Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2010, 12:32 PM

27 posts, read 42,303 times

Advertisements

Hello. Looking for suggestions on a hip beach in Daytona. Just my my hubby and me. Also, places to stay that have a great pool and beach access. Things to see and do. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 07:41 PM

75 posts, read 248,801 times
Daytona has the best beach in Florida. Clean sand, awesome waves. The ocean is so much better than the Gulf. You can walk for miles on the beach. As for the town of Daytona, there are good areas and bad areas. There are quite a few street people/panhandlers/meth addicts, but don't let that discourage you. I live in Chicago and you should see the panhandlers and street people here.
There are alot of good restaurants in the area. Try Booth's Bowery and Dustins BarBQ in Port Orange or Charlie Horse in Ormond Beach. Of course there are good chain restaurants like Olive Garden in Daytona.
Places to stay, try Bahama House or if you have kids they will love the Sun Viking Lodge.
Things to do, if you like Nascar, there is the Speedway. But the best place to be in Daytona is the Beach.

Old 04-12-2010, 04:13 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmx1000 View Post
Daytona has the best beach in Florida. Clean sand, awesome waves. The ocean is so much better than the Gulf.
Hmm...the opposite.

Gulf Coast is clear, calm, soft sand, etc.

Atlantic side is rough, windy, packed sand, etc.

I guess it depends on what someone likes though...

Old 04-12-2010, 07:46 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,117,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Hmm...the opposite.

Gulf Coast is clear, calm, soft sand, etc.

Atlantic side is rough, windy, packed sand, etc.

I guess it depends on what someone likes though...
Agree. And just my opinion (as a Florida native), Daytona is the WORST beach in Florida I have ever been to - I hate the whole "driving on the beach" thing, and a lot of really "iffy" people hang out there. Not my idea of a "hip" beach at all.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:55 PM

191 posts, read 632,673 times
I don't like Daytona either... gulf is much nicer..

Old 04-12-2010, 05:28 PM

67 posts, read 311,880 times
Not a Floridian, but I've been to both sides several times. True, we frequent Daytona the most, but we spent last summer vacation in Treasure Island (my sister wanted to get married on the beach and have a sunset wedding). Let me say this; true, the beach is beautiful there and the water is nice, but the water itself is BORING. Nearly no waves at all... so if you like to play in the water, you'd be sorely disappointed.

I'm almost 30 and I've been to Daytona at least 20 times in my life. I love it, and plan to move to the area in about 2 years... However...

There are plenty of "shady" areas in Daytona. But the solution is simple - avoid those areas. Don't stay in Daytona proper. My advice - Ormond Beach on the north end is nice, and there's still plenty of "stuff." If you want quieter, go south to Daytona Beach Shores. If you go far enough south, you'll be on the no-drive beach, if that's an issue. Also, there's not nearly as many restaurants and activities in Shores... but you may like that.

I'm gonna be staying at the Daytona Beach Resort and Conference Center in late May - I know, its not quite into Ormond, but its really close. Find a condo on VRBO.com or Homeaway.com - cheaper and nicer than a hotel (usually).

Daytona is a great place - I can't wait until some day when I might get to call the area home...

Old 04-12-2010, 06:50 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,924,448 times
I grew up in Daytona, and only left about 2-3 years ago. Anyone who really thinks Daytona is the best beach in Florida probably hasn't been to many other beaches. Daytona is crowded and can be kinda dirty with all of the cars leaking oil and antifreeze into the sand. But, to each his own. Daytona has cleaned up alot in the last decade or so. I can remember when hypodermic needles used to wash up in the surf.

There are quieter beaches like north Ormond and Ponce Inlet when you go further north or south away from the central city (Seabreeze/ISB).

I've never been much of a beach person anyway, so maybe I'm not the best judge as far as what people are looking for.

Old 04-25-2010, 09:31 PM

501 posts, read 1,881,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Agree. And just my opinion (as a Florida native), Daytona is the WORST beach in Florida I have ever been to - I hate the whole "driving on the beach" thing, and a lot of really "iffy" people hang out there. Not my idea of a "hip" beach at all.
Sorry, and your last visit here was...? (THIRTY YEARS AGO WHEN YOU WERE ON SPRING BREAK?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida