Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 02:58 PM

640 posts, read 3,065,935 times

Advertisements

Do what the rest of us do, hire an exterminator to come out once a year! It really takes care of any critters getting into your house. Having the pool screens are awesome. You can sit outside on a warm summer's night and not worry about any bugs. We have a "doggie door" for our cats, they LOVE being outside and we don't have to worry about them getting out. Downside, they catch lizards and bring them into the house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 07:28 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,556,865 times
I used to have the exterminator come every three months but now that we are selling, I haven't called him back. I have been doing the spraying myself.

Old 08-11-2006, 11:50 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,775,034 times
Guys! Come now! Lets have a little respect for our fellow creatures here! Sheesh!

P.S. Spraying pesticides is bad for the enviornment!

Old 08-14-2006, 07:54 PM

66 posts, read 346,044 times
well i don't think you need to worry i live in winter garden and i have ascreened patio i have the man spray and were fine . were getting a big new mall your gonna be fine here . enjoy yourself

Old 08-15-2006, 07:41 AM

99 posts, read 552,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baily
well i don't think you need to worry i live in winter garden and i have ascreened patio i have the man spray and were fine . were getting a big new mall your gonna be fine here . enjoy yourself
Thanks for the input.

Another thing about new developments is that it disrupts the natural habitat of many animals in the region. For a few months we should expect to see animals wandering around looking for food/shelter. This is what happened in our new home in California many years ago.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:48 PM

34 posts, read 135,541 times
My dog tried to eat on of those toads!!! OMG it does some serious damage to the poor things!!! They are HUGE for those of you wondering what they were. They make a ton of noise at night. We had them at the apartment we lived at a few years ago. They were always sitting by the pool at night (I have only seen them at night to be honest w/you!) I seen some trick or treating one year also. But again at night.

It was horrid though, My dog was foaming at the mouth and eventually was stiff as a board, you can tell RIGHT away something is wrong. I called the doctor immediatly and he said to wash his mouth out and bring him right in. We did, and thankfully $800.00 later he was okay!

They don't hurt humans, but keep your pets away.

As for the bugs, you can put pestasides on the grass, and is highly recommended w/children. We have a major red ant problem here. One of my friends moved here and had never heard of them, Her daughter sat in a mound She looked HORRIBLE!!!! Poor thing.

We have gigantic roaches to!!!! They are like bugs on steroids! They call them palmetto bugs??? But to us northern born humans they fit the roach family quite well. They are the most disgusting bugs I have ever seen! UGH!!!!!! Thank goodness for pest control. You do kinda get use to the bugs, (except the huge roaches. these make everyone cringe!!!) Thankfully I personally don't see them often at all, when I do I remember to call the pest control.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:36 AM

421 posts, read 465,703 times
Default roaches

the closer you are to water, the bigger the roach..they're called river roaches.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:41 PM

10 posts, read 62,007 times
Mosquitos are pretty damn bad. Anywhere near still water- sloughs or strands they get thick enough to choke you. But the Sand Gnats or Noseeums are worse in my opinion- more likely to run into them in mud flats, low bays and coastal areas.
But I cant see them as being any worse than the black flies that swarm in clouds up in New England.
Palmetto bugs get pretty big, but theyll usually be no problem if you keep the house perimeter sprayed. Many nights camping as a kid i hat those gargantuan suckers crawl on me. lol.
Dont forget the scorpions in the flatwoods, we'd get those buggers under firewood all the time.

Biggest evil effing bug i ever dealt with has to be the fireants. Hate them so much... Ill stick a lit cigarette in a fireant bed upright just to watch them walk up and try to bite the cherry in a self-immolating death march.

oh yea, dont forget Killer Bees, Yellow Jackets, Assassin Bugs, deer ticks, fleas from hell, horseflies, blow flies, chiggers, chinch bugs, kamikaze june bugs, seasonal love bug car cleanup, wolf spiders from hell, jumping spiders, termites and carpenter ants.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:24 PM

190 posts, read 761,774 times
Has anybody mentioned the scorpions, I have heard a number of stories about those buggers and their stingers. I know they are in the area of newer homes but not sure if they are seen much in the city. Anyone know?

Old 06-06-2008, 09:04 AM

10 posts, read 62,007 times
Im no entymologist, but ive seen scorpions around rotting wood alot. To be specific- the only time i ran into them is under the bark of old pine trees that had been felled for firewood. Not in any way dangerous, just hurt like hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida