Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 07:24 PM

2,414 posts, read 5,399,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
PENSACOLA BEACH, Fla. — A Florida beach might get hit with oil from the Deepwater Horizon accident for the first time Wednesday as sheen likely caused by the accident was reported less than 10 miles off Pensacola Beach.

Oil could hit Florida Panhandle by Wednesday (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/state/oil-could-hit-florida-panhandle-by-wednesday-720986.html - broken link)

Florida's tourism is vital to getting the entire state's economy back up and running. This oil leak could do some real damage to the state's road to economic recovery.

Hopefully, not.
Oh no.

I heard it's washed up on Alabama and Mississippi beaches today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 05:30 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoRE_Miracle View Post
Oh no.

I heard it's washed up on Alabama and Mississippi beaches today.
A spokesperson for Pensacola had proposed that the top layer of white sand be removed but that idea was vetoed. The frustration of 'waiting' for a disaster such as this to arrive must be beyond frustrating.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:45 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,596,703 times
Graphic shows BP's next strategy to halt Gulf oil leak | NOLA.com. Others have said and I agree that BP's efforts are focused more on recovery than stopping the leak.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:32 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,477,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaKaren View Post
Graphic shows BP's next strategy to halt Gulf oil leak | NOLA.com. Others have said and I agree that BP's efforts are focused more on recovery than stopping the leak.
I heard that some believe not enough is being done for recovery and BP should focus on stopping the leak.

I am resigned to hearing 'every angle', once again.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:41 AM

another setback:

Stuck blade stalls BP effort to cap well - CNN.com

Old 06-02-2010, 08:42 AM

Oil slick moves close to Florida beaches - Green House - USATODAY.com

Old 06-02-2010, 10:45 AM

96 posts, read 736,431 times
No, not oil on the beaches of Pensacola! I am very sad to hear about this oil spill hitting any beach, anywhere. But the idea of those sugar-white beaches of Pensacola being fouled just breaks my heart.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:51 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I heard that some believe not enough is being done for recovery and BP should focus on stopping the leak.

I am resigned to hearing 'every angle', once again.
I think the big mistake was not to focus on the spill and clean 100% right from the start. The government had no means to stop the leak, that was for BP. It sure as hell could have mobilized a clean up effort even before we knew if we would even need it. That was the failing. They were not out in front of this thing and have been playing catch up ever since. We have no way of knowing if it would even have made a difference but it would have been the right thing to do. The worst case would have been the spill was nothing and we had a dry run for the next time and maybe learned a thing or two.

I think what we come away with from all this be it Katrina, the Iraq war, and now the spill is. Our government is an illusion of security. In fact our entire nation is an illusion and falsehood that has been pulling the wool over the eyes of the world for years. Take away our military and our bombs and we are pretty much nothing. We are arrogance with little to arrogant about. The rest of the world is getting a chance to see behind the curtail and there is not much there. I think we are only years from being a failed country, you can only fake it so long.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:02 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,748,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Curt View Post
No, not oil on the beaches of Pensacola! I am very sad to hear about this oil spill hitting any beach, anywhere. But the idea of those sugar-white beaches of Pensacola being fouled just breaks my heart.
I just saw a story on the Exxon spill today and they took a shovel and dug down maybe a foot on the beach and they hit oil in the sand, over 20 years later. You can not clean it up, it is not possible. They can skim it off the top but beyond replacing the whole beach, it will always be there. The reporter said the beach still smelled like a tar pit.

This damage will be beyond what they are even telling the public. Some are even saying contact with the areas where the oil gets even years later may pose a health hazard where no one will want to lay on that sand again, ever, much less let their children dig and play in it.. We always live believing things will get better and this too will pass. Not always the case, this is like a cancer and you don't always get better. The only question now is how bad will it be.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:13 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,119,787 times
Gee, who would have ever thought that the beaches in Corpus Christi Texas would end up being nicer than the beaches in Florida? This oil better stay away from Florida beaches and frankly, Florida needs to pull out all the stops to try and keep it away if possible. The state should know better than relying on the Feds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida