Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 09:11 PM

5 posts, read 9,051 times

Advertisements

Hi all

My wife and I (professional, upper 20s, no kids) currently live in Minneapolis and she has been offered a very promising position within her company at their office in downtown Miami. She may have the opportunity to work from home part of the week. I have the possible opportunity of relocating within my company. The closest I can get to Miami is West Palm Beach (I believe the office is between I95 and the NE corner of the airport). I was born and raised in Minnesota and she in Venezuela. We have little experience with Florida (other than layovers in the Miami airport and Disneyworld) and are feeling a bit overwhelmed with the logistics of this potential relocation.

We are looking for advice on places to live at either end or in between. We would like to rent to start out with (somewhere between 1000-1500/month) so we can get a feel for the area before we make any decisions on buying.

The biggest factor at this point would be commute time. Currently we both enjoy commutes of less than 15 minutes by car and I often bike to the office during the warmer months (I know this will be darn near impossible to replicate for both of us given the distance between our offices).

Other amenities we are looking for in the short term would be close proximity to the beach and parks. Neighborhoods with folks in our age range and some character would also be desirable. We definitely prefer older, walkable neighborhoods with shops and nightlife nearby to the suburban, strip mall, car-centric scene.

If anyone has any ideas for us to start getting a handle on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

PS I've also posted this in the WPB forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 06:08 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
Hi DJ - I made the reverse move last year (SFL to MN). The commute is going to be pretty bad. I lived north of Miami and worked south of West Palm and it took me an hour and a half commute each way. Its going to be a very big change for you - I would really, really consider quality of life in making the decision - if you decide to go forward, somewhere you should consider is Delray - but the commute for your wife may be almost 2 hours - you could also consider Ft Ldle beach - which should give you each about 1.5-1.75 each way or Aventura - which would give your wife about 45minutes and you about 1.5 or more.

Email me if you wish.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:45 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,455,683 times
Moved to Florida so you can get info from the other two counties.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:27 AM

470 posts, read 1,193,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_emerald View Post
Hi all

My wife and I (professional, upper 20s, no kids) currently live in Minneapolis and she has been offered a very promising position within her company at their office in downtown Miami. She may have the opportunity to work from home part of the week. I have the possible opportunity of relocating within my company. The closest I can get to Miami is West Palm Beach (I believe the office is between I95 and the NE corner of the airport). I was born and raised in Minnesota and she in Venezuela. We have little experience with Florida (other than layovers in the Miami airport and Disneyworld) and are feeling a bit overwhelmed with the logistics of this potential relocation.

We are looking for advice on places to live at either end or in between. We would like to rent to start out with (somewhere between 1000-1500/month) so we can get a feel for the area before we make any decisions on buying.

The biggest factor at this point would be commute time. Currently we both enjoy commutes of less than 15 minutes by car and I often bike to the office during the warmer months (I know this will be darn near impossible to replicate for both of us given the distance between our offices).

Other amenities we are looking for in the short term would be close proximity to the beach and parks. Neighborhoods with folks in our age range and some character would also be desirable. We definitely prefer older, walkable neighborhoods with shops and nightlife nearby to the suburban, strip mall, car-centric scene.

If anyone has any ideas for us to start getting a handle on this it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

PS I've also posted this in the WPB forum.
Commute: Obviously Miami, it's going to be hell to drive from anywhere north of Miami to Miami...TRUST ME.

Beach: The best beaches in South Florida are in Miami.

Parks: The Miami area (Miami-Dade County) is the only place in South Florida that has actual parks. So, obviously, Miami.

People your age: Without a doubt, Miami.

Walkable: In South Florida, only in Miami

Shops: Againt, without a doubt, Miami. Besides having the best shops in South Florida, Miami also has some of the best shops in the world, and many only found in Miami.

Nightlife: Really no need for me to say, but OBVIOUSLY, WITHOUT A DOUBT, Miami. No argument there.

(and there isn't any argument about the other things either )

Suburban: Pretty much every city outside Miami and Miami Beach in Miami-Dade County are suburban and have all the suburban characteristics.

Without a doubt go with Miami.

Old 04-17-2010, 07:34 AM

191 posts, read 632,772 times
One way or another one of you will have to commute. I'd go with WPB if she can work from home. Miami is way to overcrowded and the crime is ridicolous year in and out. And Miami beaches are not the best beaches in FL. Sarasota has a much nicer beach in Siesta Keys..

Old 04-24-2010, 09:35 AM

109 posts, read 439,915 times
As far as beaches go,once you get to the Del Ray Boca area the Gukf Stream swings in toward the coast and the water is crystal clear. When I was in Vero, we had to go 12 miles out to hit the Gulf. So beaches are great the farther south you go. Miami is as Metro as you can get but I my son lived downtown Mineepolis and more recently North Minneapolis as he is a music artist and his life is centered around clubs and ride a bike anywhere. Being from Minnesota I believe the cultural shock of Miami would be too stressful on your marriage plus the commute time. The Lauredal areas are a possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida