Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:47 PM

719 posts, read 1,332,861 times

Advertisements

Basically, do you think the Orlando Metro Area or Tampa Metro Area could one day over develop like South Florida, and be home to an enormous Caribbean/S. American/ Latin American population? A popultion where Spanish/Creole/Patios is widespread, and in some areas the main language to communicate? Do you think, The Central Florida region could become a region where many areas are rundown (meaninig people don't take pride in their homes, cars in parked yards, bad schools, etc...) and polluted, and 1-2 blocks away are Upper class/ Middle Class homes and schools.

I would like any inputs on this question. Be as descriptive as you want. I am moving to FL in August, and although I have made up my mind, I for one feel that Central FL will evetually mimic it's Southern city Miami in many ways...Answers from Native Floridians would be great, or even people who have moved down to Orlando/Tampa in the last 2-3yrs.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 05:21 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Unfortunately Orlando already transformed in what you describe...when We moved to Orlando in 2003 from Fort Lauderdale to "escape" that, it was nice, then within 4 years Kissimmee, Poinciana OVER developed at a very FAST pace and then all that migrated north...crime increased like you wouldn't believe and if you happened to step into a Publix somewhere by 528 (toll road) or 417, the rudeness of people at checkout was shocking! we literally got pushed over by a "lady" so she can get in front of us in line! could NOT understand why that was necessary....Let me put it this way...I would NOT recommend my enemies to move to Orlando!

Old 04-06-2010, 05:24 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,333,337 times
The I-4 corridor from Daytona to Tampa will likely develop as a megapolitan area, much like the I-95 corridor from West Palm Beach to Miami. Whether or not that will be populated by Latin Americans or by Michigan refugees is yet to be seen.

For your perusal:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megapolitan_Area

Megaregion Florida: Home to the Next 18 Million Residents — The Planning Commission

WUSF: Polk Seeks Inclusion in "Mega" Region (2008-08-07)

Florida - America 2050

http://www.tampabay.org/documents/Ro...esentation.pdf

Old 04-06-2010, 05:46 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,693,879 times
I think developers learned from miamis mistakes. Central FL isn't like Miami right now, I think developers are smart enough to not repeat it. all the new developments and future planed developments in the area look fortunately nothing like Miami. The development from the 70s-90s was like south FLs. Developers in the area are really cracking down on "smart growth" and urban development. I do see the I-4 corridor from daytona to Tampa becoming a megaregion though. Plus South FLs development is based on the ocean, it's basically a thin strip of land along the ocean and every big city is along the ocean. Central FLs developement is centered around actual urban centers with room to develope more efficiently.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:14 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
You already need to speak spanish in the Tampa area.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Interesting

Old 04-06-2010, 06:24 PM

Just to throw this out, NO WAY is this a post of me saying Latinos/S. Americans or Caribbeans will create rundown areas. lol... Those are 2 separate things I am asking about that are just in the same post... I don't want an argument like in the Orlando Thread from a couple individuals who assumed that is what I meant, becuase it's not.. Thanks Again for any future responses.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
Um, just to clarify NO YOU DO NOT need to speak Spanish in Tampa! I am actually of Spanish heritage, born in Tampa but I never learned because my mother was not Spanish-speaking. Lived there all my life up until 28 years old, now my husband works there (for 20 years), in an office filled with people from all over the world. YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPEAK SPANISH! I wish people would quit perpetuating that myth. Tampa is in NO WAY like Miami, or south Florida in that regard. Of course, it is an advantage if you do, I wish I had become fluent in the language.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
About 98% of all advertised jobs ask for "bilingual in Spanish" and add that is PREFERRED in their descriptions! so, for those non speakers, this is an obstacle...as an employer will choose over you and pick the one that does speaks it.

Of course you don't "need" to speak it, this is the US after all where English is supposedly the "official" language (still), however in Florida (anywhere) you will be passed on in a LOT of cases if you don't speak Spanish and you'll have a harder time finding a job.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Um, just to clarify NO YOU DO NOT need to speak Spanish in Tampa! I am actually of Spanish heritage, born in Tampa but I never learned because my mother was not Spanish-speaking. Lived there all my life up until 28 years old, now my husband works there (for 20 years), in an office filled with people from all over the world. YOU DO NOT NEED TO SPEAK SPANISH! I wish people would quit perpetuating that myth. Tampa is in NO WAY like Miami, or south Florida in that regard. Of course, it is an advantage if you do, I wish I had become fluent in the language.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:16 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times
Preferred doesn't mean essential. Ads state when it is essential and then sometimes it's not really.
My husband got a very senior/managerial position in an organization that caters to mostly spanish speaking and often non english speaking clients. They had spanish required, but his other qualifications compensated for that over every other applicant, and this was not a low grade position.
The question about over development, well I think in good times the state will grow again, but only if the conditions are right - employment, education, infrastructure - right now there is plenty of unused 'development' in our area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida