Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 03:27 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,752,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD* View Post
mango, Im from Tallahassee and still here after 24 years... Its a fabulous place, you will like it.
My Brother-in-law lives there. He works for the government, (You would know his name). He is from NY and when he moved there he never would have believed he would like it but now he doesn't want to live anywhere else. I think that I would be happy somewhere on the fringe of Tallahassee. There is some rural areas where I can get my few acres and piece and quiet while having a nice town of a good size just a shirt drive away. They also have a few good pool rooms. Are you originally from Tallahassee? What area of town do you live or do you live a bit out of town?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,837 times
Default Recently moved to Florida (I hope u are white) as this state has no other colors!

We (husband and I) recently moved from Colorado where people are all kinds of colors. We have been here for 6 months and if you are not white, [mod]racist[/mod] you might have problems. The confiderate flag is still waving here. Pretty weird not scary.... Never thought "the south" was this far..................

Give it more than a week, maybe 6 months, and then what?????????

Last edited by doggiebus; 05-27-2010 at 08:30 AM..

Old 05-25-2010, 07:05 PM

49 posts, read 274,058 times
Thank you mango23 for sharing your info. Do any veterans know of VA clinics in the Chipley area?

Old 05-25-2010, 07:38 PM

18,125 posts, read 11,759,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingup View Post
Thank you mango23 for sharing your info. Do any veterans know of VA clinics in the Chipley area?

I found this site on VA Hospitals and Medical Centers

Facilities in Florida - Locations

Old 06-03-2010, 09:26 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Mango, I've found that people, in the end, are happiest in an area that very closely resembles the population that are use to. You can go up or down a bit, but nothing too drastic.

In other words, west of Tallahassee, on the fringes, will probably be perfect.

I now live in The "real" South, and folks are just naturally talkative and friendly, but the bigger cities are just as friendly but much more forgiving regarding looks, religion, etc., than the smaller outposts.

Tallahassee will still be different, but in a good way. And there will still be things to do. Your poor wife deserves to move, already.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:34 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,031,451 times
Probably, all things considered, Tally is your best bet.

Having said that:

Mango, I seem to remember that you spent time in Port St Joe, correct?
We definitely had some culture shock there, but still, the people were mostly very kind--and many were forward-thinking. The good times we had there were so good.
The beauty of the beaches there simply took my breath away. But I know a person needs more than gorgeous surroundings to make a life.

I do think that PSJ is*slowly* joining the 21st century, and we had quite a few simpatico friends during our 20 months in PSJ. Many dispersed after the JOE Co. layoffs. A few are still there.

There used to be a couple of pool halls in Mexico Beach, just east of PSJ, but I don't know if they still exist.

FWIW, they have closed the Arizona Chemical plant on the east side of town.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:43 PM

1,468 posts, read 4,752,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Probably, all things considered, Tally is your best bet.

Having said that:

Mango, I seem to remember that you spent time in Port St Joe, correct?
We definitely had some culture shock there, but still, the people were mostly very kind--and many were forward-thinking. The good times we had there were so good.
The beauty of the beaches there simply took my breath away. But I know a person needs more than gorgeous surroundings to make a life.

I do think that PSJ is*slowly* joining the 21st century, and we had quite a few simpatico friends during our 20 months in PSJ. Many dispersed after the JOE Co. layoffs. A few are still there.

There used to be a couple of pool halls in Mexico Beach, just east of PSJ, but I don't know if they still exist.

FWIW, they have closed the Arizona Chemical plant on the east side of
town.
I was at my shop today doing so work and the TV was on the Sundance channel. The was a documentary on there called
"For the bible tells me so"
I ended up watching the whole thing and it was kind of shocking to me the hate those people have for anyone who doesn't agree with them. I have been thinking about it all day. I was suposed to go this weekend and look at a forclosure that is just what I am looking for about 3300 sq ft house on 5 acres right in the area I have been thinking about. I am a little sick thinking what I could be getting myself into moving to an area like that, not Tallahassee by way 40 miles west.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:41 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,402,932 times
I wouldn't move into the panhandle with this oil spill going on. Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:15 PM

39 posts, read 74,140 times
Good luck in your search Mango. We've been looking for some secluded property for years now. Oddly enough we ended up with a piece of land just west of Live Oak. As I've been in the city my whole life I'm sure being 8 miles out of town, and a small town like Live Oak, will be an adjustment. Personally, I know myself and I can wonder around my acreage alone for days on end and it won't bother me. My significant other I'm not so sure about. She's been more than encouraging to make the move, but I don't see it in her.

We've had the place for about a month an a half now. It was a basket case (still is) that I was able to buy dirt cheap, even by Live Oak standards. There's only one neighbor withing normal walking distance that I'm likely to see. He's a very nice old guy that is unfortunately moving to the city to be close to medical facilities. One of the first things he did was invite me to join his church. One of my rules of survival is don't talk politics or religion, and right off the bat this guy ropes me in. Now I could manage to sit through a service or two without it bothering me, I'm a people watcher and day dreamer so I can do most anything for a little spell. But what I can't do, or won't do, is leave my dog alone. If he can't go with me, I don't go, unless it's mandatory. But I did it in a manly way, I told him my "wife" would probably love to go.

I don't let it get to me as I don't take it as a life sentence. It wouldn't bother me to put the place right back up for sale if I don't like it. I lived in the same house for 26 years and figured I die there. Adapting to change hasn't been one of my virtues. I sold out due to it's proximity to water with the inherent inability to get insurance, and the constantly rising property taxes. Now that I've pried myself out of that "never change" rut, I'm a regular rolling stone.

Good luck in your search.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:34 PM

33 posts, read 149,293 times
I love the Panhandle. We live in Pace, we are definately growing here, everything has moved from 98 north to Hwy 90 after Ivan. And now that BP has ruined the Gulf, the wildlife, and peoples livelyhoods. This area will probably continue to grow. I like Chipely and Marianna, I just LOVE FLORIDA. I don't miss the big city thing though. I have been all over our GREAT state. I don't miss the big city thing AT ALL. ( grew up in St. Louis ).We have everything here, less people for sure....Hunter, Gatherers,lots of Camo, less beachy overall....My world is beachy and Flaboyant....Life is what you make of it..Very Nice People
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida