Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 03:05 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times

Advertisements

We're in Vero Beach and we're still being told at a few restaurants that they lost their draft lines in the hurricanes of '04. You can't even get a Sam Adams draft here. We know exactly what you're saying, came back from the Pacific Northwest recently and we thought we'd gone to beer heaven. They like it yellow and light down here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 07:23 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,980 times
Tell you what, that Bud Light Golden Wheat is one NASTY NASY tasting beer, holy YUCK!!!! Made that mistake tonight, wanting something different....

Old 04-18-2010, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,922 times
grmi- as you can see by the answers here, the answer is no.. you can't just walk into any restaurant/store & find good beer. I moved here from the NE about 4 years ago, and was horrified at the lack of selection here. It took me well over a year to know where to go to find certain things. Why Wal-Mart and most 7-11 stores carry dozens of like-tasting beers is beyond me.

I've been in to certain restaurants that will give me the list of beers on tap, and literally all 15 of them are light lagers. In the Tampa area, Gino's is a good family/italian restaurant that carries a nice selection of bottles & beers on draft. Total Wine on Dale Mabry has the best beer selection I've found in Tampa.

Also, Cigar City Brewing on Dale Mabry apparently is making some quality product, and has a tasting room open several days a week. I need to get out there some day soon.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-19-2010, 11:28 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
Was not trying to stir things up, just was intellectually curious as to why I could not find a decent selection of beer easily. Went out to eat every night last week and it would have been nice to pair some good beer with the good food that I got. Was just surprised that you could not at least get something like Sam Adams on tap.

My point was that without having to go to a specialty store or restaurant I can get a pretty deep selection of craft beers at almost every outlet that sells beer up here in the Northwest.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:47 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Was not trying to stir things up, just was intellectually curious as to why I could not find a decent selection of beer easily. Went out to eat every night last week and it would have been nice to pair some good beer with the good food that I got. Was just surprised that you could not at least get something like Sam Adams on tap.

My point was that without having to go to a specialty store or restaurant I can get a pretty deep selection of craft beers at almost every outlet that sells beer up here in the Northwest.
I think one of the issues you run into when you are traveling to an area that is heavily frequented by tourists is that everything is focused on the brands that have mass appeal. When you go off the beaten path you will find places that have a better selection.

I was thinking of this thread today when I was in the supermarket. I never buy beer at the supermarket because I prefer to go to Crown Liquors. However, I stopped and took a look just to see what they had in the supermarket.

At the Publix nearest my house (Weston, FL) there was a rather large selection of beer. There was half an aisle devoted to beer. The area I live in is affluent and people tend to want the finer things in life and there was a very large selection of beer there.

There were several different varieties of Sam Adams, a number of South American brands (my area is heavily populated with Colombians and Venezuelans), a whole bunch of wheat beers, some interesting looking microbrews, as well as beers from the standard large beer companies. They had Duvel, Boddingtons, Guiness, Bass, Hoegarden, Newcastle and a whole bunch more that I can't remember.

I think that if you want good beer you have to get out of the touristy locations and look in the more residential areas of FL. I enjoy shopping at the specialty market because the manager of the store is such a pleasure to work with.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:13 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Quote:

Every Publix I've ever been in carries a dozen or so microbrews, and I wouldn't exactly call Publix a "specialty store."

Old 04-19-2010, 12:50 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,475,666 times
The Publix stores that I went to had maybe 10 craft beers, 2-3 variations of Sam Adams, Anchor Steam and a few others, nothing to get excited about. I could not find an IPA style beer anywhere in the grocery store and they had no pints of craft beers. A lot of the craft breweries only distribute pints, not 6 packs. Must be a west coast and northwest thing to have a decent selection of craft beers in every grocery store. I double checked at Wal-Mart last night and they had a better selection of craft beers than anyplace I went to in Florida.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:30 PM

1,000 posts, read 3,347,776 times
Dare I say the pub at the United Kingdom pavillion in Epcot?

Old 04-19-2010, 02:02 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,907,231 times
Quote:
The Publix stores that I went to had maybe 10 craft beers, 2-3 variations of Sam Adams, Anchor Steam and a few others, nothing to get excited about. I could not find an IPA style beer anywhere in the grocery store and they had no pints of craft beers. A lot of the craft breweries only distribute pints, not 6 packs. Must be a west coast and northwest thing to have a decent selection of craft beers in every grocery store. I double checked at Wal-Mart last night and they had a better selection of craft beers than anyplace I went to in Florida.
IPAs are not that popular here. Other higher end beer (like wheat beers) are more popular. You should have no problem finding them at any grocery store in a RESIDENTIAL neighborhood, at least in SE Florida.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:46 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,122,930 times
Crap, I am screwed. Hardly any Microbrews? Seriosuly? I live in a state with a population of 650,000. There are 4 microbrews here and 2 companies that make Vodka in Alaska. I will miss my Alaskan Amber and Alaskan White beers. Alaskan Brewing Co is sold in every beer store here. Crazy....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida