Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 11:54 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,768,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
I am looking to move to the Tampa bay area.

A little background about myself: 24 years old, 2010 college graduate majoring in Economics, solid work history (worked in a bank, and currently I manage a warehouse for a small business).

Grades in college were not that great, so I dont have a high GPA I can add to my resume. But I have good references from my past employers.

My plan is to move down to the area once I gather up $5000 in the bank. Do you think this is a solid plan? I would like to start a career, but I am willing to take whatever job is offered to me initially, even if it is $9 an hour landscaping or something.

Any advice, tips, etc? I would love to hear from anyone who moved down in a similar situation as me.
With only $5 k, you better shoot for real cheap living like renting a room or going into an apartment with two other guys. Im sure Tampa has a YMCA with rooms for rent which would be pretty good for a young man cause you could work out , swim, and sign up for social activities there (probably at a discount) . Tampa is a very spread out city and if you have a good employment record with an education, I think youd be able to round up something very quickly to at least get you by for awhile. If it doesnt work out and you have a place to return to, then i say go for it ...what have you got to loose. It will be a good experience for you even if it doesnt work out, but, I strongly suspect it will . Id look thru the local Tampa Newspapers in the Job Section to get an idea whats available for starters .

This reminds me of when i was 19 and moved from England to ChicagoLand in 1974 with 2 suitcases, a guitar, and $1000 in my pocket --- got a reliable used car for $400 and had a secure full time job within 2 weeks . What did it , was, determination and God leading me. Good luck ! If i lived around Tampa , you could have lived in my 26' RV very cheapily for awhile ; I like enterprising young men such as yourself...the Pioneer type , you know... like Davey Crockett , Moses , etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 12:00 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,762,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
In your case, yes. But for a single guy willing to do manual labor for minimum wage who can split rent on a $1000 a month house with two other people, $5K can stretch for a year as long as you've got a few hundred a month coming in on top of it and live frugally. I'm getting the impression that he woldn't be renting a truck but packing his stuff in his car and sleeping on an air mattress until he got settled.
Yep, you got me down pretty well.

Just loading up my car and not bringing any furniture with me. Gonna bring my clothes, TV, computer, golf clubs, and some personal belongings. Thats pretty much it.

Very much no frills.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:50 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinsMama View Post
What? Was this because you didn't have jobs? More details are needed. Surely it didn't cost $8,000 just to pack up and move...
Sure it can. I'm looking at $15K just to get to Tampa this July. Oh, and this is doing it ourselves. No full service move happening.

Old 04-20-2010, 06:39 PM

5,644 posts, read 6,206,522 times
I think it's doable in your situation. When I graduated college (which granted was almost 20 years ago now - yikes) I only had a few hundred dollars and I was bound and determined to move to San Francisco. The key will be housing. I had a friend who had a sister in Oakland who was willing to let me sleep on the floor until I got my bearings. I'd only met her once, but was not about to be proud. It took a lot of stress out of things knowing I could have a little time to get an affordable living situation, job, etc. I ended up renting a studio with another recent grad for cheap money and we managed to make it work. For people who are established and have jobs and lots of belongings, etc., I wouldn't recommend it on $5K, but I say go for it. Had I not done something similar I would have ended up stuck in the city where I went to college, which I was not hugely fond of.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:28 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I think it's doable in your situation. When I graduated college (which granted was almost 20 years ago now - yikes) I only had a few hundred dollars and I was bound and determined to move to San Francisco. The key will be housing. I had a friend who had a sister in Oakland who was willing to let me sleep on the floor until I got my bearings. I'd only met her once, but was not about to be proud. It took a lot of stress out of things knowing I could have a little time to get an affordable living situation, job, etc. I ended up renting a studio with another recent grad for cheap money and we managed to make it work. For people who are established and have jobs and lots of belongings, etc., I wouldn't recommend it on $5K, but I say go for it. Had I not done something similar I would have ended up stuck in the city where I went to college, which I was not hugely fond of.
If you would have headed south to Miami you could have just grabbed a cabana on the beach.
You even get a wake up call in the morning by the guys setting up for the day.

I guess it is easier for us guys, at least it was for me.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:26 AM

96 posts, read 186,920 times
Wink Relocating in July 2010.

Well, to help out anyone that is reading this post here is my situation.

My wife and I (30 yrs old, both)are moving to Orlando with a DIY move from NJ. We are renting a truck for approx $1600.00 plus gas, no jobs lined up but very confident that we will as I am an IT technician and computers are everywhere. My wife is a highly experienced Admin Assistant. We are devout Christians and I believe that our faith in the Lord will get us through and allow for us to prosper in the land of Mickey. We are counting with a budget of $9,700 for the whole thing. We are a bit scared about the job situation and fear running out of money and no jobs. But once again....we trust a higher source for our information and promise to prosper (no offense fellow City Data members). We do believe that the will and determination as a lot of people have mentioned makes you or breaks you.

To anyone moving to Florida..... stay strong and trust yourself after trusting the Lord. Stay determined and keep at it.

Old 04-21-2010, 05:59 PM

16 posts, read 31,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Tampa is a very spread out city and if you have a good employment record with an education, I think youd be able to round up something very quickly to at least get you by for awhile. If it doesnt work out and you have a place to return to, then i say go for it ...what have you got to loose. It will be a good experience for you even if it doesnt work out, but, I strongly suspect it will
We need more people like you in the world!

My boyfriend and I are moving to Tampa Bay in 3 weeks with around $10k combined (can get access to more for 'emergencies'). We do NOT have jobs lined up but we are college educated, with great work history and even have family and friends in the Tampa Bay area to help push us along if tough times come. We have our fingers crossed for both of us to get a job within 3 months, which I really doubt will be a problem. If it doesn't work up, we have a place to come home to. Now is the time to go and we're READY!

Anyway, THANK YOU. I know everything will work out the way it should

Old 04-21-2010, 06:03 PM

16 posts, read 31,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJVICK123 View Post

My wife and I (30 yrs old, both)are moving to Orlando with a DIY move from NJ. We are renting a truck for approx $1600.00 plus gas, no jobs lined up but very confident that we will as I am an IT technician and computers are everywhere. My wife is a highly experienced Admin Assistant. We are devout Christians and I believe that our faith in the Lord will get us through and allow for us to prosper in the land of Mickey. We are counting with a budget of $9,700 for the whole thing. We are a bit scared about the job situation and fear running out of money and no jobs. But once again....we trust a higher source for our information and promise to prosper (no offense fellow City Data members). We do believe that the will and determination as a lot of people have mentioned makes you or breaks you.

To anyone moving to Florida..... stay strong and trust yourself after trusting the Lord. Stay determined and keep at it.
I am not a religious person, but your post definitely connects with my situation. My boyfriend and I are moving to Tampa in 2 weeks with $10k in our pocket, no job but a rental house lined up, and positivity in our blood. Thank you for the inspirational words. I wish the best for you too

Old 04-21-2010, 07:33 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJVICK123 View Post

I guess that I don't understand how trusting the Lord will save you, after you have made a decision with so little forethought? I mean, if I choose to make a habit of using illicit drugs, and I tell you that its OK for me to use the drugs because I trust the Lord.... well, is that solid rationale for me to start my heroin addiction?

Come on, you are moving to a state with double digit unemployment, you do not have jobs, and your bankroll is minimal in these tough economic times. You are leaving an area that tends to pay higher wages with benefits for lower skill/ less educated positions to a state truly struggling to find its financial identity. As much as you might believe that your spouse and you are bringing a skill set to the Florida marketplace that might offer you a competitive advantage, the reality of the situation is that you are probably searching for jobs that will pay you no more than $10/hr. Despite computers being everywhere and your spouse being an experienced administrative assistant, you will be one of many seeking the very few opportunities currently available.

It has been said that the Lord will help those who help themselves. Only you can determine how much that you are doing to help yourself, but it sounds to me that this decision is more whimsical than anything else. Now, if you were saying that your spouse and you have secured Florida jobs and are about to begin the next phase of your lives, then the Lord has a chance ...

Good luck (I think that you will need it)!!

Old 04-23-2010, 02:30 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,799,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atozgirl View Post
I am not a religious person, but your post definitely connects with my situation. My boyfriend and I are moving to Tampa in 2 weeks with $10k in our pocket, no job but a rental house lined up, and positivity in our blood. Thank you for the inspirational words. I wish the best for you too
I'm curious how you got the rental house lined up with no jobs. How does the landlord expect you to pay the rent? How much is the rent?

We are moving down in 5 weeks with $88k and I'm a nervous wreck. Of course we have 2 kids (not old enough for school yet). I know we will be ok, but I want to preserve that money to put down on a house once we get settled. Also, I grew up in the area and we both lived there from 2002-2006, so we are going back to the same town where we lived before. We know it like the back of our hand. I also have family in the area for free lodging if needed. (we're going to stay there for a week or so until I find a rental in person so I can check it out)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida