Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 02:42 PM

38 posts, read 160,855 times

Advertisements

I am in Ocala now. Checking out some model homes. They are so pretty and expensive. Well the big houses are expensive. They have some that are priced well that aren't so large. I thought Ocala was very rural. I was wrong. I saw so many stores, and restaurants. I even saw a mall. I went to the schools in the area and everyone there seemed so nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2006, 10:26 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
Default Ocala

BklynMom, you are so lucky to be there now. We have never been there and won't be there until mid-Oct. I got a bit behind in reading so I didn't see your questions until now. Let us know anything you think is significant about the area? Plenty of palm trees? Flowery and plush? Any cascades, waterfalls, or streams or anything of beauty? Are you going to the Theme Park there and if so, are you riding the glass bottomed boats? Oh I'm just excited for you being there. We're actually hoping that the Silver Springs area is something we'll like. In our original search, Ocala's population was listed at just under 50,000 and that sounded great. Well, that was the 2000 census and it's tripled since then. The town we live in has a population of just under 15,000 so we aren't used to large cities. I know a lot of people will laugh at that comment, but to us it's large. We actually plan on driving around a bit and seeing Leesburg, Eustis, etc. Hope you're having a nice time there.

Old 08-15-2006, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie
BklynMom, you are so lucky to be there now. We have never been there and won't be there until mid-Oct. I got a bit behind in reading so I didn't see your questions until now. Let us know anything you think is significant about the area? Plenty of palm trees? Flowery and plush? Any cascades, waterfalls, or streams or anything of beauty? Are you going to the Theme Park there and if so, are you riding the glass bottomed boats? Oh I'm just excited for you being there. We're actually hoping that the Silver Springs area is something we'll like. In our original search, Ocala's population was listed at just under 50,000 and that sounded great. Well, that was the 2000 census and it's tripled since then. The town we live in has a population of just under 15,000 so we aren't used to large cities. I know a lot of people will laugh at that comment, but to us it's large. We actually plan on driving around a bit and seeing Leesburg, Eustis, etc. Hope you're having a nice time there.
Jamie I went to Ocala to look at the area where my husbands friend is buying which is in SE Ocala. We also looked at the model homes. I did not go to the theme park. Not enough time since we only went for the weekend. Ocala was very green. The weather was not as bad as I thought it would be. It was surprisingly breezy and not that humid. During the day it was hot and very sunny but sort of breezy. I must say that when we drove through some communities it was rare to see people out side during the day. When we went to the shopping areas we where surprised to see so many stores and restaurants. We were surprised that the prices at the restaurants were very comperable to prices in the New York restaurants. The restaurants were always crowded and so were the stores. Many people up and about, no wonder they were not in front of their homes. When driving toward the school called Lake Weir we noticed horse farms. This area was more rural than the SE part of Ocala. In the SE part we saw 2 movie theaters and 2 bowling areas. On Saturday night we went to the Reagle Cinema which has 16 screens. We saw the 911 movie with Nicholas Cage. The theater was packed with so many people. I was in shock to see so many teenagers without their parents. There seemed to be hundreds outside the theater. There were whites, hispanics, indian, blacks and oriental teenagers everywhere. Very diverse. They all seemed harmless just out hanging with there friends. It was 12:30 am. When I spoke to the sales person at one of the subdivisions she mentioned that she was surprised that I saw so many teens that late at night because there is a curfew in Ocala. Maybe that is why we saw a police car in front of the theater. While talking to her Several people walked in to get information on the homes. I met an indian family, a white family, and a hispanic family all looking to buy in the area. They all seemed like very nice, good families. The sales lady said that the area was an up and coming area. There is going to be another walmart near that subdivision. She said that Ocala had so much land that is available for sale. The homes in this subdivisions that I looked at where in the mid 200's to mid 300's. The homes range from 1 floor 3 bdrms to 2fl 5bdrms with a den on 1/4 acre lots. I am sure there are even more expensive homes there. It worries me to see that the cost of living is not at all cheap so if people get paid so little as I have read on this forum how will they afford to live there?

Old 08-15-2006, 11:02 AM

99 posts, read 308,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKLYNMOM
Jamie I went to Ocala to look at the area where my husbands friend is buying which is in SE Ocala. We also looked at the model homes. I did not go to the theme park. Not enough time since we only went for the weekend. Ocala was very green. The weather was not as bad as I thought it would be. It was surprisingly breezy and not that humid. During the day it was hot and very sunny but sort of breezy. I must say that when we drove through some communities it was rare to see people out side during the day. When we went to the shopping areas we where surprised to see so many stores and restaurants. We were surprised that the prices at the restaurants were very comperable to prices in the New York restaurants. The restaurants were always crowded and so were the stores. Many people up and about, no wonder they were not in front of their homes. When driving toward the school called Lake Weir we noticed horse farms. This area was more rural than the SE part of Ocala. In the SE part we saw 2 movie theaters and 2 bowling areas. On Saturday night we went to the Reagle Cinema which has 16 screens. We saw the 911 movie with Nicholas Cage. The theater was packed with so many people. I was in shock to see so many teenagers without their parents. There seemed to be hundreds outside the theater. There were whites, hispanics, indian, blacks and oriental teenagers everywhere. Very diverse. They all seemed harmless just out hanging with there friends. It was 12:30 am. When I spoke to the sales person at one of the subdivisions she mentioned that she was surprised that I saw so many teens that late at night because there is a curfew in Ocala. Maybe that is why we saw a police car in front of the theater. While talking to her Several people walked in to get information on the homes. I met an indian family, a white family, and a hispanic family all looking to buy in the area. They all seemed like very nice, good families. The sales lady said that the area was an up and coming area. There is going to be another walmart near that subdivision. She said that Ocala had so much land that is available for sale. The homes in this subdivisions that I looked at where in the mid 200's to mid 300's. The homes range from 1 floor 3 bdrms to 2fl 5bdrms with a den on 1/4 acre lots. I am sure there are even more expensive homes there. It worries me to see that the cost of living is not at all cheap so if people get paid so little as I have read on this forum how will they afford to live there?

They don't. They leave. But if you transfer into the area with a job in place you will probably have better luck.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:44 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,432,349 times
BklynMom, thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how your trip was. It kind of scares me to know the prices in the restaurants were comparable to NY. I've never been there personally, but have a neice who lives there and know that it's not cheap. I'm also hesitant about the fact that the short time you were with the realtor, several families arrived there, too. Could it be turning into a crowded area? It seems that throughout time several people who were on this forum were interested in the area. As far as the prices of homes and cost of living, from a few of the previous things I'd found indicated that it was quite reasonably priced. My guess is that it's changing quickly. When we first started our search, the census from 2000 showed that there were less then 50,000 people in Ocala. Now it appears that it's tripled in size in only 6 years. I definitely still have to work and the wages I've seen there are no better then they are here, but the cost of living is much higher. If money was no object, it'd definitely be the first place we'd head for, but since it is, it may be time for us to reconsider. Are you still planning on living there?

Old 08-15-2006, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie
BklynMom, thank you so much for taking the time to let us know how your trip was. It kind of scares me to know the prices in the restaurants were comparable to NY. I've never been there personally, but have a neice who lives there and know that it's not cheap. I'm also hesitant about the fact that the short time you were with the realtor, several families arrived there, too. Could it be turning into a crowded area? It seems that throughout time several people who were on this forum were interested in the area. As far as the prices of homes and cost of living, from a few of the previous things I'd found indicated that it was quite reasonably priced. My guess is that it's changing quickly. When we first started our search, the census from 2000 showed that there were less then 50,000 people in Ocala. Now it appears that it's tripled in size in only 6 years. I definitely still have to work and the wages I've seen there are no better then they are here, but the cost of living is much higher. If money was no object, it'd definitely be the first place we'd head for, but since it is, it may be time for us to reconsider. Are you still planning on living there?
Jamie I forgot to mention Cracker Barrel a great restaurant because I like the food and it was very reasonably priced. A complete dinner for my husband and I was less than 20 bucks The seafood restaurant was just like NY. So were the fast food places like Arbys. Outbacks was about the same as it is in NY. Cracker barrel serves breakfast, lunch and dinner. But if I keep eating there I will gain 100 pounds because you get so much food for the money. Well Jamie I am sure since you don't want to purchase a new home that the apartments are priced much more reasonable. Remember for me it is more expensive because my family is big. I have 3 children so going out to eat on a regular basis is not a very smart thing for me to do. But for you and your husband I think it is fine. Anyway the kitchens in Florida are so spacious and beautiful that they make you want to cook. Here in NY we eat out to much and I realize it is a foolish thing to do with such a big family. I wish I had all the money I have spent on restaurants. I can't even imagine how much that would be. My husband still thinks Ocala is the best. He likes that it is not as crowded and that it is not too far from Orlando or the beaches. Huricanes and the cost of insurance and the risk of being too close to the beach does not make sense to him. He doesn't want Orlando because it is too turisty for him and crowded. So we will be sticking with Ocala.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida