Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 10:37 PM

5 posts, read 21,512 times

Advertisements

I am planning a move to the Daytona / Ormond Beach / Port Orange or New Smyrna areas with my girlfriend. She is a violin teacher and would be teaching from home. We are aware that a Class A home occupation permit is required. Since we would be renting a house, I am somewhat curious how we can avoid problems in obtaining this. Can anyone provide any idea how difficult this may be? We are a bit scared
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 07:24 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_pa2ut View Post
I am planning a move to the Daytona / Ormond Beach / Port Orange or New Smyrna areas with my girlfriend. She is a violin teacher and would be teaching from home. We are aware that a Class A home occupation permit is required. Since we would be renting a house, I am somewhat curious how we can avoid problems in obtaining this. Can anyone provide any idea how difficult this may be? We are a bit scared
If you check it requires a county and city license. They call it a business tax The specifics are determined by the city. I have a home license in Broward county and I think the requirements are probably about the same. You usually can't have customers come to the home or have employees. They are mostly for home offices or just a place to hang the license such as for a writer or photographer.

Here is the deal though and I don't want any flaming. Generally if you ask about something you may hear a "NO". If you just go ahead and do something no one will tell you you can't or to stop. I learned this from owning businesses in several different cities. You have to look at what is the worst thing that can happen. You may get a complaint and someone will tell you you are doing something wrong and to stop. For the most part it is about money. The cities and counties want to get that fee from you but don't really care.

Your biggest concern is the IRS. File and pay your taxes and you should have no problems. Some cities even allow you to call a PO box a location for a license or one of those mail box places. Another concern is not to bother any on the neighbors and keep a low profile, noise and so on. You can't get in any real trouble either way, I would not worry about it. Try to be a legit as possible though.

Old 04-09-2010, 02:00 PM

5 posts, read 21,512 times
Thanks for the reply! I definitely understand your perspective. In any case, the taxes and legal aspects will be dealt with properly. The main concern we have is that there would be customers coming to the house and, according to the Volusia County zoning, this is acceptable for private music lessons. However, it is something that probably can't go undetected by landlords, and might be a cause for their concern even if the county/city/subdivision does not mind. So, I guess we need to find a landlord who does not object to the possibility, and then confirm with the town that the subdivision does not have any rules against it.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:45 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply! I definitely understand your perspective. In any case, the taxes and legal aspects will be dealt with properly. The main concern we have is that there would be customers coming to the house and, according to the Volusia County zoning, this is acceptable for private music lessons. However, it is something that probably can't go undetected by landlords, and might be a cause for their concern even if the county/city/subdivision does not mind. So, I guess we need to find a landlord who does not object to the possibility, and then confirm with the town that the subdivision does not have any rules against it.
I wanted to add, working from home has become almost the norm. Almost every time you call for a AAA tow or want to talk to a customer service person you are talking to someone sitting in their home office or living room. A computer will answer and then forward the call. My sister-in-law does it and makes quite a bit of money. She does do AAA that is why I used that example. I believe she also does Sears and a few other stores as a customer service person. Cities now want to profit from them so most have created a type of work at home license for such jobs.

Interestingly in Florida they all seem to be called Business taxes and not licenses anymore, I am not sure why. Maybe it is easier to pass a tax then create a whole new classification of license. One thing you should know. Almost never try to take a tax deduction for your home office. Unless you can prove you use it 100% just for business you are just looking for trouble. No reason to be opening any cans of worms just to save a few bucks.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:43 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,585 times
Quote:
Most people avoid this by renting studio space in commercial areas for teaching. I understand it's fairly reasonable by the hour.

If you can't afford this, Daytona Beach is in the process of establishing an "Arts District" (the only one in this region) to gentrify one of the less better neighborhood areas in north downtown. I have some friends there and there are "quiet street" pocket areas you can certainly find a decent place. But it won't be finalized until 2011.

If your landlord is decent, they will qualify for funds to convert detatched garages into studio spaces, but you still might have an issue if she decides to hold recitals for 30 students at a house!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida