Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 10:13 PM

142 posts, read 455,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngageGuy1 View Post
For me it's just dealing with odds. Yes, oil could wind up in Fort Lauderdale. At this point, it looks like it could end up on my front door here in South Carolina. I'd like to still give Florida a fighting chance though, and I'd just as soon do it as far away from the origin of the oil as I can. If that comes to bite me in the butt, then (like I said) I guess it'll be a pool-side proposal. I hope to everything that it impacts as little as it can and I wake up tomorrow and they've dropped the hoods on this thing earlier than expected.

You're right, no one can predict where it's going, though. Just where it is. I think it is a big mistake (and unfortunate) for people to start assuming or imagining that Pensacola or PCB are painted black right now or smelling like a gas-station, but unfortunately those fears are going to happen in this sort of event. I don't have cable news, so I don't know how much reporting is happening on the ground, but it seems like we could use some more local reports to clear up misconceptions. A lot of folks I talk to (local, coastal, SC people) aren't even really aware of the scope of this disaster. Yet.

I have been all over the internet everyday since this started and you are right I still can not find a provider of minute by minute reporting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2010, 10:26 PM

For some reason I think that the beaches in this area will be saved. Don't ask me why. But, I am so scared that it just might outline the entire coast of Florida all the way up to NC.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:35 PM

If all of the beaches here were distroyed covered with oil what would happen to the panhandle Florida? Would the streets here to be covered in oil due to the cleanup? I really love it here now it has grown on me and my family and I would hate to leave but I could not live here without any income coming in. Our income is based on the vacation rentals. I to feel like crying it has been one thing after the other since September 2007 and I am tried.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:02 AM

3 posts, read 10,672 times
we are planning a vacation here on the 16th of June, I don't know whats going to happen but I prepaid for my room in advance and has a "no refund" policy. So I think I pretty much either have to come or just lose my money and take no vacation at all! This is very sad I love pcb and wouldn't even know where else to go, maybe Myrtle beach or VA beach? I really want to hold off before cancelling to see where this goes by the first week of June.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:20 AM

2,040 posts, read 3,863,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilelady View Post
For some reason I think that the beaches in this area will be saved. Don't ask me why. But, I am so scared that it just might outline the entire coast of Florida all the way up to NC.
There is a little part of me that also thinks that this little slice of heaven we call home, might also be spared. I have to be realistic and realize that there is a slim chance that we will come out of this unscathed. I like to be optimistic though....

It's so uncanny that the beaches here and on the Outer Banks are my favorites..... I do not even want to think about this ruining the beautiful beaches of NC, too. I am so sad and heartbroken over this disaster.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:23 AM

I was watching this video today and thought everyone might like to see it. Every morning I wake up and run to the window hoping and praying that I am not going to see oil outside my window. Today the water looks nasty due to the storms we have had the last few days. I really am wondering now why did we the people allow them to put an oil rig in middle of our ocean.

BP does not have any state of the art equipment and it is still operated by man. Man can never be accident proof. This thing is still leaking in three places and we the people have no way of stopping it because we gave all the power, knowledge and control to BP.

I am sure that when there was talk of this rig going into the middle of our ocean I was consumed with my own problems and did not pay attention to what was happening. The one thing I know I will do the rest of my life and that is not to purchase a gas hog vehicle.

I have been riding a Vespa LX150 and a Yamaha Virago 250 here in Destin for two years now. The Vespa gets 60 miles per gallon, the Yamaha get 80 miles per gallon and they have taken me and my daughter to work every day that Vespa has taken me everywhere I want to go and that includes all over Austin, Texas (rain or shine).

I guess I decided years ago when I sold my Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab that things had to change. I felt more stupid driving that huge truck around Destin, Florida then I do riding my Vespa around Destin. I owned the truck before due to my business and hauling hard tiles. Now it’s possible due to the oil being carried onto the roads we won’t be able to drive either one of them safely.

........... http://www.democracynow.org/2010/5/3/bp_oil_spill_worsens_with_no

Old 05-04-2010, 08:30 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
hey there i just talked to a friend of mine who lives in pensacola and she did say that they have noticed some oil on stalks coming up out of the water not sure what stalks she was talking about but yeah I dont think pensacola or destin or pc is going to be unscathed . I think it will wash up and you will see the effects for yrs they have in alaska as my uncle lives there and he says it is still a problem there and they always worry about it happening again . okay so this spill is supposed to be bigger than the alaska one wow . Just cannot imagine . My friend did say if they got it bad she was putting her place up for sale and leaving even though she likes it , her husband has some kind of seafood restaraunt and he would have to sell out . this is really bad and they are really worried . I will pray for them and you all .

Old 05-04-2010, 09:19 AM

Default Selling their business and home

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
hey there i just talked to a friend of mine who lives in pensacola and she did say that they have noticed some oil on stalks coming up out of the water not sure what stalks she was talking about but yeah I dont think pensacola or destin or pc is going to be unscathed . I think it will wash up and you will see the effects for yrs they have in alaska as my uncle lives there and he says it is still a problem there and they always worry about it happening again . okay so this spill is supposed to be bigger than the alaska one wow . Just cannot imagine . My friend did say if they got it bad she was putting her place up for sale and leaving even though she likes it , her husband has some kind of seafood restaraunt and he would have to sell out . this is really bad and they are really worried . I will pray for them and you all .
I almost want laugh I don't believe if our beaches are cover with oil anyone will be selling anything who in thier right mind would buy a seafood business or a home in an area with oil covered beaches and gas fumes. Sounds like chapter 7 to me. We have been selling units and homes for 50 percent less than they were four years ago with white sugar sand on our beaches.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:11 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I hope the effects won't be 'as bad as they could be' for the entire area but particularly Pensacola. IIRC, they have just started work on Maritime Park, a community center---new baseball stadium, maritime museum and a conference center for the University of West FL--as well as shops, restaurants and recreation areas. To open in 2011. It sounds like it would really boost the economy in Pensacola and the surrounding panhandle. I enjoyed the pristine beaches of Fort Walton on many occasions and believe the area is due for prosperity.

No one has really mentioned what could happen if the gulf area has several significant hurricanes this year. Fingers crossed that won't be an added problem.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:07 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austintilelady View Post
I almost want laugh I don't believe if our beaches are cover with oil anyone will be selling anything who in thier right mind would buy a seafood business or a home in an area with oil covered beaches and gas fumes. Sounds like chapter 7 to me. We have been selling units and homes for 50 percent less than they were four years ago with white sugar sand on our beaches.
i understand that but was just repeating what she had told me I did notthink she would be able to sell the restaraunt . very sorry if it hits you . i was just repeating what she said so sorry you found it funny . to each his own i guess .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida