Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 10:18 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times

Advertisements

Thursday morning satellite image.

Gulf Oil Spill Creeps Towards Mississippi Delta : Image of the Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:22 AM

2,414 posts, read 5,401,157 times
Default Crist declares state of emergency

Florida declares state of emergency in 6 coastal counties - CNN.com

Old 04-30-2010, 10:29 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
latest news on BP profits ----

-------------------------------------------------------------------
BP has smashed City forecasts with a 135% jump in profits, thanks to rising oil prices.
The energy giant reported profits of $5.6bn (£3.6bn) in the first three months of 2010, up from $2.4bn a year ago.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

thats 5 billion bucks they could put towards the clean up

oh and in the Uk we are paying $1.80 A LITRE at the pumps right now
thats over 7 dollars a gallon !!!!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:41 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
Yep, let's do more drilling off shore and kill and pollute more than we usually do. I understand this doesn't happen all the time, but it still does and when it does it devastates the environment. People are always about protecting the environment, recycling blah blah blah, but then they want to have more off shore drilling. They contradict themselves. I don't understand it at all.
ROGER...let's go back to RICKSHAWS...and of course our four legged friend to Horse

Old 04-30-2010, 10:44 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
Those in the UK only have their government to blame for gas being so darn high. UK taxes the heck out of gas. UK is way closer to the source where most oil comes from than the US is.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:55 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,666 times
(( So sad.....I love my beautiful beaches on the Panhandle. How long do you think this will affect us? I am hearing all different time frames. Apparently, they can't burn it off b/c of the weather.... Is this accurate?

Old 04-30-2010, 12:53 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMERALDGIRL View Post
(( So sad.....I love my beautiful beaches on the Panhandle. How long do you think this will affect us? I am hearing all different time frames. Apparently, they can't burn it off b/c of the weather.... Is this accurate?
There is no way to tell yet. Depends what type of oil and how much of it comes on shore. There is still evidence of the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill which happened in 1989. If you dig a couple inches down you come across oil from this spill. Some areas are cleaned up better than others. We just have to sit and wait and see what happens. At least Governor Crist seems to be making a good effort on protecting Florida as much as he can by already calling a state of emergency.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:09 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaKash View Post
There is no way to tell yet. Depends what type of oil and how much of it comes on shore. There is still evidence of the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill which happened in 1989. If you dig a couple inches down you come across oil from this spill. Some areas are cleaned up better than others. We just have to sit and wait and see what happens. At least Governor Crist seems to be making a good effort on protecting Florida as much as he can by already calling a state of emergency.
I am very fond of the beaches of the panhandle and hope it won't be as bad as it seems like it will be.

I wonder what emergency measures can be taken. I've read about the 'boom'/foam barrier that is used to absorb and block some of the oil, they will try to cap the leak --no luck yet--and another leak is said to have developed. The Coast Guard/Air Force are spraying some sort of solvent into the oil. Burning seemed to be effective in one area and more burning will take place in the future but still the oil gushes forth at least 5,000 barrels a day.

Even if BP is forced into bankruptcy I don't see an end to such disasters. Obama promised the matter would be investigated and that everything possible to prevent this from happening again would be done. That's good but--it so discouraging that I just can't see the end to the problems. Fishing industry destroyed for how many years---in GA several decades ago there was an infection of some sort of 'algae'/bad chemical and the shrimp and oysters were affected for years. Then there's the tourism industry---I just don't know in the Gulf area can survive such a loss.

Fingers crossed that there is a ray of hope somewhere.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:07 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,520,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
latest news on BP profits ----

-------------------------------------------------------------------
BP has smashed City forecasts with a 135% jump in profits, thanks to rising oil prices.
The energy giant reported profits of $5.6bn (£3.6bn) in the first three months of 2010, up from $2.4bn a year ago.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

thats 5 billion bucks they could put towards the clean up

I always hope for higher gas prices. It's the only thing that will ever force America off of being dependant on unstable nations.

Old 04-30-2010, 08:48 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Were you trying to minimize the problem? If so, why?
I'm not trying to minimize the problem, I hope most of the oil is contained just like everyone else. I do get a little irritated when people try to use this accident as an excuse to go off on a political rant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida