Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 03:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,556 times

Advertisements

My husband and I want to move to Daytona, we are empty nesters, we have a dog. I have a degree in Information Technology, he is a hospitality/Hotel GM. Starting to look for employment Daytona/Ormand Beach area. Any jobs pertaining to Information Technology? When we vacation there, we love the beaches and the hotels and the general feel of relaxation..Since we are not getting any younger (we're both 44) We want to move and start a new life.

My current field of employment is Executive Administration trying to switch to IT field.

Comments/suggestions.. Where to start looking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 01:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
When doing job research be aware that Daytona and Daytona Beach are two different towns..
Quick Google search looks like there are plenty of jobs in the area lets hope you can find something in your field.
Google

Other threads may be of use = //www.city-data.com/forum/flori...rida-work.html
Along with the sticky at the top of the page

Old 05-07-2010, 08:51 AM

191 posts, read 632,636 times
i don't like daytona it's slummy... Those beaches are nothing compared to the gulf. i'd like in clearwater/sarasota area...

Old 05-07-2010, 10:26 AM

Yeah the pier area aint what it used to be, further north in Ormand beach or up to Flagler the beaches can be quite nice.

Old 05-07-2010, 07:25 PM

13,611 posts, read 7,915,420 times
Daytona and Daytona Beach are NOT two different towns. It's one city called Daytona Beach. "Daytona" is just what people call it for short.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:20 PM

574 posts, read 2,044,593 times
FSUMike is right! The whole thing, both the beachside and the mainland side, are called Daytona Beach. Other nearby areas which basically connect with each other here in the Daytona Beach area are South Daytona, Port Orange, Holly Hill, Ormond Beach, Ormond By the Sea and New Smyrna Beach.

Since this is a tourist based economy here he shouldn't have a problem getting a job. I am not sure about you, though we do have places like universities and colleges, hospitals, etc. where you may want to apply. Try University of Central FL, Daytona campus, Daytona State College, Bethune Cookman University, Embry Riddle Areonautical University and Halifax Medical Center. You may not be interested at all in working in those environments. If so, let us know. I am sure someone around here will have some ideas.

Good luck and wow, empty nesters already at 44! I'm 51, my DH is 58 and we still have a 10 y/o at home!

Nancy

Old 05-08-2010, 01:18 AM

501 posts, read 1,881,723 times
Arrow Welcome!

Pffft!

How do I reply to such ignorance? ...
when people OUTSIDE the area have such great perceptions from their visits 20 years ago as Tourists?
BUT ARE THEY ACCURATE NOW?

(I'll be getting on the Montreal Forum soon with my insights from MY visits there a ways back!)

Hmmm...

There's a STICKY POST at the top of the Florida Forum on general info. about relocating/employment issues.

Here are a few links about Daytona Beach you might be interested in for starts:
Downtown/Beach Street Neighborhood Areas:
Our Daytona Beach - Rebranding Our Neighborhoods, Reimagining Our City
Beachside/Main Street Neighborhood Areas:
Our Daytona Beach - Rebranding Our Neighborhoods, Reimagining Our City

Oh and yeah, here is a map of National Register Historic Districts in Daytona Beach you might be interested in moving to (which are hard to come by in the rest of Florida, since MOST of it was developed AFTER WWII):
http://www.heritagepreservationtrust...hdistricts.pdf

Last edited by daytonadewd; 05-08-2010 at 01:33 AM..

Old 05-08-2010, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Daytona and Daytona Beach are NOT two different towns. It's one city called Daytona Beach. "Daytona" is just what people call it for short.
You are right ,where did i ever get the idea it was two separate cities, its a misconception i've been under since the early 70's

daytonadewd sorry for upsetting you with my ignorance.It came from the time back in the 70's when i was living in Flagler Beach while constructing the Bunnel high school..

Last edited by jambo101; 05-08-2010 at 03:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida