Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 09:00 AM

11 posts, read 37,193 times

Advertisements

Yes we actually stayed at a friend's house in Jupiter while we were there. I found it to be too dead for us. No life at all there. But we didnt have time to explore Jupiter and I heard its very nice there. Is Boca in Palm County? I think we will wind up going to PBG first just because my fiance's job is there. Do you know if I start working in a school in Palm County then move to another one does that count towards my tenure? Does it have to be in the same district?

Its so hard to decide all of these things from here now (NY). I agree with you that PBG is a bit snobbish but it is nice there and I think we will be OK for 1 yr there, then rent somewhere else after we've ad time to explore. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 09:03 AM

11 posts, read 37,193 times
More questions about Palm Beach Gardens:

We visited some apartment communities there including San Merano and Mia Flores. Any recommendaions/comments?

Again- if I start teaching in one school in Palm County and then move to another one after a year in the same county, will it count towards my tenure? Does it matter what district its in or does it just go by county?

Old 07-31-2007, 09:36 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,570,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Palm Beach Gardens is really nice, with decent schools, and is about 15/20 minutes from West Palm. It's a little snobbish IMO, but it's really nice. In a way, I would pick Boca over Palm Beach Gardens (schools can be a little better), but PBG is also less congested and crowded (Boca borders right on Broward, which means more crowds(but not crime, like some on here will claim). Did you check out Jupiter? Jupiter is PERFECT! The schools there are probably the among best you will find in south Florida.
"Snobbish", you think Boca isn't "Snobbish" you have to be kidding me. More Snobs per capita behind Palm Beach. Just go into Neiman Marcus or Saks in the Town Center and look for all the Nip Tuck and Dr.90120 types. Ya you will see snobs all over but Boca is full of them.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:37 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,784,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
"Snobbish", you think Boca isn't "Snobbish" you have to be kidding me. More Snobs per capita behind Palm Beach. Just go into Neiman Marcus or Saks in the Town Center and look for all the Nip Tuck and Dr.90120 types. Ya you will see snobs all over but Boca is full of them.
The entire county is full of them, except for those large ghetto pockets. You all seem to hate your neighbor to the south because of that reason.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:39 AM

Quote:
The entire county is full of them. You all seem to hate your neighbor to the south because of that reason.
Nope I like Boca too but PBG is no way a comparsion of Snobbery lol they say in Boca don't carry your nose to high you might drown in the rain!

Old 07-31-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Nope I like Boca too but PBG is no way a comparsion of Snobbery lol
I was referring to the poverty stricken county below you, Broward County, lol. I actually find shopping at The Gardens that people are equally snobby. Same thing for Wellington Green. Boynton Beach Mall used to be full of grumpy old people, now its going for the thugs. In general though, I guess Boca has more of the nasty "new money" attitude than any of the other cities.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie813 View Post
Yes we actually stayed at a friend's house in Jupiter while we were there. I found it to be too dead for us. No life at all there. But we didnt have time to explore Jupiter and I heard its very nice there. Is Boca in Palm County? I think we will wind up going to PBG first just because my fiance's job is there. Do you know if I start working in a school in Palm County then move to another one does that count towards my tenure? Does it have to be in the same district?

Its so hard to decide all of these things from here now (NY). I agree with you that PBG is a bit snobbish but it is nice there and I think we will be OK for 1 yr there, then rent somewhere else after we've ad time to explore. Thank you!
Boca is in PBC, but it's so far south to commute to PBG. Forget it. Palm Beach Gardens is definitely the better choice, especially if you work there! The main thing Boca has going for it is the schools. I forgot whether good schools were important to you or not, which is why I was recommending Jupiter. Palm Beach Gardens is definitely a good place to settle, and its close to all of the amenities of WPB, minus the crime.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I was referring to the poverty stricken county below you, Broward County, lol. I actually find shopping at The Gardens that people are equally snobby. Same thing for Wellington Green. Boynton Beach Mall used to be full of grumpy old people, now its going for the thugs.
Boynton Beach Mall is the new Palm Beach Mall.

Town Center use to be a normal'ish mall years ago, now it's upscale same goes for the Gardens now becoming more upscale.

Wellington Green is teeter tottering in the middle, still clean but sorta becoming full of those shady off brand stores selling perfume and street wear clothing. They have a lot of problems with shoplifting and loitering too. It's a kiddie hangout but they saved some issues not putting a movie theatre there, also Palm Tran has many stops there coming from the east side of PBC if you know what I mean?

Old 07-31-2007, 09:59 AM

Quote:
also Palm Tran has many stops there coming from the east side of PBC if you know what I mean?
Bus terminal!!!!! That reminds me of shopping at the Publix on Young's Circle in Hollywood. The store is fine, but they have the bus terminal behind it, and that kind of brings in the "characters". Is Wellington really going downhill though?? The last time I was there (about maybe 4 months ago) it was full of upscale retailers, including a Coach store.

I can't shop in Broward. It's not that the people are that bad (people wise, I will take Broward Mall over Boca or Boynton any day I think!), but the actual shopping is atrocious. The only decent mall is the renovated Galleria Mall. Well, actually most of the malls in Broward are "regular" malls...PBC has really upscale snobby malls and really unsafe malls where they have shootouts during holiday shopping season...

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-31-2007 at 10:10 AM..

Old 07-31-2007, 10:16 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,157,766 times
Quote:
I can't believe you are saying that , I got the same impression. I had to go there, I think it was the Town center, to the Apple store and the place looked like something out of a movie. Older men with their young what ever's on their arm spending their money. Old women dressed like 30 years younger then their age all made up, and can we say Botox. Then I go in the Apple store and they are usually snobbish anyway in those places but this was even worse. I get discriminated against all the time anyway but I could hardly get served, I guess they thought I was a panhandler. Here this creepy minimum wage kid talking down to me. I could not wait t get out of there. I will take my redneck friends any time over those types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida