Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 03:01 PM

16,421 posts, read 12,507,028 times

Advertisements

I don't entertain, so I don't have a need to have containers to send home with people. But the question makes me giggle because it reminds me of my grandmother. She had a cabinet chock full of empty Cool Whip containers, margarine containers, mayonnaise jars, pickle jars, used/washed ziploc bags, and TV dinner trays (the old aluminum ones). Nothing was ever thrown away. It was washed and reused. It was frustrating finding anything in the refrigerator ... grab the margarine and open it to find fuzzy stew that had been forgotten. But it was great for sending people home with leftovers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 03:07 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,872,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
...grab the margarine and open it to find fuzzy stew that had been forgotten...
Ha ha!! That reminds me of my fraternity days. Guys would come back from the holidays with leftovers and toss them in the frat house fridge, never to be eaten. A month or two later those same containers (many of them margarine tubs) would still be there.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:11 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
oh, that reminds me of my other trick. I keep a roll of painters tape in the kitchen and use that, along with a sharpie, to label leftovers. You can use masking tape too but since I also sometimes use it on my good containers (the non-dollar store/margarine/yogurt, etc ones) I prefer the easier to remove painters tape.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
I brought my mom's plastic containers back from Thanksgivng on Christmas and refilled them with leftovers. I'll probably bring them back sometime in January once all the containers have been emptied and cleaned. I only have glass containers, so its easy to remember what needs to go back to my mom.

I never have dinner parties at my house. If I did, I wouldnt have any containers to send home with people. I would only send things off in containers I don't expect to get back, not sending my glass Pyrex containers off forever. I'd probably just go by the dollar store and get some cheap containers for people to have.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:50 PM

4,187 posts, read 3,400,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Yep, it's that time of year again. We're either cooking the big meal or we are going to someone's house for the big meal. The meal's over and the leftovers are getting put away. However, those returning home certainly want some of that turkey, ham, gravy, and most certainly some of that incredible dressing to take with them.

So, you open your cupboard and, lo and behold, you just don't have enough containers. Also, you don't recall aunt Martha bringing any containers back from last year - or EVER.

How do you solve this dilemma?

Do you just let guests use the containers you have?
Do you buy some cheap containers for your guests?
Do you bring your own containers?
Do you disallow take-aways?
Do you and your guests make sure there aren't any leftovers?

Chinese take-out containers, which we get at a restaurant supply store. They work with everything! And ya don't want 'em back.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Chinese take-out containers, which we get at a restaurant supply store. They work with everything! And ya don't want 'em back.
Now, why didn't I think of that??? And those things always seem to hold twice their volume.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
...I only have glass containers, so its easy to remember what needs to go back to my mom...
I love those glass containers with the click-lids. They are so easy to clean, easy to reheat, and they don't retain residual odors from my Moroccan and Indian leftovers.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:02 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
zip lock baggies

Old 12-27-2017, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
zip lock baggies
Those have always been our last resort because of the mess with gravy, cranberry sauce, and scalloped oysters. However, it's certainly a valid option, and we've used them on occasion.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:11 PM

4,693 posts, read 3,472,283 times
I learned the hard way to buy cheap take out containers to send food home. I buy these
Dart Solo Dart 8" x 8"x 3" Clear Plastic Hinged Food Take-Out Container 1-Compartment (pack of 50) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JH4HAAW..._eGcrAbRVXD2VW
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink