Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 07:06 AM

93 posts, read 284,359 times

Advertisements

Yeah, But the boomers will be here. all the boomers will move to florida and save the day ! Green card or not !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 07:55 AM

109 posts, read 392,950 times
Default State stooges

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridamove2 View Post
Yeah, But the boomers will be here. all the boomers will move to Florida and save the day ! Green card or not !
I happen to agree, but many here don't give much weight to the power of the retiree even though they are like "lemmings" in numbers.

The oldest Baby Boomers turn 62 next year and will be eligible for Social Security(whoopee). Florida wants them bad, but the state has decided to micro manage Property tax collection causing a very expensive and inequitable system that will help keep many away from the Sunshine State unless the State acts quickly.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:25 AM

458 posts, read 598,843 times
There will not be an influx of retirees coming to Florida. In survey after survey by the AARP, many will continue working at least part time into their 70s. The Carolinas, TX, GA, AL all were attractive retirement areas for them. Many want to be active and near their families. Others like the allure of safe college towns across the US. Almost all want areas with the lowest possible property taxes.

Read todays housing bubble blog about all the condo projects still being built despite a 3 year supply already. Any retirees that come will choose these, not 3-4-5 bedroom single family houses.

My parents are very active in several large retiree groups. Not one person they have met has ever mentioned retiring to Florida. Retiring to Florida has taken on a joking cliche status to today's retirees...it is so 1980-1990.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:09 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
There will not be an influx of retirees coming to Florida. In survey after survey by the AARP, many will continue working at least part time into their 70s. The Carolinas, TX, GA, AL all were attractive retirement areas for them. Many want to be active and near their families. Others like the allure of safe college towns across the US. Almost all want areas with the lowest possible property taxes.

Read todays housing bubble blog about all the condo projects still being built despite a 3 year supply already. Any retirees that come will choose these, not 3-4-5 bedroom single family houses.

My parents are very active in several large retiree groups. Not one person they have met has ever mentioned retiring to Florida. Retiring to Florida has taken on a joking cliche status to today's retirees...it is so 1980-1990.
Florida is evolving and many cities still don't know what they want to be when they grow up. One minute it's one thing something, something else the next. There has never seemed to be a long term idea where Florida was going. I don't see retirees as what it wants anymore. It wants to grow as a state with more then just old people. They need some industry here and a way for young families to prosper. I don't know how it will be done but this place has too much going for it to be business as usual anymore. Everything here has taken place in like the last 50 or 60 years and that is very young for a state. It's not crashing and burning, it is just getting started but needs some real ideas and change for it's future.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:21 AM

Default I here what you are saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post

I'm old school Jim as I still remember the Jacky Gleason Show recorded in Miami and his opening comment; "How sweet it is" as he donned a killer tan and puffed his cigarette. They may not be coming now but it's a suckers bet to count Florida out of the retirement scene for too long. Especially if housing prices continue to fall.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 AM

193 posts, read 489,845 times
I gotta agree with Hondax and macguy. Housing has dropped 30% and everyone says it is the begining of the end of the world. I read all that but I also look around at what is happening all across the state.

I 75 is being widened all the way down to Charlotte harbor. Many North South Blvds' in North Port are also being widened. In South Venice the amount of development STILL going on is amzing. Here in Sarasota we have a fellow who is building a one BILLION dollar development. Work has already started.

As Greenspan once said this is a crumudgeon. Some people say its crashing and others are putting BIG $ saying otherwise. I don't know who is right or wrong but my instinct tells me that this bubble correction or whatever is over by the last quarter of this year. Then the roller coaster starts up the next hill. The research on demographics, migration, employment etc that these big corps' do is telling them the same thing and they are putting up their $ now. No one wants to be old & cold. I hope this blog/thread continues for another 3 years, by then todays housing prices will seem cheap and we can all look back to doom and gloom with a smile.

Annnnnd away we go!

Old 06-12-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Crazy Googenheim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacious View Post
Annnnnd away we go!
I forgot about that one,....lol. What a great memory,....thanks Audy!

Old 06-12-2007, 12:14 PM

471 posts, read 1,661,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacious View Post
I hope this blog/thread continues for another 3 years, by then todays housing prices will seem cheap and we can all look back to doom and gloom with a smile.

Annnnnd away we go!
And how in the world do you expect middle class America(which is well on it's way to becoming the new poor) to afford higher prices when the problem today is that they can't afford the current prices?

In my opinon this is thinking typical of those speculator and house flipping "get rich quick" investors.

Old 06-12-2007, 12:34 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cariad View Post
And how in the world do you expect middle class America(which is well on it's way to becoming the new poor) to afford higher prices when the problem today is that they can't afford the current prices?

In my opinon this is thinking typical of those speculator and house flipping "get rich quick" investors.
Industry. Florida has always resisted it but the reality is we need some big companies to come here. I remember when we were supposed to become the movie capitol but that never panned out. Turn some of that central Florida farm land into industry and let the cities grow around it. We are not talking about all this taking place in 12 months but there has to be some kind of plan for the state. Right now most of it other then the coast line is just a waste.
And by the way, what is wrong with speculators? It is not illegal or immoral to make money. The only people who knock that are the ones who don't have any or don't have the balls to make any.

Last edited by macguy; 06-12-2007 at 01:02 PM..

Old 06-12-2007, 12:59 PM

193 posts, read 489,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cariad View Post

Right now and probably for the next 6 months or so there are PLENTY of affordable houses out there. Look around, they are all over the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida