless to humans. I walk past them all the time, and sometimes I'm sitting in my yard at night & they jump next to me and they sit there serenating w/their somewhat annoying sound, going "KWAK, kwak..!!" & it's like nothing. A few nights ago, I was at my neighbors pool talking late at night & the ficus' starting moving.... & out came the bufo's. They didn't get into the pool or anything. We just kept on talking like nothing & they kept their distance on the lawn - it was no big deal to us, as they have become part of the landscape. Most of these animals are more afraid of us. I don't use poisons at all, not even on my lawn cause this leads to a chain of poisonings, if there is a poisoned frog, snail or any insect...a bird or fox comes and eats it and then we start killing more & more wildlife, needless to say poisons seep into our water supply. Some people even put poison to kill caterpillars which ultimately what they are doing is killing our butterflies. Then a bird comes and eats this poisoned caterpillar & then we poison our birds and it goes on & on... Anyway, I think it's just learning to live amongst them & just proceed with caution - eventually, it becomes 2nd nature.
However, I must say I've seen many pet owners losing their dogs to them, especially the ones that keep their dogs out in the yard or aren't vigilant during their doggie walks. Dogs will be dogs & love to sniff-sniff and are curious when they encounter this rubbery jumping thing. When they see one they'll start licking 'em, pawing 'em & if they bite one...well, take them to the vet quickly, cause one never knows. These bufo's are easy to distinguish from other frogs - they are bigger than other frogs here. I think they are an introduced species but have adapted to our tropical climate quite well. In a sitting mode they are about 8-10in. tall, have spots on them, some warty ones & have these small pouches on the sides of their heads which is where the poison is concentrated. Toads are different...they are much smaller/flatter & the ones that jump on walls & stuff . They have a pleasant sort of chirping sound at night, especially when it rains or one waters the lawn. These are harmless...

Last edited by lulu; 08-04-2006 at 08:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2006, 08:53 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,557,536 times
Default yup red fox..

One was in the yard about a year ago. I think it was red...?

Kitty is around once in a while...

Old 08-04-2006, 09:00 AM

This may sound like a dumb question since it's another type of feline...but can they mate w/ our domestic cats??

Old 08-04-2006, 11:21 AM

421 posts, read 465,825 times
Default Critters

We live right in the middle of a wild life preserve...we have Foxes, jaguars, bob cats, armadillas, raccons, otters, wild boar, and beautiful cranes, and big turtles.

Old 08-04-2006, 11:38 AM

Exclamation I hope the bobcats don't start doing that!!!

Lulu, that is a good question. I was outside the other night with my dog and I saw a huge cat... "oh my, let's not go close to that" I said to my dog.
I thought it was a bobcat. After standing there for a while, I noticed it had a tail. It turned out to be a neighborhood cat. The calmest cat around!
But boy she was big. If it was a bobcat it could have ripped apart my little dog. (I don't know if it would have done that, but I wasn't taking a chance)
I think the bobcats are more afraid of us...I dunno!~
I just hope they don't mate with the domestic cats, but ya never know.

Old 08-04-2006, 03:36 PM

Hmmm...maybe it was a mixed feline. I'll have to do research & see if this is possible. Well as long as nothing happens to fluffy, I sure hope they at least have a good time or something.
Wow just think, rainbowwaves has jaguars - those are some beautiful animals. All my life I've heard about them & FL bears, too. My mom's friend in Ocala said that she heard there are are jaguars up there. She hasn't seen any but maybe it's by the forest or something. I know that in past history these native animals were all over Florida, from top to bottom. I've always wondered where they had wandered to or if they had all become extinct or something. Anyhow, all we have left in S.FL are truly harmless. Even the racoons that I saw as a kid, forget it... I haven't seen one in over 15 yrs. Though, I hear they are further south than me, like in the Homestead area. Yeah, and most of 'em are more afraid of us than anything. The foxes around here are like jokesters. When I walk my dog, I have this special call for them & all of the sudden you see these glowing eyes (Just like cats, cause they are nocturnal, but their pupils are different) from behind or above the trees. So, I just keep walking and sometimes I have one following me (they are curious) & when I turn around and face them well...they start to move backwards, whew..they are fast, Like the saying goes...'sly as a fox'. But I really enjoy them - truly comical & harmless, at least the ones down here thanks to the rabies control. My dog likes them, too. Maybe cause they are canines?? Who knows... well, luckily I had my girl spayed, just in case they'd want to wander off into the night or something .

Old 08-04-2006, 03:50 PM

I never heard of the two mating. But if you see a really large cat, ya never know.
We have jaguars too at the Babcock Ranch. Its being sold now and homes are going in. Oh well, I hope the jaguars aren't misplaced. They are truly beautiful creatures.

Old 08-04-2006, 10:05 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,775,447 times
Of course there are Jaguars down here - all over Aventura! sorry...couldn't resist

But seriously...lulu that's odd that we're in the same city yet I have never seen a fox but have seen MANY racoons! (You did say you hadn't seen a racoon in 15 years, no? Or did I misunderstand something...?

Also lulu -
THANK YOU for not using poisons!!!!!!
I TOTALLY agree with you!!! We need to live in harmony with everything that we coexist with! I just posted in fact in the WI section (?!?! That's how you KNOW you're addicted... ) in a thread about gun laws & feral cats. (?!) I believe the connection there was that the state was considering shooting (yes shooting!!! ) the feral cats because they have a big problem there. (So they say) They finally locked the thread because it turned into a hunting debate type thing but it was quite interesting so ya'll might wanna take a look.
But yeah, the post was about coexisting.

You all are lucky to see so much wild life! Don't get me wrong - I too am lucky to see tons of those sweet anoles, geckos, froggys & insects galore! (they're quite fascinating!) But for wildlife other than racoons, possoms & I swear I remember an armadillo (?), we go to Lion Country Safari! Been there twice! I love that place! I got to feed a giraffe & pet a bunch of sheep! They're SOOOOOOOO cute!!! Also fed tons of koi & sea turtles! And they have one of those HUGE tortoises!
Ok-I won't list every animal! If you haven't been there, GO!

Old 08-06-2006, 07:42 AM

That was good...the part about having Jaguar's in Aventura, ha, ha... Guess I missed a couple of 'em around my house too...hee, hee...

I'm totally serious, I have not seen a racoon in a long, long time...and we do have gray foxes here - they are out and about when everything is quiet & totally dark - usually after 11pm or after midnight. I don't know where you actually live in Miami, though I'm in Coral Gables and my city has tons of trees where the foxes live. One has to have a keen eye cause just a few feet away they look like cats at night- though, they have taller legs, are slimmer, small pointy ears, a bushy tail that drags downwards & the gait gives it away. If you are curious call the "City of Coral Gables" & they'll tell you we have foxes. The web has photos of them, too.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,661 times
I hear talk about jaguar's and bears...where in Florida are they??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida