Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 06:56 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,693,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I moved to Daytona Beach from Alaska then moved back to Alaska because of the family business. I moved to Orlando from Australia then to San Francisco. I moved to Boca Raton from San Francisco then to Alaska because of another family business. I currently live in San Francisco, but plan to move back to Florida in about three years either Orlando or somewhere in South Florida.

Reasons why I left:

-I wanted mountains or at least hills.
-I wanted mild weather.
-I wanted an urban atmosphere.
-I didn't want to have to drive everywhere.
-I wanted authentic Asian restaurants and culture.

Reasons why I want to come back:

-I want warm beach weather.
-I want a nice home with a pool without having to fork over a couple million dollars.
-I want a yard.
-I want easy parking.
-I want a tropical atmosphere.
Have you considered Hawaii?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 07:21 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Have you considered Hawaii?
I looked into it before. I love visiting Hawaii, but I worry about feeling too isolated. I get that feeling in Alaska and it's slightly closer to the the continental US. The main reason is the cost factor. A $500k home in Orlando would be around $1.5 million in Oahu. I love San Francisco and San Diego, but again the cost is so ridiculous. I do see where you are coming from because Hawaii is tropical, lots of Asians, has mountains/hills, beautiful beaches, warm weather and homes aren't as crammed as in San Francisco. The isolation and cost though push me toward Florida.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 AM

103 posts, read 230,584 times
Here is my story......I grew up in Ocala and couldn't wait to get out of Florida. My dream was to live in or near NYC. So at 21 I moved to CT with some friends, ended up meeting my ex husband, had kids, etc.....now it's 25 years later and I'm hoping to move back to Florida in July. I'm really looking forward to being around my family, who all mostly still live there, and away from the cold & snow! I also want to raise my kids in a more laid back atmosphere, get away from the grind of a NYC suburb, and have a better quality of life. When I think back to my childhood, I have awesome memories of growing up in Florida and I'd like to give my kids the same. So if all goes well, we'll be heading down to the Citrus County area next summer!!

Old 03-13-2013, 07:37 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
...snipped....Reasons why I left:

-I wanted authentic Asian restaurants and culture.

...snipped...
how about the little Saigon area in Orlando and

Eastside Asian Market - Orlando, FL

there were 112 listings in the yellow pages for Asian, Korean, thai and Vietnamese restuarants in Orlando, Fl. Also,

Quote:
Florida
A thriving Vietnamese quarter called "Little Vietnam" exists in the Colonialtown district of Orlando, Florida. The neighborhood has become a landmark in the city of Orlando and consist of a countless, and always growing, number of restaurants, groceries, and Vietnamese professional offices that serve the local Vietnamese community with everything from taxes to medical and dental care. Stores supply Asian pop-culture to the community in the form of karaoke bars, Boba tea shops, Vietnamese video and music shops, and stores featuring candies and collectibles from across Asia. The heart of the district is the intersection of East Colonial Drive/HWY50 and Mills Ave, also known as the "Vi-Mi" district.
The Orlando Vietnamese community has its roots in war refugees seeking a new life in America after the fall of Saigon. Notable pro-democracy activists, such as Thuong Nguyen Foshee, who was just recently released from prison in Vietnam, call Orlando their home.
The Vietnamese Community in Orlando, along with institutions like Long Van Temple, St. Philip Phan Van Minh Church, Vietnamese Baptist Church, and groups such as The Vietnamese Association of Central Florida, strive to maintain their heritage as well as share their culture with the rest of Orlando. Annual events, such as the numerous Tet New Year Celebrations at the Central Florida Fairgrounds and across the city, help spread Vietnamese culture and promote diversity throughout Orlando.
Little Saigon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

just a thought.....

Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
how about the little Saigon area in Orlando and

Eastside Asian Market - Orlando, FL

there were 112 listings in the yellow pages for Asian, Korean, thai and Vietnamese restuarants in Orlando, Fl. Also,

Little Saigon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

just a thought.....
Thanks! My favorite Thai and Korean restaurants in the city are located there. However, it really isn't the same as the the ones you'll find in San Francisco, Seattle, Los Angeles (examples). It's still good there are options though. It's understandable though because Asians make up a small percentage in Orlando and Florida in general.

Old 08-11-2014, 11:21 AM

11 posts, read 24,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psonio7 View Post
Started in Philly 0-18 years old..

All since 1999..
Daytona Beach 99-02
Philly 02-03
Orlando 03-05
Miami 06
Philly 06
Denver 06-08
Philly 08
Orlando 09-10
Philly 10
Orlando 10-11
Tampa 11-...

Every time I left fla, I thought I wouldn't come back, but here I am, once again 3 round trips so far.. I think I'm staying a while this time around.
So which coast do you prefer? East coast, Jupiter to Ft.Lauderdale or West coast, Tampa to Sarasota?

Old 08-11-2014, 12:31 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk1968 View Post
So which coast do you prefer? East coast, Jupiter to Ft.Lauderdale or West coast, Tampa to Sarasota?
That post was written 3 years ago. They might not come back to answer you. Always check the dates on the threads - many of them are quite a few years old and the posters are no longer here.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:47 PM

11 posts, read 24,581 times
Thanks Starfish, I knew it was old but thought that perhaps they might respond.

Old 08-11-2014, 03:24 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
I fall under this category.

In 2009 my (then) girlfriend and I decided to give our deteriorating relationship another shot and move to Florida. While in CT, I was pulling in almost 65k/yr but was getting a little bored with life. I quit my job, moved to Florida with her because you know... the grass is greener. Three months after we moved, we got to a big fight and she left leaving me with everything. I got pretty depressed and it started to show at work... got fired and ended up in a very bad position.

More info on that little story linked here : http://www.drphil.com/slideshows/sli...22&showID=1129 (yes I was on the Dr. Phil show)

My father had since moved to Charlotte, NC and I didn't want to come back home at the time. I decided to try to live with my dad for a little while and get a job. Work was incredibly difficult to come by and the "southerness" of the area was a bit more than I could handle. After a year of trying to get over my break up with this girl, I decided that I needed to go back home and be with friends so I can clear out my head.

A year after returning home I for some crazy reason decided to come back to Florida because I thought I enjoyed my time here. Cost of living was low and my father had since moved to Lakeland, FL. In some ways this was a good move, in others not so much. Lakeland was way worse than Charlotte on the "too southern" scale for me. I found a job in Clearwater, FL and made my way over to Pinellas county. The environment here is much better than Lakeland and the temperature is much lower.

I've begun to start missing my friends and family once again and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be leaving Florida again for good. I won't be returning here as it is far too warm and humid for my taste. Even four years down the line and I still hate the heat here. I stayed in hopes that I would eventually get used to it (I didn't).

Beyond the weather, I also have had difficulty with finding high paying positions. They all seem to stick within the $10-$15 range and there is little competition to drive these pay rates up. I can't stay here stuck at low pay rates... I would never forgive myself. Moving back to Connecticut to get back on the wagon of high pay and better quality of life.

Last edited by wolf39us; 08-11-2014 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 04:12 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Good luck to you. If the situation here is right for you that is just what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf39us View Post
I fall under this category.

In 2009 my (then) girlfriend and I decided to give our deteriorating relationship another shot and move to Florida. While in CT, I was pulling in almost 65k/yr but was getting a little bored with life. I quit my job, move to Florida with her because you know... the grass is greener. Three months after we moved, we got to a big fight and she left leaving me with everything. I got pretty depressed and it started to show at work... got fired and ended up in a very bad position.

More info on that little story linked here : Dr. Phil.com (yes I was on the Dr. Phil show)

My father had since moved to Charlotte, NC and I didn't want to come back home at the time. I decided to try to live with my dad for a little while and get a job. Work was incredibly difficult to come by and the "southerness" of the area was a bit more than I could handle. After a year of trying to get over my break up with this girl, I decided that I needed to go back home and be with friends so I can clear out my head.

A year after returning home I for some crazy reason decided to come back to Florida because I thought I enjoyed my time here. Cost of living was low and my father had since moved to Lakeland, FL. In some ways this was a good move, in others not so much. Lakeland was way worse than Charlotte on the "too southern" scale for me. I found a job in Clearwater, FL and made my way over to Pinellas county. The environment here is much better than Lakeland and the temperature is much lower.

I've begun to start missing my friends and family once again and I'm pretty sure I'm going to be leaving Florida again for good. I won't be returning here as it is far too warm and humid for my taste. Even four years down the line and I still hate the heat here. I stayed in hopes that I would eventually get used to it (I didn't).

Beyond the weather, I also have had difficulty with finding high paying positions. They all seem to stick within the $10-$15 range and there is little competition to drive this pay rates up. I can't stay here stuck at low pay rates... I would never forgive myself. Moving back to Connecticut to get back on the wagon of high pay and better quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida