Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 08:27 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,905,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
Sad news for those trying to sell, great news for those who want to buy in the next few years...

Are people really buying right now because they think the market's going back up in 3-4 months??? That's hard to believe
Read the other thread on the front page about housing in FL and you will see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 08:29 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,885,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbuyer View Post
That was great !!!!

Old 06-09-2007, 12:51 AM

2,209 posts, read 7,627,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostbuyer View Post

LOL! HAHAHAHA, this is great.

Hey, I'm looking to buy another one. Show me what we're looking for and get ready for an offer. Don't need to sell what we have. Ready, willing, able.

This is a great market..............for a buyer.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:52 AM

14,496 posts, read 26,514,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
Very true Jammie. This thing will spiral downward for a long, long time. Some people are firmly in denial and think a rebound is a few months away. Or that this will follow the pattern of past real estate problems in NY or Mass. They really think some huge influx of retiring baby boomers is going to want all these 3-4-5 bedroom homes with $4000-5000/month carrying costs.

So many converging negative factors are coming together to make the perfect storm for Florida real estate's decade long collapse.

lol- the influx of baby boomers- I am the on tail end of that generation. When you can have 3 acres and a 2,500 s.f. house that isnt cookie-cutter(fully paid off)- and money in the bank- that is retirement. Florida has seen its heyday.

people in Mass are going to Atlanta. My SIL is a millionaire and hates Florida. She already owns land in Maine and NC. Florida has seen its better days.

sunny

Old 06-09-2007, 06:55 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,275,388 times
Good video,finally some truth.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:04 AM

442 posts, read 2,904,963 times
our house was on the market for 5 months , we just took it down at the Advice of our Realtor, things are not selling at the prices that are right for the home , and Im sorry but I have a nice home with a nice yard that im not selling for less than its worth! so we will just sit on it of rnow , and hopefully when the property tax issue is resolved we can but it back on the market at the right price

Old 06-09-2007, 07:19 AM

458 posts, read 593,732 times
AJ67, no offense, but I think you are on the wrong course.

1. You took advice from your realtor.

2. You seem to think if you take your home off the market for a while prices will go up....the exact opposite is true. You will only chase the market down for years and years.

3. You say you won't sell your house for less than it is "worth". Your house is worth what someone will pay for it....end of story. It is not worth what a realtor tells you, not what your neighbors tell you, not what Zillow tells you, not what an appraiser tells you.

4. Real Estate tax relief won't do a thing to help long term. The cuts are 7% and maybe eventually 11%. When you factor in all the other costs the next generation of buyers would have, you would pretty much have to cut real estate taxes to zero...and even that probably would not support these insane prices. And any tax cuts will simply be shifted elsewhere, like cutting education spending. School districts are the number 1 factor for the majority of buyers. Having worse school systems DECREASES the value of homes over time.

I'm afraid so many people will get hammered following the four things you are mentioning.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:47 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,331,663 times
Yeah, a housing report set to rock music. That's how I want to make my major decisions about housing.

Old 06-09-2007, 07:49 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,550,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
AJ67, no offense, but I think you are on the wrong course.

1. You took advice from your realtor.

2. You seem to think if you take your home off the market for a while prices will go up....the exact opposite is true. You will only chase the market down for years and years.

3. You say you won't sell your house for less than it is "worth". Your house is worth what someone will pay for it....end of story. It is not worth what a realtor tells you, not what your neighbors tell you, not what Zillow tells you, not what an appraiser tells you.

4. Real Estate tax relief won't do a thing to help long term. The cuts are 7% and maybe eventually 11%. When you factor in all the other costs the next generation of buyers would have, you would pretty much have to cut real estate taxes to zero...and even that probably would not support these insane prices. And any tax cuts will simply be shifted elsewhere, like cutting education spending. School districts are the number 1 factor for the majority of buyers. Having worse school systems DECREASES the value of homes over time.

I'm afraid so many people will get hammered following the four things you are mentioning.

1. Rather you should take advice from someone posting on an internet forum instead of someone in the industry.

2. If you do not need to sell waiting a little while may be beneficial. The market can go either way, there are many that say it will keep going down for year but other thinking we are at bottom or close to it.

3. You also don't sell your house for less than you want to because it is your house and you have that choice.

4. In the news today was the proposed property tax plan which will give you a huge homestead exemption. I for one think this will bring the market back.
Based on a $200,000 home your taxes could come down by as much as 66%.
When you get over $200,000 the savings percentage will decrease but still be substantial.

Old 06-09-2007, 08:55 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,188,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Florida has seen its better days.

sunny
Perhaps, but I tend to disagree. I love TN and the Carolinas and DH and I have talked of retiring there...BUT would we like it once we get there? I don't know...I remember moving from Tampa to Georgia in the 80's. At first the slow paced, relaxed attitude was nice, but after a few weeks we were bored silly. Going to a restaurant (the the choices were VERY limited) and going to a movie were about it for a night out.

Yesterday, DH and I watched a huge Turkey Hen followed by her 4 chicks peck in the woods from our pool deck. The night before we sat out and heard the calls of wild hogs coming from the woods. We swam and relaxed. Then went to dinner at Hemingways, a first class restaurant at the Grand Cypress Resort. Just after we were seated at our table - we watched the shuttle go off through the huge windows that surround the restaurant. After enjoying an amazing dinner of Tropical drinks and steaks We strolled through the gorgeous tropical gardens and trails around the waterfalls and the grotto pool that weaves in and out and seems to go forever as the Fireworks Show from Disney played in the background. We then drove down the street to Pleasure Island with 2 comedy clubs and 4 or 5 music/dance clubs - a $20 pass gives entrance to all.

Last weekend we had a similar day except we ate downtown and finished the evening at SAKS Comedy Club.

Next weekend we plan to go to the Gaylord Palms Resort. It is amazing! It's 4 1/2 acre roof soars over its Best of Florida Live experience where it recreates 4 Florida areas -

The Everglades with gators and 150,000 gallons of water that support the tropical fish

The Keys with its own 6:30 pm happy hour/party

St. Augustine (complete with a recreation of the Fort Castillo de San Marcos. a museum display with treasures from the Atocha and a recreated Fountain of Youth with dancing waterfalls and fountains

The beach with 2 tons of sand sculptures all surrounded by tropical gardens and scenic waterways.

Then we can have dinner at one of their 3 world class restaurants and top it off at their Jammin' Duel Piano Bar.

Today I am going shopping at Mall of Millenia and the Florida Mall. If I don't find what I'm looking for there, I have 4 other malls within a 20-30 minute drive. I've been known to go to 4 different malls to assemble one outfit! LOL

Thinking about all this - realizing how spoiled we are and comparing it to what it would be like in a small town - even a small city that doesn't have all the entertainment, the variety of restaurants, the shopping, etc. is making us think hard about our decision to move from Florida when we retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida