U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 01:31 PM

10 posts, read 30,388 times

Advertisements

Hello! I just joined this forum, because I am researching the possibility of relocating from Central SW FL to somewhere *near* but NOT *IN* Gainesville, FL.

From what research I have done...Waldo, FL *looks* to be the place that suits me, my needs, & *expectations* for the type of community I'm looking to settle into, and spend the remaining years of my life...in the peace, quiet, & relaxing solitude of a small *rural* community.

I am planning to take a *mini~vacation* in mid~July, to scope out the potential *prospects* of various areas around Gainesville to see what there is to offer in each community BEFORE making the final decision on my actual location of my relocation plans.

I am a partially disabled senior lady on a low *fixed* income, and what I am mainly looking FOR is to locate a small piece of land (1/2 to 1 acre) with a small house or mobile home that I can *rent to own* or that has owner financing. MINOR repairs or cosmetic *fixer upper* is acceptable, as long as there are no *MAJOR* 'in-depth' expenses required.

I am also looking for a *small* Country *church family* to join for my spiritual needs, as well. A church *home* where I am know by my name, and NOT just as a *face* in a HUGE crowd.

If there is anyone reading this thread that has any *positive* information that might aid me in my research for Waldo (or other neighboring communities), please email me.

Thank you!

Betty2
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 03:34 PM

54 posts, read 302,212 times
any *positive* information

Drive speed limit or less while on 301 around Waldo until you have a local plate.
Waldo is known worldwide as the speed trap of florida, nice quiet community with tickets paying for all law enforcement costs.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:07 PM
SKB

900 posts, read 3,336,693 times
Where's Waldo?

Old 06-07-2007, 04:22 PM

8,200 posts, read 33,910,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty2 View Post

I am a partially disabled senior lady on a low *fixed* income, and what I am mainly looking FOR is to locate a small piece of land (1/2 to 1 acre) with a small house or mobile home...
Have you ever visited Waldo? It is very, very rural - there is little to nothing there. It is certainly far enough away from Gainesville to not be 'in' Gainesville.

Won't you need some nearby resources if you are partially disabled? Can you get around okay (driving)? You'd be dependent on yourself to get everywhere and may have to drive long distances to find a grocery store, doctor, etc.

Just a thought.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:27 PM

2,841 posts, read 7,233,572 times
Waldo has always seemed to be a good o'l boys town.No stores etc.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:30 PM

16,390 posts, read 35,362,817 times
I consider Waldo to be one of the most undesirable places in Florida - very ugly and run-down. I would really rethink where you want to be. How about Micanopy - that is a beautiful small town right near Gainesville.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:44 PM

54 posts, read 302,212 times
List the positives, is what she asked for.
Farm and swamp land, not necessarily positive to someone who needs services.
If you don't mind the twenty minutes drive to G'ville for all shopping and county services, it's quiet rural.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:53 PM

942 posts, read 1,222,768 times
Waldo made it on to the AAA list as places to avoid driving thru, no matter what speed you were doing they would stop you. A segment on the 60 minutes show was then done on Waldo Fla, and they asked them flat out, if all the stopping of cars especially out of state cars was being done to generate revenue for the town. The policeman said no, either or, it did not look like much of a town, seemed very small with not much of anything there. If you really want to live there, I am sure you have your reasons, but you should really take a close look and see if the mindset or the things you need in life are there for you. There are so many places to choose from, just choose wisely.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:44 PM

10 posts, read 30,388 times
Wink My relocation plan to Waldo...

Thanks EVERYone for all input!

For the reply that asked WHERE Waldo is...it is in the NE part of Alachua County, as stated...some 20 miles away from *everything*!

For the other replies...I am planning a trip to Gainesville in mid-July, to scope out the *potentials* for my relocation to that area...my choice for Waldo is primarily based on research I have done so far, but final decision will depend on my findings when I SEE it for myself! I just might find some other community I like better...who knows???

I was born *RURAL* over 50 years ago, it's part of my *roots*, it's what I like, and what I want...my *hometown* is Arcadia, FL. Arcadia, at one time WAS *AS rural* as you could get, with NOTHING but orange groves & cow pastures...but, over the past 15 - 20 years, Arcadia has lost it's *charm* by 'so-called' *progress*! It isn't *home* anymore!

Yes! I am *partially* disabled with *limitations*, but totally independent & self mobile. I am currently driving a Taxi for a living, and have held a *Safe Driver* FL license for over 40 years, and I HAVE *personalized* FL tags!

I don't mind the 20 mile trips to Doctors, shopping, etc...it provides a nice *change* of pace to life once in a while! You know the saying..."It's a nice place to visit, but, I wouldn't want to *live* there"??? That is my *motto* for big cities like Gainesville, and other places like Dixie County...a small neighboring County in *fairly* close proximity to Gainesville, also!

So, if anyone would kindly keep an eye out for *possible* rent-to-own or owner financing property as I described in my thread starter, and post the contact info...it would be GREATLY appreciated to HAVE the info when I make my trip next month!

Thanks again for ALL input!

Betty2

Old 06-07-2007, 09:10 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,780,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty2 View Post
Thanks EVERYone for all input!

For the reply that asked WHERE Waldo is...it is in the NE part of Alachua County, as stated...some 20 miles away from *everything*!

For the other replies...I am planning a trip to Gainesville in mid-July, to scope out the *potentials* for my relocation to that area...my choice for Waldo is primarily based on research I have done so far, but final decision will depend on my findings when I SEE it for myself! I just might find some other community I like better...who knows???

I was born *RURAL* over 50 years ago, it's part of my *roots*, it's what I like, and what I want...my *hometown* is Arcadia, FL. Arcadia, at one time WAS *AS rural* as you could get, with NOTHING but orange groves & cow pastures...but, over the past 15 - 20 years, Arcadia has lost it's *charm* by 'so-called' *progress*! It isn't *home* anymore!

Yes! I am *partially* disabled with *limitations*, but totally independent & self mobile. I am currently driving a Taxi for a living, and have held a *Safe Driver* FL license for over 40 years, and I HAVE *personalized* FL tags!

I don't mind the 20 mile trips to Doctors, shopping, etc...it provides a nice *change* of pace to life once in a while! You know the saying..."It's a nice place to visit, but, I wouldn't want to *live* there"??? That is my *motto* for big cities like Gainesville, and other places like Dixie County...a small neighboring County in *fairly* close proximity to Gainesville, also!

So, if anyone would kindly keep an eye out for *possible* rent-to-own or owner financing property as I described in my thread starter, and post the contact info...it would be GREATLY appreciated to HAVE the info when I make my trip next month!

Thanks again for ALL input!

Betty2
I think you should do a little more research. Check out the crime numbers. Wow, they are about the same as Miami.

Moderator cut: link removed

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 04:55 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida